SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Room with a View
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 26th February 2024, 20:28

Talking Eating slowly

Ive just been reading about how we should all take around 20 minutes to eat a meal as this is more mindful and contributes to better digestion.
I dont know about you but I certainly dont take that long...at most 10 minutes. So now Im thinking of trying to eat more slowly...as its less stressful .

Does anyone else take a really long time to finish a meal? Is it conscious or not? I would be interested to hear your ideas and experiences.

Any particularly for Chess...how long does it take for you to get through your fruit jellies?
Old 26th February 2024, 20:41

Default Re: Eating slowly

Longer time chewing makes eating slowly much easier. And beneficial as you describe. But there are more advantages.

Ideally eat a mixture of soluble & insoluble fibre (mixed vegetables) prior to your main meal. Wait 20 minutes. Then eat your main meal.

Eating the fibre and waiting 20 minutes starts the process of making the hormone GLP1. The result is, when you eat your main meal, you will start feeling full quicker and eat less overall. Do that over time and you'll lose weight. Mainly the visceral (belly) fat.

GLP1 is the satiety hormone. The skinny jabs people use to lose weight contains semaglutide. The main purpose of s/tide is to flood your system with GLP1. The end effect is you simply eat less because you feel more full and consequently shed weight. You should do some weight bearing exercise when losing weight to keep up muscle strength or you'll struggle to lift the remote control (slight exaggeration )
Old 26th February 2024, 21:39

I'm not sure of the exact time it takes for me to eat a fruit jelly, Angela. Mainly as I'm usually on autopilot when I have a utensil in my hand. I'm the same way with a feather duster, but that's another story!

As for eating meals in general. Again, I can't be exact, but I do like to watch sitcoms when I'm eating a meal. So a sitcom usually lasts about 24 minutes and I find that I'm ready to launch a shuttle before the end credits.
Old 27th February 2024, 08:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by genovese
Longer time chewing makes eating slowly much easier. And beneficial as you describe. But there are more advantages.

Ideally eat a mixture of soluble & insoluble fibre (mixed vegetables) prior to your main meal. Wait 20 minutes. Then eat your main meal.

Eating the fibre and waiting 20 minutes starts the process of making the hormone GLP1. The result is, when you eat your main meal, you will start feeling full quicker and eat less overall. Do that over time and you'll lose weight. Mainly the visceral (belly) fat.

GLP1 is the satiety hormone. The skinny jabs people use to lose weight contains semaglutide. The main purpose of s/tide is to flood your system with GLP1. The end effect is you simply eat less because you feel more full and consequently shed weight. You should do some weight bearing exercise when losing weight to keep up muscle strength or you'll struggle to lift the remote control (slight exaggeration )
I didn't know that, thank you. I'm not sure it'll work for me in practice, but I will try that.
Old 27th February 2024, 08:41

I take at least 20 minutes to eat a meal, but I think that has a lot more to do with portion sizes than eating slowly; having said that, I do eat more slowly now than I did when I was younger, but I am also aware that I don't eat as slowly as I should.
Old 27th February 2024, 10:29

What sitcoms do you like to watch Chess?

Well this morning I had breakfast ...( scrambled eggs and tomatoes) and I timed myself. It took me 8 minutes and 21 seconds!!
I noticed that it was a lot less stressful when I was going really slowly...quite enjoyable really.
I think it might be easier to stretch it out over 20 minutes with a larger meal!
II think I see the value in slowing down too! Its quite a challenge though! Anyone else feel free to join me ?
Old 27th February 2024, 12:19

A lot of it depends on the meal I'm having, Angela. To me a sitcom is like a fine wine when I'm dining for one. Where it helps to accentuate the meal. So for example, if I'm eating a bombay bad boy pot noodle, then I need to watch an episode of Frasier. Where the runtime of that show is about 23 minutes. And after eating that bad boy pot noodle, I'm definitely running before Frasier sings "Goodnight, Seattle". So there is an art to choosing the right sitcom for the right meal.
Old 27th February 2024, 12:25

Why aren't you eating tossed salad and scrambled eggs whilst watching Frasier
Old 27th February 2024, 12:43

Id like to have a meal with you! Can you imagine us sitting there with our pot noodles and jellies?
Old 27th February 2024, 12:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shy_pretty_Angela
Can you imagine us sitting there with our pot noodles and jellies?

Old 27th February 2024, 13:10

You know I had a curry pot noodle the other day and I was looking at how to prepare it.. because Im OCD like that...and someone wrote that you need to eat one with a tablespoon...
Now they were so right!! So much easier and you dont drip sauce all over your self!!
I had been struggling with a fork for many years...and my local pot noodle support group were no good for advice....
Old 27th February 2024, 13:27

I would love to sit down and eat pot noodles and jellies with you, Angela. But unfortunately I'm spoken for.

*waves at Genovese*

Which reminds me, you'll be getting a double helping tonight! Big Daddy is hungry!

Anyway, back to the grind!
Old 27th February 2024, 13:39

You eat everything with a spoon? Thats quite an interesting concept!!