SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 8th August 2020, 17:52

Default How would you rank the martial arts for self-defence?

I mean from most to least effective. I'm thinking of taking up a martial art, but not sure which to choose. I've dabbled a bit in the past but never really stuck to one. I'm also wondering if 44 is too old to start.
Old 8th August 2020, 19:02

Default Re: How would you rank the martial arts for self-defence?

I know nothing about martial arts, but I do know that 44 is not too late to start anything. I've been doing lots of new stuff since I was 53.

Sent from my SM-A105F using Tapatalk
Old 8th August 2020, 23:43

Mood
Confused

I have done judo on and off for 30 years. I would say that judo is very good for self defence. I think there are even judo for self defence classes.
Old 8th August 2020, 23:50

What judo if i had you in a headlock?
Old 9th August 2020, 01:28

I had a brief period of time in the martial arts world. I was about 11 and I achieved a yellow belt. Although it's not something that I boast about. Even to this day, I can still kind of remember the moves that was required to achieve that yellow belt. So I think it was turn left, then right punch, then left punch. Then turn right, and left punch, then right punch. Then face forward, and left punch, then right punch. Then bow. But unfortunately I didn't end up achieving a black belt. What with my older brothers not wanting to continue with martial arts. Which is a shame, as I think that could have been very helpful to me back then. What with gaining confidence and helping to defend myself. Especially as that particular year was a rough one for me. Although looking back, I do remember kind of bowing after being kicked in the balls. So at least I was still able to implement some of those martial arts skills back then.

As for your age, I can't see that being a problem. I myself am getting closer to the 40's age bracket. You could even argue that we are both still kind of in our prime. Lions in the world even. Maybe not having a full head of mane like we used to. A bit gnarly around the edges as well (no offence of course) But we are still Lions nonetheless. So I say ROAR your way to that Dojo. Even cock your leg up once in a while if it helps you.
Old 10th August 2020, 18:36

If we are talking pure self-defence, then I would divide them up like this:

Highly Effective: MMA, boxing, kickboxing, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Muay Thai (Thai kickboxing), Krav Maga, and American wrestling.

Moderately Effective: Karate, Judo, Taekwondo

Not Very Effective: Kung Fu, Wing Chun, Aikido

As for your age, it depends which martial art you choose. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (so I hear) is very effective. It also seems to be practised at all ages. I know Guy Ritchie got his black belt in his late 40s. He may even have been 50. Many people take up martial arts in their 40s and 50s. Hugh Laurie took up boxing when he was 46 and kept at it into his 50s.

I guess it depends how fit and supple you are. If you go at your own pace, you can do any of them. Realistically, though, at 44 something like judo, kickboxing or Muay Thai might be a little too much. Some martial arts are better suited to the over 35s. Judo, for example, involves a lot of throwing, which in turn means the risk of injuries, whereas you could do boxing, karate, aikido or kung fu into your 70s. Personally, I'd recommend boxing and Jiu Jitsu. If someone attacks you, you need to be able to both strike and grapple. Those two can be practised at any age, and combined they'll turn you into a highly effective fighter, able to defend him (or her) self in most situations.
Old 14th August 2020, 18:22

^^Why do you rank the eastern martial arts so low? Just curious.
Old 15th August 2020, 18:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moksha
Highly Effective: MMA, boxing, kickboxing, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Muay Thai (Thai kickboxing), Krav Maga, and American wrestling.

Moderately Effective: Karate, Judo, Taekwondo

Not Very Effective: Kung Fu, Wing Chun, Aikido
This is the correct answer. Spot on.