SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Room with a View
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 1st July 2017, 20:37

Default Walking

Does anyone else feel so much better mentally after going for a walk.

I went for a walk tonight and forgot how good it feels it feels to arrive back after being out walking for an hour,

I would really like to meet some other people in my town who enjoy walking as sometimes it can be lonely.
Old 1st July 2017, 20:40

Default Re: Walking

Where do you live?
Old 1st July 2017, 21:44

Mood
Sad

Yeah I enjoy walking. When I have enough energy I like to go for a walk in the park in my area. If the weather isn't very nice, I go to the gym and power walk on the treadmill.
Old 1st July 2017, 21:50
Banned at own request

I do when I am away from home but in my area I just never really feel properly relaxed given the number of people I could bump into.

When abroad though or up north I find it really clears the head (particularly of worry or anxieties) and afterwards lifts my mood, often giving me more motivation for change for days afterwards. I really like that healthy achy feeling you get when you know your body is rebuilding itself that bit stronger.
Old 1st July 2017, 23:45

Mood
Relaxed

I love walking. Can't wait to move somewhere with open space and nice views.
Old 2nd July 2017, 08:42

Mood
Balanced

@ well done silenus

Yes I love walking..need to get back into it
Old 2nd July 2017, 13:15

Yes I have been a member of the ramblers. The group here meets during the week and on a Sunday. The weekday ones I cant do due to work but Sundays are a possibility.

I had a lovely walk again today. I love the way that, you can just be walking along and then see a lovely fork in the road, I walked off and down a country lane. It was enchanting,

I'm going to try and post the pictures.... can you add pictures to the posts? Ive never done that...
Old 2nd July 2017, 13:40

Mood
Pensive

I always feel better after a walk, especially when I meet dogs along the way.
I don't like walking when I'm at home but love it when I'm at my daughter's or visiting a friend.
Old 2nd July 2017, 21:27

Mood
Insomnious

I walk the dog, which has helped a lot. I barely left the house before but now I take the dog out everyday, and leaving the safety of my fortress doesn't seem like such a big deal. There are some woods just across the road which I hadn't visited in the 10+ years I've lived here. Quite nice up there although some dickheads dump their litter there sometimes. The other week there was a Sainsbury's shopping cart abandoned there. Sainsbury's is about a mile and a half away down a busy road, and then up a muddy path to the woods. Someone went to a lot of effort to get a shopping trolley up there. You have to wonder why anyone would make such an effort to push a trolley so far and then leave it in the woods. There's not much to do round here I guess but still, I can think of numerous things I'd rather do than walk down to Sainsbury's, take a shopping trolley, spend at least half an hour pushing it to the woods, and then leave it there, making anyone who see's it feel depressed by the sad juxtaposition of an emblem of our comsumer culture in a place of natural beauty. Did they stop to think of that when they just left this poor, lonely shopping trolley alone in the woods like a used condom? Probably not. And that's why I think we should bring back National Service. Kids today, leaving shopping trolleys in the woods when they could be doing something useful, like killing people. God! What was the question?
Old 3rd July 2017, 02:25

It's sounds like you're all enjoying your walking. Having a dog must help, makes you feel less awkward/alone.
Old 3rd July 2017, 02:57

I love walking but I don't like walking around my neighbourhood as it's very built up plus there's always the possibility of bumping into a neighbour or one or two horrid mums that I used to see on the school run. The other day I did venture out locally but found the sight of an abandoned burnt out vehicle and a used condom tossed across the pavement more than a little depressing
But, if I can get in the car and drive out into the countryside then I absolutely love walking through peaceful woodlands and meadows. I'm too nervous to walk in the middle of nowhere on my own though, so my hubby and/or son who fortunately also enjoy walking come with me.

I think joining a ramblers group would be great although there's the little problem of having to make polite conversation, no mean feat if you suffer with SA
Old 4th July 2017, 20:59

Mood
Lonely

I've always liked walking, mostly on my own in remote northern parts where you can walk all day without bumping into too many people. Usually feel much better both physically and mentally after a walk too, which reminds me it's been a while.
Old 5th July 2017, 16:42

Mood
Fine

Walking is probably my fav pastime.

I walk around 60/80 miles every week and have done so for many years now. Most weeks that's just walking around the city and suburbs where I live of course.

In Spring/Sumer I like to get out into the countryside hills & mountains, and that certainly perks up my mood. Pity I cant do it more often really...

Was walking over on the Isle of Skye last week and despite the rotten & cold weather I had a good time. Managed to bag a Cuillin Munro, and do a few long walks along the hills and Sea Cliffs of The Trotternish. Still manage to do around 70/80 miles in the 4 days despite the poor conditions, which was quite decent.

Hoping to hike up Ben Lawers & An Stuic (near Loch Tay) this weekend with another Sa Uk member if the weather remains ok

Really think that walking is the best form of exercise we can do. After all its what our bodies were designed for doing.
Old 5th July 2017, 16:49

Mood
Balanced

^ wow Isle of Skye...would love to visit there..need to dig out some dates so I can join you on a walk or two.

Last edited by Silent Treatment; 5th July 2017 at 16:51. Reason: error
Old 5th July 2017, 17:07

I walked along this wall earlier today
Old 5th July 2017, 17:40

Mood
Balanced

^ where is that?
Old 5th July 2017, 19:02

Mood
Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Treatment
^ wow Isle of Skye...would love to visit there..need to dig out some dates so I can join you on a walk or two.
Yes, its an amazing part of the country to visit. The scenery and geography are outstanding and so varied. Saw my first eagle (probably a Sea Eagle) and "possibly" 2 otters too , Brilliant place for walking as well. Some of the hills and mountains are a bit on the scary side , mind!!!!!

Let me know if youre intending coming up to Aberdeen. Ill be away from town between 11th - 25th August but apart from that should be free most days.
Old 10th August 2017, 22:31
Banned at own request

Yes. I always feel better after a walk, or being outdoors in any way. I've recently started British Military Fitness and, even though it's a massive challenge both physically and socially, I always feel good being outside. There is always a calm afterwards.
Old 18th April 2018, 11:09

Walking is a great way of both focussing on a problem and forgetting about a problem (though not at the same time, obviously). I'm fortunate to live in a remote area surrounded by hills, buzzards, eagles, deer... so getting out walking in amongst it all - to be part of it - is very therapeutic for me.
Walking can almost be like a meditation, allowing you to focus on your breath (in - out - in - out) or your feet (left - right - left - right). Free calmness and exercise, with stonking scenery thrown in. Great stuff.
Old 6th June 2018, 17:25

Mood
Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by A lump of Excrement
It sounds like everyone in this thread appreciates how a simple walk can improve your life. I've been walking much more recently. I've enjoyed it so much I've been on 3+ hour walks recently. Lots of countryside near me so I can go into the hills with the beautiful scenery and escape for hours. It's wonderful for the mind, body and spirit. And it's so nice to come back exhausted from this gentle exercise rather than being exhausted from stress and anxiety.
Yes, I find it does help a lot with any stress/anxiety like you say. The last few weeks have been excellent for walks too, virtually no rain and bright and sunny

Actually hoping to hike up a wee hill near Balmoral Castle tomorrow called "The Coyles Of Muick". Should be around 13-15 miles return from the start point at Ballater, and the views should be good from the 2000feet apprx summit. Only down side is a near 2 hour trip (each way) on a service bus (which sometimes has no toilet!!) to get to the start point.

I must remember to take those Travel sickness Pills beforehand too!!