SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > SAUK Community > Club 30-81
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 18th August 2005, 14:57

Default Mutton dressed as lamb ?

Hallo my learned, handsome, ageing friends I have a question to ask of you:

Since my beloved puma california trainers have finally become tatty I wanted to buy something to replace them. Then it struck me: Jesus Christ man, you're 36 years old ! Dress your age ! Then I thought: How should I be dressing? Then I thought: What do the over 30 SAers wear? Then I posted this message. And here we are.

I guess due to stunted personal development and a lack of identity I've been dressing the same since i was 18, half of my lifetime ago. What do you wear and what do you think older ppl should wear? Do you cringe when you see middle-aged London media-types dressed like American teenagers? Do you find 'middle-youth' uncouth? Should sportswear be confined to the gym ? I would value your opinions

ttfn

trough
Old 18th August 2005, 15:12

Default Re: Mutton dressed as lamb ?

Sportswear is for people that are too lazy to use buttons.

I have a similar dillemma really... if I try to be trendy, I feel stupid, like I'm trying to pretend I'm younger; but if I dress more conservatively, I feel like an old fuddy-duddy, and people look at me like I have no sense of style.

Nothing ever suits me though anyway, which just adds to the problem

Pfft... bloody clothes, why did we have to lose our fur to begin with?
Old 18th August 2005, 17:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Neo_
... if I try to be trendy, I feel stupid, like I'm trying to pretend I'm younger; but if I dress more conservatively, I feel like an old fuddy-duddy, and people look at me like I have no sense of style.
Exactly! Pfft indeed
Old 19th August 2005, 11:27

I'm 30 but I still try to dress relatively fashionable.......luckily I look young for my age so I can get away with it (for the time being).
Old 19th August 2005, 11:53

I wear what I feel comfy in and sod what other people think of me.

I wear trainers (usually adidas) tracksuit bottoms and a variety of tshirts. I usually wear stuff that says something about me...Man U stuff, Wales stuff, Heavy metal stuff, Motorsports stuff.

I will occasionally wear black jeans instead of trackie bottoms.
Old 19th August 2005, 12:39

I dress the way I was when I was 18 too, but I didn't dress fashionably then either... occasionally people think I'm a student, persumably 'cos it's not exactly neat and tidy :s

For me it's jeans, T-shirt and trainers, and if other people don't like it, well, they don't like it. I'm not sure what I *should* be wearing but hadn't noticed that I dressed too young at all so I figure it can't be that bad....
Old 19th August 2005, 13:04

Mood
Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz
I dress the way I was when I was 18 too, but I didn't dress fashionably then either... occasionally people think I'm a student, persumably 'cos it's not exactly neat and tidy :s
ditto lol

I was into the smiths and indie in the 80's (remembers being laughed at for wearing converse and funky 70's shirts), dressed that way then and have since, I gather it evoled into whats know as "emo" now, which clothing style I like and feel comfortable in (always gotta have my adidas sambas though)

I couldnt give a monkeys how other people see me, these are the clothes I am comfortable in and will be an "indie" pensioner
Old 19th August 2005, 13:44

i think it is good to pay more attention to quality when you get older. i used to wear any old tat from charity shops etc and be able to pull it off. i don't think shabby chic is such a good look when people get older, well, with me anyway it just makes me look like a mad person (not something i want to advertise anymore). now, i think i appreciate things that are a bit more timeless, well-cut, well-designed etc. if you know that a certain style works for you, then its worth investing a bit extra in a few quality key pieces and then working around those. i don't think many people radically change their style after a certain age anyway, its more about refining it.
Old 19th August 2005, 17:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavycrazy
I'm 30 but I still try to dress relatively fashionable.......luckily I look young for my age so I can get away with it (for the time being).
Yes, I know what you mean Cavycrazy.... I look young for my age too - I'm 30 as well now - I feel the same too about the way I dress.
Old 21st August 2005, 03:30

Like Kaz my "Style" has not changed a lot since I was 18 years old.

