SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 21st September 2017, 23:06

Default Very very fed up. Sorry to rant :(

Fed up of trying too hard, worrying about what others are thinking and being trampled on. Have just completed 6 well being sessions and had a bit of a cry. The person I was seeing said they felt like they were leaving me in the lurch as it was the last one. Just can't stop overthinking.

I could try counselling next but not sure it's for me tbh.

Been a rubbish day. Am tired.
Old 22nd September 2017, 08:05

Mood
Lonely

Default Re: Very very fed up. Sorry to rant :(

It can be exhausting .... i'm the same... overthinking, dwelling, worried about how people perceive me and therefore holding back...

Slowly learning to be a little selfish in that regard and trying to unload.... but its difficult...

I personally didn't get on with councelling as it just seemed to meander... i'm about to start guided CBT based therapy next week so hoping to focus on these aspects....

I'll let you know how it goes...
Old 22nd September 2017, 10:28

Sorry to hear that you***8217;ve been finding things tough Northern Natterer. I hope that you feel a little better today
For what it***8217;s worth, I don***8217;t think you have ranted at all, but even if you had no need to apologise as you are among people who understand the frustrations of struggling with social anxiety.

It***8217;s a pity that your well being courses have come to an end. Were they group based? Did you find them helpful? Six sessions doesn***8217;t sound very long to me but I guess if it is an NHS service the requirement for places is never ending.

Although I haven***8217;t had counselling myself I know of someone who did and it helped them immensely - I think that was down to the fact that they had developed a strong relationship with the Counsellor and, as they had gone privately, they were able to have as many sessions as they needed.

I would suggest to give Counselling a go purely because what have you got to lose - apart from the overwhelming anxiety of course!
Although Counselling is not for everyone, equally A LOT of people have found it to be invaluable, especially if they feel unable to talk about certain issues to family/friends. If the Counsellor is empathetic then you***8217;ll naturally feel more comfortable to talk about your problems. And if you don***8217;t click with the first Counsellor you see then it***8217;s always worth trying a different one who you may feel more at ease with.

Your GP will be able to refer you for Counselling but if you decide to self refer then it***8217;s essential that the Counsellor is a member of a professional association, such as BACP.

Here***8217;s a link that may be useful...
https://www.netmums.com/support/can-counselling-help-me

Not sure if I***8217;ve been of any help, but I do hope that things begin to improve for you soon Northern Natterer.

Take care
Old 24th September 2017, 21:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synagence
It can be exhausting .... i'm the same... overthinking, dwelling, worried about how people perceive me and therefore holding back...

Slowly learning to be a little selfish in that regard and trying to unload.... but its difficult...

I personally didn't get on with councelling as it just seemed to meander... i'm about to start guided CBT based therapy next week so hoping to focus on these aspects....

I'll let you know how it goes...
Thanks Synagence. Yes let us know how you get on with CBT hope it all goes well for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggins
Sorry to hear that you’ve been finding things tough Northern Natterer. I hope that you feel a little better today
For what it’s worth, I don’t think you have ranted at all, but even if you had no need to apologise as you are among people who understand the frustrations of struggling with social anxiety.

It’s a pity that your well being courses have come to an end. Were they group based? Did you find them helpful? Six sessions doesn’t sound very long to me but I guess if it is an NHS service the requirement for places is never ending.

Although I haven’t had counselling myself I know of someone who did and it helped them immensely - I think that was down to the fact that they had developed a strong relationship with the Counsellor and, as they had gone privately, they were able to have as many sessions as they needed.

I would suggest to give Counselling a go purely because what have you got to lose - apart from the overwhelming anxiety of course!
Although Counselling is not for everyone, equally A LOT of people have found it to be invaluable, especially if they feel unable to talk about certain issues to family/friends. If the Counsellor is empathetic then you’ll naturally feel more comfortable to talk about your problems. And if you don’t click with the first Counsellor you see then it’s always worth trying a different one who you may feel more at ease with.

Your GP will be able to refer you for Counselling but if you decide to self refer then it’s essential that the Counsellor is a member of a professional association, such as BACP.

Here’s a link that may be useful...
https://www.netmums.com/support/can-counselling-help-me

Not sure if I’ve been of any help, but I do hope that things begin to improve for you soon Northern Natterer.

Take care
Thank you so much Muggins. Your reply is very helpful and I really appreciate it

The Wellbeing sessions were 1 to 1 via the NHS and it felt like we were maybe just starting to scratch the surface. I was given a lot of work booklets and a CD which gives me a toolkit I guess to try and keep working on stuff in the meantime.

I will definately give the Counselling some thought. Had a better Friday and weekend.
Old 24th September 2017, 21:43

Mood
Mellow

I think it was quite brave of an SAer to go to any kind of course, NN. Thats quite a big step. I had a private counselor this year. I am a lot better because of it. That woman now knows more about the real me than any person on this planet and she never judged me, ever. She was always on my side. My head is alot straighter these days. Give it a go.
Old 2nd October 2017, 06:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits
Hope you're okay, Natters

It's scary when the person you're seeing for support releases you back into the wild to fend for yourself. It might be worth giving the counselling a go
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laracroft1
I think it was quite brave of an SAer to go to any kind of course, NN. Thats quite a big step. I had a private counselor this year. I am a lot better because of it. That woman now knows more about the real me than any person on this planet and she never judged me, ever. She was always on my side. My head is alot straighter these days. Give it a go.
Thanks Biscuits appreciate the support.

Thanks Laracroft good to hear that things helped you.