SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

View Poll Results: Where do you like your coffee best?
Anonymous big chain like Costas or Caffe Nero 5 35.71%
Local independent cafe where they know your name 6 42.86%
Save money and just have coffee at home 3 21.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 2nd April 2024, 01:48

Default Coffee shops - do you prefer independents or chains?

I read a book one time about coffee shops where some of the respondents said they felt the indie coffee shops were a bit hipster and exclusive and they actually felt more comfortable in a Costas or a supermarket cafe. I can see how some people like the anonymity of a Costas, once in a while I go to the one in the main train station and enjoy the peoplewatching.

At the same time I used to enjoy a neighbourhood cafe mainly because it was just a short walk away. It has now closed as a cafe and repurposed itself as a venue for small gigs and workshops. But I felt a bit ambivalent about the personal service aspect, them greeting me by name each time and asking about my hobby (watching American football online). In my case I was always worried about being poorly sometime I visited there and saying something stupid which I would regret when I was more stable.

Which do you prefer - anonymous big chain coffee shop, independent cafe with personal service, or saving money and always having coffee at home?
Old 2nd April 2024, 08:24

Default Re: Coffee shops - do you prefer independents or chains?

Independent, for sure. The coffee is always tastier.

Having said that, some of the proper hipstery places charge a lot for a thimble of coffee.

I've never felt judged or unwelcome in the independent places. If anything, they're friendlier and chattier because they want you to come back. That can be scary from a SA point of view. I quite like that though.

I'll go wherever I'm invited though and my favourite high street place is probably Cafe Nero.
Old 2nd April 2024, 08:58

Blergh coffee
Old 2nd April 2024, 10:04

Mood
Cynical

^ Yep, no coffee for me either.
Old 2nd April 2024, 10:19

Mood
Tired

I don't really travel about enough to encounter many indie coffee shops, unfortunately, although what ones I have seen seem to be very small places with very little seating.

I also think the general cleanliness of some big chains leave a lot to be desired,

I actually don't mind M&S coffee,. it's usually very tasty and the staff seem okay.
McDonald's coffee is actually okay as well, although I rarely visit,.. just on the odd long motorway journey,
Old 2nd April 2024, 16:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFG_
Blergh coffee
Yeah, you're bitter enough, ent ya?

Old 2nd April 2024, 17:42

^ all tastes like old socks to me.
Old 2nd April 2024, 17:54

I prefer pubs.
Not for coffee though, I don't drink that stuff.
Old 2nd April 2024, 18:15

I don't go to them. The last place I had coffee in was a motorway service station while meeting an SAUK friend. I always feel anxious in places like that.
Old 2nd April 2024, 19:04

It's very rare that I go to coffee shops these days, but when I do, it's nearly always a brand. Only for the fact that I like the feeling of anonymity in branded shops. Whereas independent shops, I usually find them to be more welcoming. Of course that's a nice way to be, but it can also be taxing when you don't feel 100%. Which is why I sometimes love surly people. Those kind of interactions are like ecstasy to me. For example:

Taxi driver:

Do you mind if I put on the radio and not say a single word for the entire journey?

Me:

Anyway

I'm suddenly in the mood for a Nescafe 3 in 1 sachet!
Old 2nd April 2024, 19:25

Mood
Musical

Depends what's nearby at the time.... i try to do independent when i can though!
Old 2nd April 2024, 21:49

Mood
Alienated

I tend to prefer the independents. There’s a couple I’m a regular at but I feel perfectly anonymous in them, so you don’t just get that with chains. It’s hard to predict though, as another independent I go to are very chatty and recognise me - which is great, but I have to be in a certain mood to go there - which sounds bad, but sometimes I’m just really not up to telling them what I’ve been up to or what I’m doing - I get anxious I’m going to sound strange or boring. However, when I’m in a good mood, I quite like that.

Anxiety aside, I tend to find the coffee in the chains quite rank, as well as the general cleanliness and the toilets. The staff often cold and miserable (don’t blame them). They also tend to get loud teenagers in them.
For some reason though, Cafe Nero often tends to be an exception. There’s a couple in my local area and the staff are really friendly and it’s clean. Almost feels like an indie if it wasn’t for the generic signs and branding. I do sometimes go there.

I actually find pubs a bit easier anxiety-wise now, especially the ones where anyone can go in and you get a really good mix of different people. The gastropubs are a bit too posh for me though. Can certainly understand why pubs are not for everyone though for various reasons.
Old 2nd April 2024, 22:25

^ that's interesting that you and anxiouslondoner prefer the pub atmosphere. I find them a bit too loud and find it hard to hear in them. Although one I go to has really nice coffee and it's a bit of a quirky place. Plus you can order at your table, through their website, which is great because a) the bar is quite high up and I feel tiny, and b) I find the standing around waiting to be served part awkward and I can never quite get in. There's usually some fella that notices and lets you get in before them though.
Old 4th April 2024, 19:38

I go to coffee shops more to read than chat.
Costa & Starbucks have a much more light & airy vibe and are more conducive to chats, meet ups and writing a Hollywood screenplay.
Nero have a more dark and rustic vibe, so offer the best of all worlds. It's also dog friendly.

As previously mentioned, some independents can be quite small and cramped. Get sat next to someone having a loud chat is a bit of a killer if you're reading.

Since Brexit & lockdown there's a massively high turnover of staff in all the chains. Pre 2020 you would definitely get the repeat customer recognition at the chains as happens pretty much always in the independents.

Side note, only a couple of weeks ago I was introduced to pouring cream. I don't really give a shit about coffee, I'm happy with a bottle of water.