I still wear trainer’s, usually dark blue and always DCSHOEUSA because they last ages, then always jeans (dark blue), and Tee-shirts, although all the colours have to be dark or nondescript, usually navy Blue, black, and dark green that sort of thing, occasionally I might push the boat out and wear a light grey tee-shirt or a darkish brown one.

I do have a fair few slogan/Trademark tee-shirts, but the slogan/Trademark has to be quite small and discreet.

I choose manly the above, because I feel I blend into the crowd more and don’t stand out. I could never walk into a pub wearing a bright colored “Anthony Hutton type” shirt. or have a big F**k off Adidas sign plastered all over my chest.

I also wear a hooded top (Dark Grey) quite a lot around autumn time, and have a Noel Gallagher type coat with a zipped pouch on the front, Which I brought off Camden Market about 3 years ago and is still a firm favorite. (yep its dark Blue). In winter I switch to boots (Black not brown) and a dark coloured coat.

I’m a nightmare to go shopping with and hate the experience, a couple of my ex girlfriends have found themselves exasperated after picking out clothes for me, only to have me turning my nose up at them because they didn’t fit the above criteria. I had one ex girlfriend who would like to “surprise me” every so often by choosing a item of clothing “to brighten me up a bit”. It always went back to the shop without me even trying it on.

I don’t drink/take drugs anymore, so I spend a little more on clothes than I used too, shoes up to 80quid, jeans up to 60/70quid and tee-shirts about 10-40quid. I have to buy a new coat for the winter and will properly go up to about a 100quid.

I always have at least 3 pairs of jeans and have about 30 odd tee-shirts, I never wear the same tee-shirt more than twice without washing it. And always keep a minimum choice of three tee-shirts new and unworn just incase I’m invited to go somewhere special (Which isn’t often).

I don’t go shopping for clothes every week, I save up the money and usually go every 3/4months and try and get everything I need in one go.

Around the flat I wear trakkie bottoms (Black) and usually an old tee-shirt(See above), I never venture further than the local shop in this outfit.

I’ve never really considered whether I dress too young or not and I’m not that arsed to be honest with you. I like it, and I’m used to it. And the one thing I hate is change. Maybe the hooded top is a little borderline, but I like it because it’s comfortable, and it allows me to give the impression that I’m harder than I actually am, when I’m walking through the town centre with my hands in the front, and my shoulders out, People move out of my way, and this suits me just fine.

Most of my non SA friends around the same age wear similar clothes to me, only brighter colours.

Overall, I would describe my “style” as understated but quite trendy.

I’m not picky when it comes to clothes honest. :embarass:
Old 21st August 2005, 12:34

Thx for your posts folks. I think having spent the last 2 years at uni with whipper-snappers made me wonder whether I'd totally lost touch with my own age group, but apparently not

As threadbare suggested tho, I think maybe it's time to call-in some more mature, good quality clothes to begin to mix in, tho still keep those record label and tour shirts for loafing in.

I just landed a job so might actually have some dosh to spend on clothes -- woohoo!

cheers

trough :D
Old 24th August 2005, 22:59
meg

Someone at work the other day thought I was 10 years younger than I am (41) - Kool!:D
I definately dress young for my age - sort of scruffy / studenty / slightly trendy. I lived in leggins (remember them - yuk! - my dad used to say I looked like - oh damn, I've forgotton - some comedian!!!) and long baggy t-shirts (not a good look) for many years but after I gave up drinking and had some counselling, I got a bit more confident and started to wear JEANS!!!
Have ventured further to combat trousers...
This year I even bought a SKIRT!!! Then I went mad and bought 2 more. The first time I wore one I felt practically naked, and very "girly", but when i got used to it it was nice to feel the air around my legs (I only wear skirts on hot days).
I have no intention of getting old gracefully. I will do lamb for as long as I can skip!
Old 25th August 2005, 22:09
fiona

I've got lots of up to date stuff. I can't wear midriff bearing clothes or skinny tight tops as my belly is wobbly to say the least lol but everything else is trendy although I feel a bit out of place in my military style jacket that is supposed to be all the rage at the moment

I just love New Look at the moment and Primark when I can get there. I can't afford a lot so I look out for the bargains.

