SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 20th May 2015, 23:23

Default Adulation Junkies

I think some of my woes come from the fact that I am a bit of an adulation junkie. I can think of nothing more thrilling than being famous, with people falling over themselves just to get a glimpse of me, or to be near me. "Stand like umm," they'd say. "Wear that shirt that umm wears." Wonderful. That attention, just hearing my name bobbing along the top of the conversation like a crowd surfer - it's pure emotional sugar. How amazing it would all be.

The smattering of times this has happened, the excitement gets the better of me. I'm completely unable to handle myself. I'm like a kid who gets handed a powerful lazer weapon. The energy flowing from the thing is incredible, a live charge, but then I end up making a right old mess, and the adoring hands recede. Gah.

Anyone else feel this way? I'm sure I'm some kind of idiot for having these thoughts, and that I should really get back in my box&seal it shut, but there it is.
Old 20th May 2015, 23:38

Default Re: Adulation Junkies

@ Suedehead. Huh. You may be right. But there again, I can't be a very good, very effective narcissist. Is narcissism bad? Can't I just blame it on a lack of the right kind of attention? But I dunno. I don't feel like a narcissist. I like helping people out and I would also go out on a limb and say I am not too bad at it mostly.

I shall enjoy some cheese and wine and sleep on it.
Old 20th May 2015, 23:39

@ Mark09 - exactly so
Old 21st May 2015, 18:17

Mood
Fine

Nope, never. I would like to be completely invisible at will, I don't even like attention from birthdays.
Old 21st May 2015, 20:48

We're all narcissists to some degree. otherwise you wouldn't put make up on your face or do your hair in the morning.

'Ummm' your dreams of fame (not fortune) is a common one dreamt by 99% of reality 'stars' and Psychopaths like that guy in Norway who shot a load of kids. Everybody at some point becomes bored of anonymity and wants to be noticed, but make it about something important to you... like maybe you're famous for finding a cure for some disease or a skilled footballer who preaches about equality. I believe it would be more fulfilling than fame for the sake of fame.
Old 25th May 2015, 08:34

Mood
Breezy

There are degrees of narcissism. It's a trait everyone has to some degree but you wouldn't describe someone who has very low levels of narcissistic behaviour as a narcissist.