SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 17th March 2008, 13:17

Default Paying train

Um I been overcoming my transport fears including switching and stuff. This is about trains.

I was wondering if its true you can just pay on the train itself if the conductor catches you out. If its within the rules. I believe you used to be able to pay once on the train if they found you without a ticket. At a slightly higher cost. If they didnt find you without a ticket though you got it free basically.

I dont want to be a criminal and I am happy to keep paying but if I can get it free without any risk then I would rather do that. I would rather only pay at a slightly higher cost when im caught without a ticket than having to pay each and every time.

I was also thinking maybe I could buy a week pass thing or something. I dont know.. Because im using it every weekday now to practice certain techniques and its rather expensive =/

I rather just hop onto the train and take my chances of paying more but I dont want to be a criminal. I wanna know if thats allowed or not. How much more does it cost..

(I have used done this for a week now and they never asked me to show my bloody ticket. I even had a freakin conversation with the conductor and she never asked for my ticket. -_-)
Old 17th March 2008, 13:43

Default Re: Paying train

from my experience you can pay on the train, it will be the same as buying it at the station, except you cant use a railcard if ur buying on the train. You also cant buy anything other than a standard ticket- no discounts you might get when buying it in advance are allowed.
Old 17th March 2008, 13:58

Mood
Inspired

I think it varies . It used to be that you must find the guard/conductor and pay on the train .If they found you they were within their rights to fine you but they often would just let you pay.It probably depends on whether their bosses have told them to apply the rules strictly or not. I think you shud work on your phobia of ticket offices .but meanwhile you cud buy a pass ; evn a yearly one. On some stations you can buy from a machine also I'm fairly sure you can get tickets at a travel agent and probably on line these days.
Old 17th March 2008, 17:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardy
I think it varies . It used to be that you must find the guard/conductor and pay on the train .If they found you they were within their rights to fine you but they often would just let you pay.It probably depends on whether their bosses have told them to apply the rules strictly or not. I think you shud work on your phobia of ticket offices .but meanwhile you cud buy a pass ; evn a yearly one. On some stations you can buy from a machine also I'm fairly sure you can get tickets at a travel agent and probably on line these days.
I dont particually have a fear of using the ticket office I just dont like paying. I pay online for convenience. The fear is switching and getting lost but I need to start with something far easier. Like you would with excercising.

I just got back from my 5th day doing this and still I havnt been asked to show my tickets. Like I said before I even had a conversation with the woman who checks the tickets and she never asked me lol? Seems like a waste of cash tbh because im only going from A to B.. Then B to A.. lol. I have to keep repeating it to establish a foundation I can fall back to if something went wrong later. I find it difficult but at the moment its not a crippling situation.

I live in northamptonshire (Not northampton station) and only travelling locally for the moment and then further in a few weeks. I have gone to london before and I was checked but it seems locally they dont really care. There are no barriers you just walk into the station and get onto a train. Rarely anyone even working there besides in the ticket office. Just a small little station from my town thats most convenient to walk to. The other stations rarely have people working there either. Bloody train today was 5 minutes early and I nearly missed it because I didnt realise.. (Which is what all this practice is for) Then on the way back the train decided it didnt like the platform and switched to a different one a minute before it arrived for fun.

"I don't think it would help your situation knowing your not supposed to be there, you don't want that conciously or not working against your efforts"

Thats true and likely why I wouldnt but if i was allowed to then I wouldnt mind lol. I guess it comes down to 'luck' if they decide to fine you or not. Your probably meant to find them first before they find you so you can pay. Which wouldnt make it free and more expensive. Its so tempting to not pay them when all I am doing is practicing. If they found me not paying I dont know what they might fine if they decided to. I am doing this too regularly to take the risk I guess.
Closed Thread