Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 26th January 2014, 11:56

Mood
Alienated

Default I Didn't See That Comming

OR GOING AS THE CASE MAY BE
Just thought i'd start a thread for us older ones to show & discuse the changes we have seen. Technology advances, products which have gone from our shelves, companies that no longer exist, landmarks that have gone or changed (my old school for one, Westfield Comp is no more and boy does that make me feel old). Anything really that has come or gone or even both, things that in your youth you thought would never happen.

I'm starting with a very simple product that is now long gone, the old camera flash bulb, the kind that you could use only once then had to change it if you needed to take another picture, well unless you had the "cube" in which case you got four pictures

[IMG][/IMG]

Now your camera is part of your phone, you dont need a film and the flash is everlasting
Old 26th January 2014, 19:48

Mood
Bored

Default Re: I Did'nt See That Comming

In my phone there is a tiny memory card, the size of my little fingernail, that holds 32 gb of data. That is such a huge amount and it amazes me. I can only imagine that it is reverse engineered from captured alien technology.
Old 26th January 2014, 21:55

Mood
Curious

Well I remember when I was in my twenties having a discussion about this super information highway called the internet and saying that I didn't like the sound of it lol - could not live without it now. I cannot believe that Woolworths has closed down.

The biggest change is from vinyl to downloading music. I can remember every Saturday walking up a steep hill into town to get my vinyl and saw other people walking back down the hill like me, carrying a large square thing in a bag, and I knew that we all could not wait to get home, and take our record out of the cover and put it on the record player and then just sit back and listen, and read the cover and look at the artwork at the same time. I never believed that I could do all that in a few minutes now and not even leave my seat. Not sure that is a good thing at all. I can never appreciate music like I did when it was on vinyl, it felt like more of an event. Hard to believe that I made the same journey for a single? Who would do that now? Shame in a way.
Old 27th January 2014, 01:37

Great idea for a thread Mossieman

PussyRiot, you've brought back some happy memories there

I used to love saving my pennies up so I could go to Woolworths to buy a much longed for single or album. As you say, there was such a sense of occasion when you returned home, pulled the glossy vinyl out of its cover and placed it onto the turntable. I had a little red plastic record player and I'd spend a whole afternoon listening to the likes of Paul McCartney singing Mull of Kintyre and the Brotherhood of Man, cringe. I was only about 10 at the time so maybe I can be forgiven. Sometimes I'd change the speed dial so I could listen to the songs being sung by Pinky and Perky. Probably an improvement

I don't really think all this new fangled technology available today is always such a good thing. My 11 year old and his mates have every gadget there is at their disposal (computers, laptops, iPads, iPods, iPhones, x boxes, play stations......) and they're always complaining that they're bored.

It wasn't like that in my day...
Old 27th January 2014, 01:49

Mood
Curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggins
Great idea for a thread Mossieman

PussyRiot, you've brought back some happy memories there

I used to love saving my pennies up so I could go to Woolworths to buy a much longed for single or album. As you say, there was such a sense of occasion when you returned home, pulled the glossy vinyl out of its cover and placed it onto the turntable. I had a little red plastic record player and I'd spend a whole afternoon listening to the likes of Paul McCartney singing Mull of Kintyre and the Brotherhood of Man, cringe. I was only about 10 at the time so maybe I can be forgiven. Sometimes I'd change the speed dial so I could listen to the songs being sung by Pinky and Perky. Probably an improvement

I don't really think all this new fangled technology available today is always such a good thing. My 11 year old and his mates have every gadget there is at their disposal (computers, laptops, iPads, iPods, iPhones, x boxes, play stations......) and they're always complaining that they're bored.

It wasn't like that in my day...
total RESPECT Muggins! I had a plastic red record player too and I also did the pinky and perky thing, the fact that you even know who pinky and perky were? TOTAL RESPCT!
Old 27th January 2014, 01:55

Mood
Alienated

Quote:
Originally Posted by PussyRiot
I cannot believe that Woolworths has closed down.

The biggest change is from vinyl to downloading music. I can remember every Saturday walking up a steep hill into town to get my vinyl and saw other people walking back down the hill like me, carrying a large square thing in a bag, and I knew that we all could not wait to get home, and take our record out of the cover and put it on the record player and then just sit back and listen, and read the cover and look at the artwork at the same time. I never believed that I could do all that in a few minutes now and not even leave my seat. Not sure that is a good thing at all. I can never appreciate music like I did when it was on vinyl, it felt like more of an event. Hard to believe that I made the same journey for a single? Who would do that now? Shame in a way.
I have to agree i always looked forward to going to the record shop for my new vinyl, defo a big shame.
Old 27th January 2014, 02:02

Mood
Alienated

Hey Muggins i still listen to Brotherhood of Man. Save all your kisses is a bit cringe but oh boy (the mood i'm in), angelo & figaro are as good as any 70's pop, mind you this comming from a man who likes baccara is prob not helping the cause
Also guilty as charged for playing records on 78rpm in pinky & perky mode , does anyone remember the childrens nursery rhymes which played on LP 33rpm speed, they were only about the size of a CD.
Old 27th January 2014, 14:13

Mood
Alienated

Yup - ditto Pinky and Perky!