But goddamn, black coffee with pouring cream is allllllllright!
Old 4th April 2024, 19:55

Source:
Old 4th April 2024, 21:34

Mood
Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tembo
I tend to find the coffee in the chains quite rank, as well as the general cleanliness and the toilets. The staff often cold and miserable (don’t blame them). They also tend to get loud teenagers in them.
This, ^

Coffee shmoffee, you can't beat a good old fashioned cup of tea and a rich tea biscuit.

Coffee tends to upset my tum slightly and makes me pee a bit too frequently.
Old 5th April 2024, 05:55

In the couple of years since I discovered Yorkshire Gold, it's always been my favourite. I won't order tea when out in case it's just PG Tips or something. Twinings Assam, Clipper and Bewleys would be OK if I ever got bored of Yorkshire Gold. I prefer Oat Hobnobs to rich teas and they stay intact and don't dissolve into a sludge at the bottom of a mug. Much as I am willing to pay more for a fancy coffee than I would pay for a tea, I drink multiple cups of tea a day. I could give up coffee if I had to for some medical reason, but I would really miss tea if I had to do without it. I drink a mug of water in the morning and another in the evening to wash down my meds, but in general I find plain water quite boring.
Old 14th April 2024, 08:30

I drink my coffee at home. I can buy a kilo of beans for the price of two coffees in a coffee shop.

I have visited the occasional coffee shop in the company of others, or when desperate. Sometimes, I have visited a chain with someone who is a regular and my companion has been recognised and greeted by warm and friendly staff, so I don't have the same experience of staff in chain establishments that others have had. Personally, though, if I need a coffee and have to buy one, my preference is Wetherspoon (unlimited refills for £1.59) or McD's (£1.29 or 1500 points and the coffee is actually better than Costa).
Old 14th April 2024, 11:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregarious_introvert
...if I need a coffee and have to buy one, my preference is Wetherspoon (unlimited refills for £1.59)
That's interesting GI. My local Wetherspoon's unlimited coffee is £1.04. I always thought the prices were set at corporate level. Clearly not.

My preference for coffee out used to be Nero or Costa (in that order). Now I've retired I tend to use Wetherspoon's to save a few quid. I still do Nero or Costa as an occasional treat though.
Old 14th April 2024, 11:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Crunch
That's interesting GI. My local Wetherspoon's unlimited coffee is £1.04. I always thought the prices were set at corporate level. Clearly not.
No, they have different sets of rates, according to area (Central London, for instance, is on the highest rate). I didn't know they still went as low as £1.04 though, that reminds me of the times (before the refills) when they used to lower it to 79p in January.
Old 14th April 2024, 12:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Crunch
My local Wetherspoon's unlimited coffee is £1.04.

My preference for coffee out used to be Nero .
Allow me to reduce so many of your £1.04's going to that **** Tim Martin.

Order one (or more ) free PAYG Sims from Three.
Use the sim to access the Three+ rewards where you can avail yourself of their weekly "any drink for a quid" at Nero.

And drink on, MacDuff!
Old 14th April 2024, 14:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by genovese
Allow me to reduce so many of your £1.04's going to that **** Tim Martin.

Order one (or more ) free PAYG Sims from Three.
Use the sim to access the Three+ rewards where you can avail yourself of their weekly "any drink for a quid" at Nero.

And drink on, MacDuff!
Please send me a full list of all your deals and freebies

Sent from my 23021RAA2Y using Tapatalk
Old 15th April 2024, 09:06

I chose local independent cafes, but I don't know why they would know my name... none I've ever been to have asked what it is so they can write it on a cup, that seems like mostly a Starbucks thing. If they asked my name out of interest/nosiness I probably wouldn't go back. I'd feel it was an attempt to increase business by convincing me they care about me, and I'm too cynical to fall for or enjoy that kind of thing. When I used to sometimes work from coffee shops I'd rotate between a few local cafes so that I didn't feel I was taking the piss with any (though I stopped that a long time ago now since the pandemic ruined it). Thankfully there are lots of options near me for nice cafes.

(A lot of people here seem to think coffee shops only serve coffee?)
Old 15th April 2024, 13:50

Mood
Alienated

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits
^ that's interesting that you and anxiouslondoner prefer the pub atmosphere. I find them a bit too loud and find it hard to hear in them. Although one I go to has really nice coffee and it's a bit of a quirky place. Plus you can order at your table, through their website, which is great because a) the bar is quite high up and I feel tiny, and b) I find the standing around waiting to be served part awkward and I can never quite get in. There's usually some fella that notices and lets you get in before them though.
Tbh depends on the pub really! The ones I go to are often fairly quiet and peaceful. And since Covid and the cost of living issues, I rarely find pubs are packed. I tend to find Wetherspoons pubs (well, I guess you can call them pubs) quite anxiety provoking as they still get very busy as they severely undercut the other pubs and tend to be a little rowdy!

Many pubs I go to feel quite inclusive, a lot more than their stereotypical past. Perhaps more so than some coffee shops, some of which feel a bit too posh for the likes of me!

This is of course meant to be about coffee shops so I apologise for talking about one of my favourite subjects! Think I need to avoid pubs for a little bit though and try a few more coffee shops.
Old 15th April 2024, 16:41

^ pubs also have a smell to them that I'm not all that fond of!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen.
(A lot of people here seem to think coffee shops only serve coffee?)
I thought that initially. Why is everyone only talking about coffee? Then I realised that the poll question is asking where people like to get their coffee, so realised that's why everyone is talking about coffee specifically.

Also people who don't like coffee/tea are similar to vegans - they have to tell you in the first 2 seconds on knowing them. It's vital information .
Old 15th April 2024, 16:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen.
I choose local independent cafes,
And every Christmas you give them this card