SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 16th January 2007, 22:08

Default nervous about support groups

Anyone else love to join a local support group but are too nervous to join in for fear of meeting someone you know when your out at the meet and then everyone finding out that your at an s.a. meeting?? i really need to join one but can't push myself to do this as the thought of it terrifies me and i prefer to remain anonymous right now....i know its just paranoia.....sigh...what the hell is happening to me?
Old 16th January 2007, 22:20
Moody Mare

Default Re: nervous about support groups

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangelittlegirl
Anyone else love to join a local support group but are too nervous to join in for fear of meeting someone you know when your out at the meet and then everyone finding out that your at an s.a. meeting?? i really need to join one but can't push myself to do this as the thought of it terrifies me and i prefer to remain anonymous right now....i know its just paranoia.....sigh...what the hell is happening to me?
I know exactally how you feel, id love to go to one but there are none within a 10 mile radius of here. Then theres the fact im agoraphobic and cant get out atm.

I wouldnt actually care if there was someone I knew there because they would probably be in the same boat as you and keep their private life to themselves so to speak. Sometimes when people find out that way or we find out about them its a shock as usually its the most unlikly people we would least expect to have similar problems to ourselves.
Old 16th January 2007, 22:32

aww i can sympathise with you....when i get depressed i get agoraphobic i think as i am afraid to leave the safety of my home and can't bear to walk down the street as i feel everyone watching me from their windows/cars etc :embarass: I know i worry too much about what other people think but its just that i live in quite a small town where everyone talks about each other and i would die with embarrassment if anyone found out that i have s.a.
Old 17th January 2007, 10:10

Mood
Happy

Quote:
I know i worry too much about what other people think but its just that i live in quite a small town where everyone talks about each other and i would die with embarrassment if anyone found out that i have s.a.
I thought my family would say I was making it up if I told them I have SA, or that I'm a hypochondriac but everyone I know has been really supportive - you shouldn't be embarassed as you haven't done anything wrong & it's not your fault you have SA.
Old 17th January 2007, 16:16

i know what you mean but my sa causes me to feel too embarrassed to tell anyone,i really need to pluck up the courage to do this.
Old 17th January 2007, 20:18

I can heartily reccomend support groups. Some folks get to the doors but dont go in, but even that's a step in the right direction.
Everybody I have met has given me something, be it acceptance , a different viewpoint, insight etc..
Social practicing is ace, as it says I can try (or not) and imperfect is fine!
The range of people you meet is amazing, calm looking, nervous, tough guys.........everything. I'm paranoid of meeting someone I know too but this has eased, what are they gonna be there for anyway.

Even sa folk are social animals I think.
Ive been for my first meal out for 10 years

Thanks sa,ers working my way to NOMAL folk
Old 17th January 2007, 20:40

thats true bulletproof! i know your right and well done in going for your first meal...thats great! I think i would worry more about the other sa people being louder than me and more intimidating or me having a panick attack
Old 17th January 2007, 21:03

I understand how you feel, i honestly havnt really looked at groups near me but even if there are some its highly unlikely i would go, would just be too scared of meeting the people there
Old 18th January 2007, 12:17

Mood
Sad

Quote:
thats true bulletproof! i know your right and well done in going for your first meal...thats great! I think i would worry more about the other sa people being louder than me and more intimidating or me having a panick attack
Yep, i feel like this too. I would really love to go to a support group, but i'm afraid i'd just get there and sit there saying hardly anything, with everybody else being more talkative, just like normally!

I also haven't told anybody about my SA, so if i suddenly started going out to support groups and meet ups, i would probably have people like my family being really nosey trying to find out what i'm up to.
Old 19th January 2007, 06:56

i think that is quite deep an sa group having sa about attending an sa group....but start here m8.....they are genuine and its a start.....they have meets i believe....(dont you)?.....so try breaking the ice here first....its difficult to say well im either accepted or f off....but i figure you knew that....so try a few of these people....you can go private.....talking i mean......good luck....ignore the ignorant ....theres some "good" people here.x
Closed Thread