Lovely thread. Record players - evoking some good memories:

- Having to clean the fluff from the needle
- Flexidiscs (remember them?)
- Walking around quietly when recording onto tape to avoid the record from jumping

I remember 7" on 33rpm too, mossieman. We had a record player to which you could stack records - once one finished, the next one would drop down on the spindle. Did anyone else have one?

The (a) sheer amount of storage available these days and (b) the unbridled access to it is amazing. Every now and then I've remembered something and it's there - on YouTube. Or, I can buy pretty much every record ever released and download it in a minute or two...
Old 27th January 2014, 15:47

Mood
Alienated

Ah jsw the "multi-stacker" i remerber it well. Stack 10 records and if you were lucky 8 of them played as every now and then two would drop together. I remember the flexi disc to i used to get them free with a music mag all in different colours.
I also remember the fun of making tapes esp taking my fav's from the top 40 on sunday and trying to get the timing right so i did'nt get the dj chatting but then they would cut in early so you would have to hurry to eject the tape and give it a couple of winds back ready for you next song in hope of cutting out the chat, ah the good ol' days.
Old 27th January 2014, 15:58

Mood
Curious

when I was 10, I won a competition at Pontins holiday camp for dancing to Brotherhood of man 'save all your kisses for me' in my hot pants lol
Old 27th January 2014, 15:59

Mood
Curious

I remember the thrill the day mum brought home an Artic Roll! Ice cream in a swiss roll! It was an exciting moment. She did cut it so thinly, almost with a ham slicer, because it was one of those dishes that 'you save for best' lolatronville!
Old 27th January 2014, 16:08

Mood
Curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus
^ Arctic Roll! Things like that seemed almost magical at the time!

bahahhahahahahahaha - such memories!
Old 27th January 2014, 16:23

laptop!

never did understand pagers

can you still buy film?

does sodastream still exist?

bad idea letting kids decide how much sugary syrup stuff to use.
Old 27th January 2014, 16:25

Mood
Curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsw
- Walking around quietly when recording onto tape to avoid the record from jumping

Yes, I certainly don't feel sad that those days are gone lol and having to rewind and ruin the tape just to get to one song! I remember having three shopping bags stacked with tapes and had to empty all bags onto the floor and scramble around just to get to the tape I needed! Don't miss that at all!
Old 27th January 2014, 17:25

Mood
Alienated

God the soda stream BFG i remember trying to flog mine at a car boot for 99p some time around 1990, did'nt sell, yes i actually saw the new add for this for the first time last night, looks a bit better now but i did not know it was still going. You can also still buy film and black n' white film has even made a comeback. I also remember how exciting the arctic roll was the first time i had it, felt like really posh food
Old 27th January 2014, 17:30

Mood
Alienated

While we are in the ice cream area anyone remeber this lollies

I used to love em all but the dalek was my fav all now long gone in fact i think we had a better range of ice lolly when i was young than we do today.
Old 27th January 2014, 18:40

Mood
Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossieman
While we are in the ice cream area anyone remeber this lollies

I used to love em all but the dalek was my fav all now long gone in fact i think we had a better range of ice lolly when i was young than we do today.
The dude in the 2nd picture reminds me of our glorious Prime Minister somehow....
Old 27th January 2014, 20:44

Mood
Curious

thank you Mossieman - I remember all those lollies! This is great fun! Nielm is right, Lord Toffingham does look a bit like D Cameron.
Old 27th January 2014, 21:03

Old 27th January 2014, 22:09

I remember when Britain actually had a firework industry, before everything went to bloody China. Remember blue touchpaper?

Standard:

Brock's:

Astra:

Benwell:

Pain's:

And not forgetting bangers, of course:

Oh, the memories.
Old 27th January 2014, 22:11

Mood
Alienated

Carmen Rollers. Can you still buy Carmen Rollers?
Old 28th January 2014, 00:47

Mood
Curious

Yes Rufus it is hard to believe that we only had 3 channels when I was a kid and i am 42. We didn't even have videos then so it was just pot luck what you watched. I remember when channel 4 started.
Old 28th January 2014, 01:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by PussyRiot
Well I remember when I was in my twenties having a discussion about this super information highway called the internet and saying that I didn't like the sound of it lol - could not live without it now. I cannot believe that Woolworths has closed down.

Yeah, i used to DJ with vinyl back in the day. Every Friday went into town to get my tunes. Used to love playing vinyl, flicking thru the record box, pulling it out of the sleeve, cueing it up on the decks...it's like that special bit of vinyl had its moment in the spotlight. I went over to CD decks for a while but it was never the same. Now a lot of DJ's use laptops, when they're DJing it looks like they're checking their Emails,lol
Old 28th January 2014, 01:43

Old 28th January 2014, 01:51

Old 28th January 2014, 01:56

Mood
Alienated

BRING BACK THE TEXAN BAR, i used to love those. Mind you both me and my sister used to love MINT CRACKNEL, the anoying thing is the company is now part of NESTLE and in australia they still make a chocolate bar that is very simular to the cracknel.

COME ON NESTLE RELEASE THIS IN THE UK
Old 28th January 2014, 02:18

Mood
Alienated

And here is a more recent pic of the test card girl, Carole Hersee

Old 28th January 2014, 02:31

^ blimey....wonder what the clown is doing now, prob working in McDonalds or went off the rails and is now in rehab.
Old 28th January 2014, 02:32

Old 28th January 2014, 02:34

Betamax