Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 21st February 2014, 07:31

Mood
Pensive

Default Attending meets

Hi,

Just wondering if any of the over 30/40's etc attend meets, I feel that I'm starting to become more aware of my age attending meets now... how do others feel, do you go to meets?

mike
Old 21st February 2014, 08:49

Default Re: Attending meets

It doesnt bother me although i do notice i am typically older than everyone else.

When i used to work and we used to go out on Friday nights. One of our team was aged 60+.
And when the pubs closed we would go to a night club but sometimes they wouldn't let him in, although we (being in our 20s) were allowed in..
bouncers would say it was univesity students only and ask him what university he went to, he would retort the 'university of life'.
So we would end up in a strip club where he was more than welcome.

But we dont go to clubs at SA meetups, we typically end up at a restaurant or pub so age is never a problem.
Old 21st February 2014, 20:11

Mood
Pensive

I do feel ok when I'm talking to younger people than me at meets, but sometimes I do wonder what they are thinking.

I didn't know people were stopped from going into clubs because they were too old! at least there was a happy ending "So we would end up in a strip club"
Old 21st February 2014, 20:15

Mood
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike
I do feel ok when I'm talking to younger people than me at meets, but sometimes I do wonder what they are thinking.

I didn't know people were stopped from going into clubs because they were too old! at least there was a happy ending "So we would end up in a strip club"
I thought you were a good bloke.

Hope to see you again some time.
Old 21st February 2014, 20:52

Mood
Pensive

"I thought you were a good bloke", thanks
Old 21st February 2014, 22:35

Mood
Balanced

I have never attended a meet, and I don't plan to. even though there are a few activities here in Guildford.
Old 22nd February 2014, 13:02

Mood
Sneaky

Quote:
Hi,

Just wondering if any of the over 30/40's etc attend meets, I feel that I'm starting to become more aware of my age attending meets now... how do others feel, do you go to meets?

mike
been in my thirties for a while now :L

ive had good blethers with people a bit older than me and also a bit younger. all that seems to matter is outlook. i actually think its really cool to talk to people who are in different phases of life. i dont see why you should hang around only with people your own age.

a lot of my best friends are quite a bit younger than me, noone seems to care. the young-uns at work also treat me as one of them and tbh they seem to find it more odd when i DONT go out with them, than when i DO.

we can sabotage ourselves by creating an identity for ourselves based on our age or whatever. people hang out together for all sorts of reasons. just do what makes you happy
Old 22nd February 2014, 13:17

At the last meet I attended I think I was the youngest person there at 30. Everyone else was in their 30s and 40s I think and one chap was in his 50s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Hodge
we can sabotage ourselves by creating an identity for ourselves based on our age or whatever. people hang out together for all sorts of reasons. just do what makes you happy
I really like that! Had a good old giggle with a woman in her 70s last week, I think it's quite interesting to discover new things and perspectives from people of different ages too. Although feeling uncomfy around people of a very different age is totally understandable.
Old 22nd February 2014, 14:19

The average age at London meets probably is around 30 these days.
Old 22nd February 2014, 23:02

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
Hi,

mike
I've been in my 30/40's ever since I found SAUK back in 2001, and have been going to meets since early 2002. Have found them helpful and enjoyable, even when the odd meet didn't go well. Never felt uncomfortable about my or anybody else's age. The mean age always seems to be late 20s to early 30s.