SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 14th April 2014, 13:48

Default I don't like being outside

this
Old 14th April 2014, 14:15

Mood
Daring

Default Re: I don't like being outside

Hi Waine,

I used to dislike being outside too, being obese in my younger days I was always scared of what people thought of me, I had the most horrible form of spotlight effect, everyone was watching me, constantly, so I thought.

Now the summer is coming, and i've lost my weight and got some self-confidence, I still get that little nagging feeling in me, like "maybe I should stay in", I think it is all baby steps though, taking my dog for a walk, going to the shops, popping by somewhere to see a friend.

When I spend full days out, I can't wait to get home, and then when I do, I think why did I rush home for this? I am a homing pigeon, but there are things to enjoy out there.

I'm sorry if this was irrelevant.
Old 14th April 2014, 14:59

Mood
Lonely

I don't like being outside when there are people (which means I very rarely go out). If I knew I wouldn't see anybody, I would be outside all the time whatever time of year it was.

This is one thing I miss since my SA became very bad in my late teens is going out walking whatever the weather. I used to do that all the time when I was young and always enjoyed it.

@waine
What are the reasons why you don't like going out?
Old 14th April 2014, 15:10

i just don't think there is anything out there
it's too busy
enjoyment is locked away in bedroom on iPod or in a book
Old 14th April 2014, 15:18

and I suppose the fact I don't suit talking and have nothing to say lol
Old 14th April 2014, 15:31

Mood
Lonely

Everyone has something to say. Its just very difficult saying it. The amount of times when I used to go out and wanted to add something to a conversation it was my nerves that stopped me (sometimes I was to scared to talk other times my mind went blank through fear) but there was always something i could have added to the conversation.

I have to agree with you on its too busy. When I went out large numbers of people would freak me out but strangely the thing I hated even more was when it was quiet but there was a group of people further down the road and no one else. The walk up to them would be a nightmare. My legs would shake, I would trip up over things that were not there and my face would go red. At least if there were more people about they wouldn't have noticed me.
Old 14th April 2014, 15:34

I like going outside but only because I know I won't have to have a long conversation with anyone; when I go to the shops it's only a few words I'm required to say and that's easy. You get used to it after a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownButNotOut
When I went out large numbers of people would freak me out but strangely the thing I hated even more was when it was quiet but there was a group of people further down the road and no one else. The walk up to them would be a nightmare. My legs would shake, I would trip up over things that were not there and my face would go red. At least if there were more people about they wouldn't have noticed me.
That happened to me once when I was about a minute walk from my home. I didn't want to talk to them so I took another route which took about half an hour to get home.
Old 14th April 2014, 18:03

Mood
Lonely

Been there, done that.

Afterwards I told myself I was never going to do that again. Find myself in exactly the same situation again, guess what I did.

Bloody SA
Old 14th April 2014, 18:33

Mood
Balanced

I only go out when I absolutely have to, I go out to work, out to the supermarket twice a week and a trip into town once or twice a month, and that is about it for me, I am resisting doing shopping and banking online because if I did it all online I wouldn't leave the house other than to go to work.
I don't have agraphobia, I just don't see the need to go out for going out's sake.
Old 14th April 2014, 19:10

Mood
Alienated

I love the outdoors, and regularly go exploring places. However, I still feel very uncomfortable when outdoors.

When I'm indoors, I wonder what on earth I'm worried about, but its easy to think that while in the safety of my own room.
Old 15th April 2014, 18:55

( this... )
Old 16th April 2014, 20:55

Some days I get into the mood that the outside is this other realm, and I simply cant imagine being in that realm; the realm of 'others' of life, the sharpness of it all, too much reality? That it would hurt me somehow to be out 'in it'.

More to do with my feelings of sensitivity and vulnerablity, that anything out there could so easily upset me; if someone looked at me the wrong way, or a car beeped me, or I saw someone I knew and they said something that triggered or upset me.

In that mood I kind of tell myself that the outside doesnt exist.
Old 16th April 2014, 23:15

Me neither.

Always feel so vulnerable once I leave the house.