SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Welcome & Introductions Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 26th June 2008, 13:55

Default hello im a newbie!!

Hi, im aged 30 and a mum.
i feel so releived that im not the only one who feels this way and i have someone who can understand how im feeling.

Although i Think i may have always suffered from this condition i started to find it more difficult and noticable at christmas so i flicked through the net to see if anyone else felt this way and I diagnosed myself with SA. i have been trying to ignore this and pretend that i dont have such a thing, but just recently i have had a huge fall out with my best and only close friend and its all down to my SA problems and now i feel so lonely, stupid and upset. I probably have it quite mild to some people as i do manage to get of the house and comunicate with people but I feel very paranoid that people dont like me, are always critisising me, laughing at me behind my back, and i take things the wrong way and always feel people are against me. i also dislike any sort of attention on me and this has caused some big problems over the past 2 years with my college course plus i have various other traits but i can go into those another time.
Anyway i have never told anyone that i have SA but after the past week being so bad for me and now im feeling so down i have just made myself a dr apointment, only problem is its not for another 10 days and i bet i chicken out before then. can anyone tell me what to expect from my first apointment with the DR? im very scared and embaressed to admit this to someone in person.
Old 26th June 2008, 15:11

Default Re: hello im a newbie!!

Hi,

Definitely keep the appointment with your GP. He will listen to what you have to say and might offer you anti-depressants. You need to decide if that's what you want though, as in are you depressed because of the situation you find yourself in, or do you have a tendancy to be depressed for reasons you can't explain. Either way, a course of anti-depressents might help you to deal with things as they are just now. Another thing he might offer you is councelling or CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy). Both these are a good thing but there is usually a long waiting list so be aware of that too.

Good luck
Old 26th June 2008, 16:01
I.G.

Welcome to the site, hazyhead
Old 26th June 2008, 16:33

Welcome aboard hazyhead, good luck with the Dr.s
Old 26th June 2008, 16:34
Administrator

Mood
Tired

How do!
Old 26th June 2008, 17:16

Hi hazyhead,

welcome to the site!

i got someone to come with me for my first appointment to back me up. my doctor was very sympathetic which helped and put me on anti-depressents straight away. I was aware that i needed drugs of some kind and was determined to get them..but i didnt want to seem too foreceful with the doc as meant to be shy with sa, if know what mean. they also set me up with nhs cbt.

i was nervous about going as i was embarrised as well but you've got to remember that doctors have seen it all before and a whole lot worse!

good luck with the appointment!!
Old 26th June 2008, 19:44

Thanks guys, its so good to talk to others who are going through this too
Thats a good idea maro i dont have anyone i can go to the dr with though, i will have to be brave and do it by myself. i havn't told anyone, not even my mum who i'm really close too, i just cant bring myself to tell her. she would probably be completly understanding and try to help me through it but i feel like i'l be a disapointment and embarisment to her and i dont want to give her any more stress either.

loving all these smilies on this site

oh, one last one
Old 26th June 2008, 21:18

^ Oooh loving you avatar Hazy. I just noticed you're in Devon, I'm from just over the border in Cornwall, about 15 miles from Plymouth. Woop woop, there are more and more of us South westers now.
Old 27th June 2008, 21:27

Welcome to the site

Hope the appointment goes well
Old 27th June 2008, 22:39

Hi - welcome - good luck at the doctors.
Old 28th June 2008, 12:14

Welcome hazyhead, hope the doctor's appointment goes well. In my experience doctors do tend to go straight for the prescription pad so if yours does you may need to ask if you could have some cbt done.
Old 28th June 2008, 15:43
Mama Shaz

Welcome to the site Hazyhead
Old 1st July 2008, 11:59

Mood
Pensive

Welcome Hazyhead and good luck with the doctors - some smilies for your delectation:

Old 1st July 2008, 20:32

Hi Hazy,
Welcome to the site, hope the Doc app goes well, it should.
I braved it up and went to the doctors a few months ago, I was refered to a nhs clinic, that appointment was a week ago, they were very understanding, and now im awaiting a reply to say what their gonna do.
I think the biggest step is being aware of SA, comming on this site and talking about it, talking to docs about it, these are already big steps in understanding whats going on and how to resolve it

Its so nice being able to talk to others about it without feeling embaressed
x
Old 6th July 2008, 14:36

thanks for all your welcome messages.
im feeling very anxious today, i have my dr appointment tomorrow. i hope i dont bottle out, im so scared he wont take me seriously.
Wish me luck!!!!!
Old 6th July 2008, 15:36
I.G.

Good luck - you'll be fine
Old 6th July 2008, 18:16

Mood
Musical

Hi hazyhead

to SAUK

Hope this site is helpful!