SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 5th October 2017, 19:38

Default Over half of young people are going gigs alone..

http://www.digitalspy.com/music/news...research-dice/

Quote:
Yep, apparently over half of young people aged between 18 and 24 have revealed they've been to a gig alone and most of those (a whopping 98% to be precise) would have no problem going to a gig alone again.
Old 5th October 2017, 19:48

Default Re: Over half of young people are going gigs alone..

I can see that. I go with people, but when I go I can see that loads of people are at gigs without anyone they know being there. It's not like you need to be sociable at a gig, you're just enjoying the music amongst a big crowd.
Old 5th October 2017, 20:00

I hate loud music personally, but if its motivation for anyone to go to a gig, and is apprehensive going alone
Old 6th October 2017, 22:16

Mood
Cynical

Probably because they can't find any friends that can be bothered to waste their time and money on gigs .
Old 7th October 2017, 02:35

Mood
Lurking

I always prefer to go with someone, but there was a time around 2000/2001 when I went to quite a few on my own. I enjoyed it.

I was only thinking about this last Friday. I was in Liverpool and walked past Costa Coffee in Liverpool ONE. Singer Damon Gough (Badly Drawn Boy) was sat outside having a coffee and it took me right back to seeing him play in Liverpool back around that time period. I recall going on my own, buying a Guinness on arrival and then having a great time on my todd, watching him down a bottle of JD on stage, playing a monster set and going through the curfew.

Saw a few others back then too. Mogwai, Mansun, Muse, who were supported by the then unknown Coldplay. I think it's sort of easy to just blend in when on your own at a gig. Experiences are for sharing to me, but I'm ok going to a show alone if I have to for whatever reason.
Old 7th October 2017, 02:47

Mood
Breezy

If none of your friends are interested in the gigs you want to see, why not go alone? Why miss out?
If you don't have any friends to go with, why let that be a reason to miss out?

Further to what biscuits said, in gigs there isn't that pressure to be talking to people, so this aspect makes it more approachable to go to alone. If anything, I think that can be a blessing for actually meeting new people. You can find your space, and if you do get talking to people, you're not wired with anxiety about having been too quiet.

Besides going to things alone can have many advantages
https://www.succeedsocially.com/goingoutalone

I posted the link because there's so many advantages that going to things alone without friends can bring that are mentioned that people might not give a second thought about.
Old 8th October 2017, 06:25

These figures surprise me, I thought most young people would make a night of it and go drinking afterwards.
Old 8th October 2017, 16:41

Mood
Mellow

I couldn't go to a gig alone,i'm happy to go to the cinema or theatre alone,but I have to share a gig or concert with someone,preferably someone who is as passionate about being there as I am.
Old 9th October 2017, 00:55

I might be going to a gig alone as my favourite band will be coming to perform near me in a couple of months and I don't have anyone to go with but I really want to go to see them. Hopefully I'll have the courage and not chicken out at the last minute.
Old 9th October 2017, 11:00

I've never been to a concert or anything of that nature alone (to be fair concerts aren't really my 'thing'). The closest I can come to that is being the first to arrive somewhere and had to wait for someone/group of people... I've done that a few times in recent years and whilst I've felt a bit 'exposed', I've handled it okay. Go back only six or seven years, there wouldn't have been a chance of me doing that.

I've been into several pubs on my own over the last six weeks or so alone. Not because I really want to (although it does help me with my own confidence), it's because I don't really have any other choice... It's either go out alone or don't go out at all.
Old 12th October 2017, 21:28

Mood
Daring

I have been to a concert once and also to a talk by Professor Brian Cox. I enjoyed both occasions and didn't feel awkward about being on my own or anything but it somehow felt wrong. I recall wishing I had come as part of a group and that it'd be much more fun. Bah.
Old 12th October 2017, 21:53

Mood
Shoveit

^ hey, impostor!! :0
Old 13th October 2017, 04:06

Mood
Breezy

RE going to a talk by Brian Cox; why did it feel wrong? Who noticed? Why would anyone care if you weren't with anyone? Who you're with and why you're not with friends isn't going to come up in conversation in an event like that. Most likely the topic of the talk and views. If anyone asks who you're with, just be honest, that you're interested in the talk and had no-one to go with. People have more on their minds to worry about. They're not going to be worried about why some random is at a lecture (or a gig) alone.
Old 13th October 2017, 05:56

Mood
Happy

I am no longer young but in my 20's went to a few concerts alone - anything from Neil Young to the Beastie Boys. It was either that or not go at all. I would only go if I was really keen on the band though as it was so hit or miss. Sometimes I would really enjoy myself and sometimes I would feel totally Billy No-mates in the gap between the support act and the main acting with people laughing and drinking all around me and me standing alone. Some great times and other times when I'd have been happier if I had stayed at home.
Old 13th October 2017, 22:01

Mood
Daring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miggs The Terrible
^ hey, impostor!! :0
Hey... man... I'm not terrible! :P
Old 5th November 2017, 09:53

Mood
Happy

in my day people though I was freak for going to gigs alone( not by choice).

The worst part was not being able to go to the toilet for half a day or drink alcohol, because i wouldve lost my place in the queue/front of the mosh pit. And Ive never been one to go without for long, painful times.
Old 6th November 2017, 19:35

Mood
Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlasgowFilmTheatreFan
I am no longer young but in my 20's went to a few concerts alone - anything from Neil Young to the Beastie Boys. It was either that or not go at all. I would only go if I was really keen on the band though as it was so hit or miss. Sometimes I would really enjoy myself and sometimes I would feel totally Billy No-mates in the gap between the support act and the main acting with people laughing and drinking all around me and me standing alone. Some great times and other times when I'd have been happier if I had stayed at home.
I almost went to a Beastie Boys concert in Liverpool back in the late 80s.

Wasn't going on my own though, it would have been with a couple of work mates.

Probably for the best we didnt go mind because the concert ended up in a riot. Think about a dozen folk ended up being beaten senseless, and quite a few others got glassed and badly injured . And if remember correctly chemical weapons were used as well. Oh and members of the band got arrested afterwards too.

In those days, poor performances by bands didn't go down too well .....