SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 30th March 2023, 23:08

Default Interviews are really hard

It’s like people pop out their most judgemental head just in time for interview.

It’s really demoralising.
Old 31st March 2023, 00:16

Default Re: Interviews are really hard

You're right, they're the worst. I think a lot of people without SA really don't like them, and when you add in SA it makes them very tough indeed.

That said, you do get better at them through repetition and practice. And if you have one coming up - prepare, prepare, then prepare some more!
Old 31st March 2023, 07:54

Have you got one today Ronnie? Thinking of you if so.
Old 31st March 2023, 10:14

no I had two interviews last week. One I thought went promising but yielded another failed interview.
Old 31st March 2023, 14:21

I had one this week. I don't think it went great. For the first part I was given 45 minutes to review some evidence and put together a ten minute presentation to discuss what it showed, its methodological shortcomings and recommendations for future research. I was given an example before the interview so I knew what sort of thing to expect, but there was a lot more to review than I expected and I really struggled to assess it all and pull something together coherent in the time. There were like 20-odd tables/bits of data in all. It totally panicked me, but considering how I struggled with it I don't think it came across too badly.

The rest was much easier. I knew in advance the specific behaviours they would be asking about, so could prepare examples and learn the key terms they'd likely be looking for. All interviews in my area have a part like this, so a lot of my examples were recycled from previous interviews and I had a good idea of the sorts of additional questions they ask. You never know exactly what they'll hit you with and sometimes what you prep won't quite work, but because of the information you have it's easier to ad lib.

I definitely think I'm at a bit of a disadvantage in them having social anxiety (even though I'm much better than I used to be). I've often wondered whether I should flag it when they ask about reasonable adjustments but never have.
Old 31st March 2023, 14:31

I know someone who has been going to interviews recently and started asking for the questions in advance as a reasonable adjustment based on him suspecting he's neurodivergent (he apparently has trouble formulating answers verbally when put on the spot in situations like that even when he knows he's got something to say). He said they've never refused and has been offered the questions either 30 minutes before the interview or a few days and that it's been really helpful to see them. Might be worth trying if anyone has difficulty with it, but I think places like higher education and healthcare (where he's been interviewing) will be far more educated about it and understanding than smaller private companies who might see it as "cheating" rather than just making it fair for those who find it more difficult than others.
Old 31st March 2023, 14:47

I hate interviews they're stupid. Before my current job I used to just do agency work as generally you just turn up and do the job.

Not sure I even passed the interview in my current job think they hired someone else then realised they were shite so contacted me 2 weeks after the other person had been hired and fired.
Old 31st March 2023, 20:01

Mood
Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFG_
I hate interviews they're stupid.
Agreed

I've had to put up with so many arseholes who somehow managed to "succeed " at the interview stage but also managed to succeed at being complete arsehats afterwards, and clearly didn't have a bloody clue how to do their jobs,

I don't put much faith or stock in interviews, sadly.
When you see what useless creatures manage to crawl out the other side,.. you lose faith in the validity of the process.

Either that, or the people in the company I work for haven't got a clue how to screen people or what qualities to look for.
Old 19th April 2023, 10:16

13 prayers for a job interview. I'm sorted:
https://thegracefulchapter.com/praye...job-interview/