SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 22nd April 2007, 15:46

Default beta-blockers and asthma

Has anyone out there asthma managed to get beta-blockers prescribed?

My doctor refused to prescribe them because I'm asthmatic.

But I've read on the internet somewhere that you can get low dose beta-blockers that aren't dangerous to asthma.

I desperately need them because I have to give a presentation at a conference next week. I know from experience how much my voice cracks, hands shake etc

I'm wondering whether to do a blitz of the doctors in my area - signing on as a temporary patient in an attempt to find one who'll prescribe it. But there's no point if they never prescribe them to ashmatics, so it would be handy to know if there are any athsmatics who've managed to get a prescription.

Also, do you know if they impair your ability to think straight?

Any information would be much appreciated.

Bill
Old 23rd April 2007, 00:07
Founder

Default Re: beta-blockers and asthma

I have friends who have used beta-blockers for presentations and such-as far as I know they don't impair your ability to think straight. But I'm afraid I can't help about the interactions with asthma-a quick google search seems to indicate it's not a good mix.
Good luck with your presentation. Keep in mind that many people are very nervous for them and people do understand. Sorry I couldn't give a better response!
Anne
Closed Thread