SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Welcome & Introductions Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 4th December 2017, 01:00

Mood
Sad

Post Finally taking steps

Hi all, I'm new to this so please reply and any help/advice appreciated.

Not sure where to start so I think I'll just unload:

I am a 45 year old man who has been struggling with 'something' since my late teens. I have been using antidepressants for 20 ish years but nothing seems to be improving and for the last year or so things have got much worse.

I had always thought I was just depressed and that this was just the way I was or had been wired. I didn't realise that there was a social anxiety problem that affected so many people.

I have always preferred to be one to one or in small groups and have never like gatherings and find it difficult to have any friends - this is, I think from a fear of rejection. I also hate having any attention put onto me.

Things have come to a head recently as it has been affecting me at work, because my social skills aren't great and my anxiety is high I can come across as a bit weird or different which I accept. Recently thought this has made me become the butt of jokes whenever I am in the office (I work shift work, so nights and weekends are ok as only with one other guy) and this has increased my anxiety.

I should also mention that I am particularly paranoid/over sensitive to criticism. I have read that the anxiety and paranoia can be closely linked?

I'm at the point now where it is really affecting my basic functioning and I have this fear constantly and tenseness within me.

Hopefully that will do for a start, any other info required please let me know.

I feel better for just posting this.

Cheers
Old 4th December 2017, 08:11
Banned at own request

Default Re: Finally taking steps

Hi Welcome to the forum

Have you looked into something like CBT? Your GP could refer you or there are self help books available, it’s helpful to some people.
Old 5th December 2017, 20:37
Banned at own request

Welcome barnstormzy
Old 6th December 2017, 22:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Change87
Hello,
I withdrew from the world after graduating at 22 and set up as a freelancer working from home. Something I would not recommend to someone who would have a predisposition to suffer social anxiety, as it can escalate problems.
This is now dawning on me. Or maybe I knew it many moons ago, I was just in denial.