SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 25th March 2008, 11:09

Question need help before 2pm today

I have got to go to hospital today and because I am on medication I can not drive my car so I am getting picked up by a total stranger from the hospital transport team. I can hardly talk to my own family let alone a total stranger. At the hospital itself I have to go through an hours assessment to make sure I am fit enough for a operation on the first of april and then back in the car again. This could take about three hours altogether and I am shaking like a leaf just thinking about it. I am sure I am going to have a panic attack. I am sat at home by myself as it is as everybody is out, I can not stand the isolation as I am off work aswell. I do not know what to say to this driver who is picking me up and will probaly have trouble with my speech or just sit there not saying a word. I hardly spoke all easter weekend as it is, I can not go on living like this. I am not seeing my health nurse until thursday so I do not know how I am going to cope as my only friend is busy so I do not see her very often. I only have the dog for company at the moment and I can not do this every day. Any advice would be grateful.
Old 25th March 2008, 11:27
Banned

Default Re: need help before 2pm today

Quote:
Originally Posted by kardeg1
I have got to go to hospital today and because I am on medication I can not drive my car so I am getting picked up by a total stranger from the hospital transport team. I can hardly talk to my own family let alone a total stranger. At the hospital itself I have to go through an hours assessment to make sure I am fit enough for a operation on the first of april and then back in the car again. This could take about three hours altogether and I am shaking like a leaf just thinking about it. I am sure I am going to have a panic attack. I am sat at home by myself as it is as everybody is out, I can not stand the isolation as I am off work aswell. I do not know what to say to this driver who is picking me up and will probaly have trouble with my speech or just sit there not saying a word. I hardly spoke all easter weekend as it is, I can not go on living like this. I am not seeing my health nurse until thursday so I do not know how I am going to cope as my only friend is busy so I do not see her very often. I only have the dog for company at the moment and I can not do this every day. Any advice would be grateful.
take loads on newspapers and magazines on ur journey with u so u can read them and not have to talk. also it will make the 3 hours seem a lot quicker.

as 4 the whole isolation thing the obvious solution is to try beating ur SA so that u become a more outgoing person and start having more people in ur life. but in the mean time why dont u start an exercise programme or study something u are passionate about in ur spare time, that wud help with the isolation
Old 25th March 2008, 11:28

I don't know what to say, I've read an awful lot of your posts and you seem to be going through hell I really feel for you.

If you can muster the courage or voice maybe when you get in the car just a simple 'Thankyou' will surfice, Working for a hospital the driver will no doubt be used to all sorts of diffrent people and situations, so try not to worry about it too much, you'll not do yourself any good in he long run.

Just try and stay calm, Take some deep breaths, take the dog for a walk or maybe just go and sit in the garden and watch it play, Anything really to take your mind off things.

Thats all I can sy I'm sorry I'm not very good at these sort of things.

I hope it all goes well for you.
Katie.xx
Old 25th March 2008, 11:28
Founder

The driver will likely not want to chat and you're certainly not expected to talk to him. I would bring a book or better an ipod if you have one-that cuts off all conversation quickly. Just say hello and then start reading (or pretending to read).

I don't know what else to say except to try and hang on until you see your nurse on Thursday.
Good luck,
Anne
Old 25th March 2008, 12:00

Yeh I agree with what was said.

If not reading material then music. Reading would probably be better.

Try saying basic things to be polite, hi/thankyou etc. You dont need to have a conversation.

Try your best not to worry. Having a bath helps me relax personally.
Closed Thread