Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 25th March 2014, 23:25

Mood
Crappy

Default [Film] Remains of the Day

Any of you guys seen this film.

I really love it, esp Emma Thompson's character

Its a heart-breaking story, Anthony Hopkins character seems to have an avoidant type personality disorder which is quite interesting, he can function at a very high level with regard to work but is emotionally quite crippled ..I would say he is 'love-shy'.

I'm not sure what the message of the movie is.... I know it has one because I always end up in tears !

Anyways its a beautifully made film, check it out if your bored.
Old 4th May 2014, 02:02

Mood
Balanced

Default Re: [Film] Remains of the Day

One of my favourite films. Brilliant performances and beautifully shot and a heartbreaking storyline.
Old 4th May 2014, 11:32

Default Re: [Film] Remains of the Day

It's one of my favorites as well.
I do associate with Hopkins character in some ways and I agree that he is probably love shy. There's that scene where he wont employ a young house maid for some reason and Emma Thompson works out that it's because he finds her too attractive. There's also that scene where she corners him in his study and he looks scared.
I've not watched the film for years but as I remember it he wrongly perceives that she has rejected him over some trifling thing and becomes very cold towards her and nothing she can do will change it. It appears that she has even gone to the extreme of marrying someone just to try and make him jealous.
Some of the book is set in my home town. The pier scene in the film was shot on Weston pier though.
My guess is that the message, if there is one, is "Be true to your heart".