SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Welcome & Introductions Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 14th August 2009, 01:50

Smile Yo!

Hi there peeps. Thought I would tell you a little about myself. I have lived with SA since I could breathe reallyI have had times when it's been better and then worse again, but I guess I never really faced it head on or believed in myself enough to try and do anything about it. Now I have come to a point where I have realised how much I have missed out on in life. Tired of watching the world go by past my window. Don't get me wrong, I have learned some very valuable lessons on the way and it's given me some unique experiences for sure, but now it's time introduce myself to the world and start a new chapter in my life. Scary though init!! . Well, that's enough about me. I hope I get to speak to you all in the near future. Till then, Rae x
Old 14th August 2009, 01:53

Mood
Musical

Default Re: Yo!

Welcome Rae
Old 14th August 2009, 17:35

Hi Rae, welcome to the forum . I saw your post on the hypno-analysis thread and I was wondering if I could ask you some questions as you're a therapist. I notice you mentioned suggestion therapy. Is hypno-therapy a suggestion therapy? Because I did have hypno one time but my therapist didn't really 'suggest' anything to me, it was more of an exploratory experience. Although she did give me some relaxation tapes which were sort of guided meditation things. The benefits were negligible at best.

I'm wondering if hypno can be used to eliminate behavioural problems. I've read that any phobia or behavioural problem is fulfilling some psychological need, so in order to eliminate it it needs to be replaced by something more healthy. That's fair enough, but what would happen if you don't? Would another troubling behavioural pattern emerge to take it's place?

I understand what you said about the emotional release. I think that it would be nigh on impossible for me to reach that kind of a resolution in therapy though, as I'm very guarded about emotions and would never fully commit to the process so I was always struggling to remain fairly lucid and aware throughout the sessions. Maybe that invalidated the process. Do you think the process could be successful on a patient with that type of attitude?

Also, have you heard of the Human Givens approach? I was considering giving it a go as I've tried virtually every other therapy out there, but I've become quite jaded about therapy over the years because of my lack of success with it.
Old 14th August 2009, 17:38

Mood
Angelic

Hi Rae!
Old 14th August 2009, 17:43
Administrator

Mood
Tired

Welcome to the board, Rae
Old 14th August 2009, 18:48

Default Re: Hypnotherapy

I don't mind you asking, and glad if I can help in some way. Hypnotherapy is both suggestion therapy and hypnoanalysis. I'm sorry to hear that your experiences of it weren't great in the past, but I do believe that suggestion therapy doesn't become less effective if you are more guarded with your emotions, hypnoanalysis on the otherhand would involve "letting go" in one form or another. I wouldn't worry about your lucidity either, I myself am always lucid when I experience Hypnosis and that hasn't stopped my successes thus far. I understand why you have concerns about therapy and the worry that one problem may become replaced by another. I myself was bulimic for 7 years, and I worked really hard for a couple of years with a CBT therapist, she was amazing, but because I was hiding away from the real problem, only a few months after my recovery I developed Fibromyalgia and then suffered with this for a following 7 years(I am now completely recovered). Once I understood that I was developing problems that were keeping me "safe" from the scary, adult big wide world, it was then that I realised what I needed to do to move forward. I had to go out there and get the life that I wanted. I'm still at the beginning of my journey and I still struggle, but it's worth it. I have heard of Human Givens but only very briefly, am I right in thinking it's a combination of a few different therapies, e.g. Nlp, Cbt and Visualisation? I can only speak for myself when I say that the only time therapy has worked for me is when I am truly ready to deal with what's really going on and not to fight it (cuz it will just fight you back). I really hope this is useful in some way and please feel free to contact me again. wishing you well

Rae x
Old 14th August 2009, 18:49

Mood
Musical

Hey Rae

Welcome to SAUK

Hope you enjoy and find this site helpful
Old 15th August 2009, 00:09

Thanks for the answers Rae, they were really helpful.
Quote:
hypnoanalysis on the otherhand would involve "letting go" in one form or another.
Hmm, I'm not big on the letting go. Maybe it's because I'm a man but I see it as a sign of weakness and I won't even consider it. I guess hypnoanalysis was a bad choice for me.
Quote:
I was hiding away from the real problem[...]
Once I understood that I was developing problems that were keeping me "safe" from the scary, adult big wide world, it was then that I realised what I needed to do to move forward.
I don't really know what that means. Are you saying you had avoidance bahaviours and the symptoms were just an excuse of sorts? So when you stopped avoiding the problems went away?
Quote:
I can only speak for myself when I say that the only time therapy has worked for me is when I am truly ready to deal with what's really going on and not to fight it (cuz it will just fight you back).
Well when I was in therapy I was totally ready to talk about everything and anything that had happened to me. I just wasn't prepared to become emotional. Is that what's needed? Cos if so I'm a long way off from recovery it seems...
Quote:
I have heard of Human Givens but only very briefly, am I right in thinking it's a combination of a few different therapies, e.g. Nlp, Cbt and Visualisation?
Yeah I think so. I'm still learning about it myself. But they say what it has over other therapies is that it's non-voyeuristic in that you don't have to share anything you don't want to with a stranger so it eliminates that element of stress from the treatment.
Old 15th August 2009, 00:41

Hi Zim,
I'm glad you found that useful. Yeah, I meant that I was hiding behind my problems with illnesses, I certainly didn't realise that at the time and when I did question it, I would push it back down. As soon as I faced up to the fact that I had SA and started to focus on that as the real issue at hand, it was then that the other illnesses went away. I believe you need to get emotional to heal, it's your body's way of cleaning it's self, (I do understand that some men feel uncomfortable with this though). That's just my opinion of course and unfortunately I don't know everything : Sounds as if the Human Givens avenue may be an option that's worth trying. If you do decide to give it a go, let me know how you get on. x
Old 15th August 2009, 01:00

Hola!
Old 15th August 2009, 07:59

Mood
Scared

Hello Rae

Welcome to SAUK

Old 22nd August 2009, 21:52

Mood
Pensive