SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 16th May 2017, 22:50

Mood
Pensive

Default Have you ever seen a rat?

I have seen a rat in my yard I'm terrified it was really big brown rat. It seemed to be stuck and couldn't get out my yard. Behind me is an alley way and the house opposite is covered in ivy maybe its came from that. A lot of people leave their bins overflowing and dump rubbish in the alleyway. I'm scared to sleep now I think its in the house.

I rang the council but i would have to pay for a visit. They can only come next Monday I am too scared to put my bin out or step outside now.

I'm not sure what to do now.
Old 16th May 2017, 23:09
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

Default Re: Have you ever seen a rat?

Yeah I've seen a few rats. We used to have one living in our barn years ago. I've never seen one whilst living in a more built up area though they must be about I guess. Ours used to come out the barn attached to the house and eat the bird food my mum had put out in our front yard area. My dad poisoned it (I think) in case it started breeding and because we were worried it might attack our cats if provoked (one of the cats at least would have been stupid enough to have a go). I quite enjoyed watching it from the safety of the kitchen window as it was HUGE. But I would have been scared to meet it outside. When it heard movement tho it would run.

I wouldn't worry too much it will probably mind it's own business if left alone, or run away if disturbed. You could buy a rat trap I suppose,until the council man comes, though I don't know much about them.
Old 16th May 2017, 23:20

Its surprisingly how rarely I've seen them and never around where i live.
Its actually quite alarming how big they are or can get even when your used to mice and other rodents, and i like them.
I do have a mouse, or two, or three in the loft and I'm delighted about it, that being said I'm a bit nervous about poking my head up their and startling it and it then startling me, which i think is where you're at, so can totally understand. Outside isn't a confined space so it could be way out of its usual area and it'll be way more afraid of you than it.
You're on the right track otherwise re the council, if this persists maybe revisit it but if there's a charge may be worth waiting to see if it repeats.
Old 16th May 2017, 23:20

Mood
Cynical

Yes, where I used to live. You could try making sure your bins aren't near your house and obviously don't leave rubbish lying about. It's not likely to try to come into your house though, don't worry!
Old 16th May 2017, 23:41

Mood
Shoveit

Yep. Seen em probably eaten a few unknowingly lol tasty little devils
Old 17th May 2017, 06:50

Yes I can currently see two in my living room
Old 17th May 2017, 06:52

Mood
Balanced

on the tracks on the London Underground you get some
Old 17th May 2017, 08:28

Mood
Pensive

We had rats in our family house when younger it was in my bedroom I could hear it scurrying about the boiler. The rat man put poison mum wouldnt go to sleep without shoes on for a year and I shared a top bed bunk with my sister for about 6 months. The rat died in my bedroom and I hoovered all the maggots up it was gross.
I haven't seen one in real life walking about though so this was different. it was the size of a small cat and on my window sill in midday. It tried to get out the gate but too big to fit under so got into the shed instead. I text my landlord and told him theres rats in the shed which is full of junk from previous tennant. Ue hasn't got back to me yet.
I don't know if I should put poison down as this could encourage them to come feed hete and I dont want that if its a one of visiting rat.
Old 17th May 2017, 09:12
Membrane

I've seen several on a few occasions, one bit me, the little ******... although I was poking it with a stick earlier.
Old 17th May 2017, 18:01

^ Fingers are food
Old 17th May 2017, 18:27

Mood
Fine

Nope, the cats around here kill anything that moves
Old 17th May 2017, 18:45
Membrane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger_Lily
^ Fingers are food
Thems be fish fingers you is thunking of, innit.

.. or chocolate fingers...

hmm chocolate fingers.
Old 17th May 2017, 20:12

So much rat killing in this thread

^^ Keep your fish fingers away from the rats then
Old 17th May 2017, 21:40

Mood
Alienated

I've seen plenty, especially when I was living in university accommodation. I also see quite a few along the nearby river.

We did have some living in our attic when I was a child. It was quite stressful as they kept us awake with their constant scratching and all sorts. My parents eventually got the council round who put poison down. They died, which resulted in maggots in the attic, and falling through the ceiling. They eventually turned into the biggest flies i've ever seen. It was quite traumatic!

I quite like rats, and wish they could have been caught rather than poisoned to death.

One of my neighbours had one as a pet, and it was so sweet. I think rats have an unfair reputation! Its usually human mess which causes them to be a pest.
Old 17th May 2017, 23:21

Yes. They are more scared of you. Just keep the doors and windows shut. Get some rat poison for the inside?
Old 17th May 2017, 23:54

Mood
Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte Vale 1942
In my kitchen...I dunno what I'm gonna do.
I'm gonna fix that rat, that's what I'm gonna do, I'm gonna fix that rat...
Old 18th May 2017, 00:16

One time I had mice in my flat, and I left some traps for them. I felt so guilty about it I got a couple of pet rats soon after. Probably would've made more sense to get some pet mice, but rats are great, if stinky.

I expect your typical feral rat just wants to be left alone to find its dinner, and wouldn't even come near you if it could avoid it.
Old 18th May 2017, 00:21

Mood
Fine

^^ I'm gonna hit it with a frying pan *song ends abruptly*

Seriously though it's very unlikely it's actually in your house, and rats are experts at hiding from humans, it wont hurt you
Old 18th May 2017, 08:24

Mood
Balanced

I have seen wild rats and they will not harm you unless it feels threatened by you, and I have kept domestic rats as pets, and I can assure you could not get a better small pet than pair of rats, they are entertaining, intelligent and clean.