SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 11th April 2020, 23:20

Default Apartment already getting rather warm..

Is anyone else starting to notice their flat or house becoming warm? It's been about 16 degrees and sunny the last few days and it's beginning to feel rather warm inside. The room temperature on the thermostat is between 21.5 and 22.5 degrees even at night time, which to me is warm. I live in a ground floor studio apartment, which is fairly large but only has one small window. I've had my window open all day and the fan on most of the day, by the window, but the temperature isn't going below 21.5.

Does anyone have any tips on cooling down my flat? It's my first spring/summer here and I wouldn't be as bothered about it under normal circumstances as I'd be going out to work 4 days a week, but because I'm no longer working and inside all day and night its getting uncomfortable and Im feeling trapped and clastraphonic. Worried about what it will be like in the summer months or if we get another heat wave like the last two years. I've had quite a bad headache the last few days, which is probably down to lack of fresh air as well as stress/worrying too much about it. Lockdown is making me feel quite down
and scared and I have no garden or anything. I dont want to go out because I'm really scared about being in contact with people, I have asthma which is mild but I still worry about it.
Old 11th April 2020, 23:23

Default Re: Apartment already getting rather warm..

Are you on the ground floor or above? I think I get quite a lot of heat from the flat below. It's been up to 24 in the lounge sometimes, the heating is off but it might be the boiler which is in there plus the washer drier generates heat.
Anyway it's probably a good time to buy a fan if you don't have one already, everyone's going to be getting them come summertime.
Old 11th April 2020, 23:25

A bowl of iced water in front of a fan so the air blows over it can help,not for the flat but for yourself a hot water bottle part-filled with cold water and put in the fridge to chill can be handy to hold or hug. If you're looking to buy new stuff you can get actual air-coolers as opposed to air-con,one we had years ago was great but when it had to be replaced the new model sounded like a jet plane taking off and was literally unusuable,did blast out cold air though.

I hate heat too,especially with no respite at night like the last couple of years so fingers crossed. I hope you find something that helps!
Old 14th April 2020, 04:47

Thanks for your messages yes it’s been nice and cold today and I had my window open with the fan placed on a table in front of it for most of the day, the cold air was amazing, like having air con! But now window closed temp has gone back up and feels like heating is on when it’s not. My flat is a ground floor so no heat coming from anyone below but there are flats either side of mine. I ordered a cooler which you can add cold water and ice to so I hope that helps me get through the warmer months! Cold hot water bottle is a great idea, I was watching YouTube videos and putting tshirt, pillow case etc. in the fridge/freezer is a good one too.

I think the boiler is what’s causing all the heat as it’s large and has loads of pipes running from it, so think it is used by the flats either side of me too. Temperature has been ok in winter, we’ll I only moved in in feb, but I haven’t needed heating on as it was about 18 or 19 degrees most days, but not sure why it’s going up to 22 now it’s April, especially on the cooler days like today.. maybe there is a problem with the boiler, think I’ll have to ask landlord, but the thought of that is causing anxiety and I’m worrying about how I’ll ask them! I just find 22 degrees too hot, especially when I’m indoors so much now. I am trying to remember to drink plenty of water, this is something I’m always forgetting to do!!
Old 14th April 2020, 10:57

I'm experiencing the same where i'm at too. I'm sandwiched between flats in all directions. I moved here in Feb also, needed no heating as it was comfortably short of 20c, and now it's around 22c.

Summer in this place wasn't a consideration for me until lockdown began because i was scheduled to be out of here by May as it was only a temporary arrangement, but now it looks like i might be staying till autumn at least.

As it is i'm quite fine with it being a bit warmer, it's still within my comfort range and given room for acclimatising i'd push it to upper 20s, but that's as far as i can go before i become (even more of) a dysfunctioning mess and life becomes a slog.

Are you still experiencing headaches?
Old 18th April 2020, 02:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Spud
I'm experiencing the same where i'm at too. I'm sandwiched between flats in all directions. I moved here in Feb also, needed no heating as it was comfortably short of 20c, and now it's around 22c.

Summer in this place wasn't a consideration for me until lockdown began because i was scheduled to be out of here by May as it was only a temporary arrangement, but now it looks like i might be staying till autumn at least.

As it is i'm quite fine with it being a bit warmer, it's still within my comfort range and given room for acclimatising i'd push it to upper 20s, but that's as far as i can go before i become (even more of) a dysfunctioning mess and life becomes a slog.

Are you still experiencing headaches?
It’s horrible being sandwiched between flats, hopefully it won’t get too much warmer during the summer. I moved here to be closer to my parents and I was staying at their house two nights a week, really enjoyed their company and my dad has dementia so I wanted to be close to them. Feeling quite down I can’t do that right now. I know things could we much worse, I always seem to be worrying about something.

I’ve not had any headaches this week thankfully, I’ve had the window open and a fan blowing around the cool air so that’s really helped me and I went for a walk at 7am yesterday morning which did help clear my mind somewhat. What have you been doing during the lockdown? Have you been out for any walks?