I like to see older women smartly dressed with nice hair, well groomed. I don't class myself as old yet, that will be when I'm about 60 so 20 years to go lol
Old 25th August 2005, 23:25

Mood
Pensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by meg

I lived in leggins (remember them - yuk! - my dad used to say I looked like - oh damn, I've forgotton - some comedian!!!)

Max Wall? :D

I don't often have cause to 'get dressed up,' being a work-home-work-home-supermarket-work-home *yawn*, type of guy.
But when i do i try and make a bit of an effort. I'm a sucker for Next clobber i must admit.

Last edited by filo; 26th August 2005 at 23:02.
Old 26th August 2005, 22:00
meg

Quote:
Originally Posted by filo
Max Wall? :D
That's the one!
Old 27th August 2005, 01:50
fiona

Oh I loved leggings and thought they would be a classic but no no no not now lololol , bootlegs oh love them dont let them go out please....!!! They have? No bootlegs are ace :D
Old 2nd September 2005, 10:09
Leeks & Bacon

Yeah is a tricky one. I at the moment am having a strong liking towards well made clothes, but worn scruffily. I adore the "i just gotta out of bed, after drinking a bottle of scotch last night cause the world is kicking me in the pants look" But, I think however you wear clothes, its kinda how you wear em, as in, I love seeing an middle age person wearing something completely identifyable, but with the attitude "Fcuk you lot, i dont give a shit whatcha think"

Its picking what kinda genre you like, and having that attitude that wins for me. Personally the unshaven, white T shirt, well worn jeans, and some decent well made working boots, wins hands down. Oh and with a pack of smokes on the go.
Old 2nd September 2005, 23:57

Basically, I just wear what I like and age doesn’t really come into it. I think it’s more important that the clothes actually suit a person. A lot of clothes, that are probably designed with young people in mind, look great on older people too. It really depends more on your colouring and your body shape, rather than your age. The only time that I probably think that someone shouldn’t be wearing something that’s too young for them is when older ladies wear mini skirts. Men can get away with wearing any kind of clothes, as long as they actually suit them though, but, when women get to a certain age then they really should drop their hemlines a bit.

Apart from the age thing, why do so many fat people think that everyone wants to see their beer guts hanging out from underneath their tops, or their thighs wobbling when they’re wearing short skirts. Then again though, they’re obviously quite happy and confident wearing them, so good on them I suppose.

I love clothes and I like to see people that have real style. People that don’t care what shops they buy their clothes from, which makes etc (mixing expensive and cheap clothing) People that know what type and colour of clothes suit them and could take most items of clothing and mix it with the right things and end up looking stunning.

Some people just try too hard, like trying to fit in with a certain style or wearing certain makes and it usually looks pretty crap and they just end up looking like most other people who are into that certain style. I just find it boring to stick to a certain style of clothing
Old 3rd September 2005, 01:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeks & Bacon
But, I think however you wear clothes, its kinda how you wear em, as in, I love seeing an middle age person wearing something completely identifyable, but with the attitude "Fcuk you lot, i dont give a shit whatcha think"
This is good. I might have that printed on a T-shirt.
Old 3rd October 2005, 12:24

I dress the same as I did when I was 18, usually in black clothes. Sometimes I wear a leather jacket, black trousers or long black skirts, DM boots, -loads of different boots- ladies combats, my favourite selection of T-shirts with fantastic art and symbols. Sometimes I wear soft casuals when I'm at home or just going for a walk. In summer I wear long floral skirts with either a pair of light shoes or high heeled boots (not tarty but businesslike boots). When I dress smartly I wear a smart jacket and either these velvet black trousers or black skirts. In winter I wear long coats, long thick dresses or jeans with a long cardi and striped longish jumpers. Depending on what time of year it is and where I'm going I change my wardrobe.

I've never followed fashion trends as I've kept my own style but there's 2 major things I don't wear anymore since I turned 20... mini skirts and shorts!!! They'd look tacky and nasty on me today but a teenager can get away with wearing crap like this.
Closed Thread