SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 2nd September 2006, 21:01

Default Nervous Breakdown

Has anyone else experienced, or come close to, a nervous breakdown? I did in the spring and I've been meaning to write and ask if anyone recognises my symptoms. There were three that really stand out:

1. A state of permanent anxiety. Like having butterflies in your stomach twenty four hours a day- until your stomach actually hurts.

2. I literally couldn't bear to sit down. I remember crossing London and finding being on buses and trains agony because I couldn't put up with sitting still, even for 10 minutes.

3. Hatred of being alone.

Also, mega insomnia and loss of appetite along with wanting to talk about problems and what I was going to do- all the time, even at 2a.m.

I was definitely headed for a breakdown, but I went back on seroxat and bingo, all the symptoms went within a couple of weeks. I hate being on the stuff and would give a lot to be confident and strong wthout it but it really did save me. I only took 20mg and am now on just 10. I know it doesn't work for everyone and withdrawl is a BITCH but it worked for me. Anyway, I know these symptoms are characteristic of depression, G.A.D and S.A, but they were too intense and persistent to be just an intensification of already present problems.
Old 3rd September 2006, 00:21

Default Re: Nervous Breakdown

had one 7 years ago, i wish id regonised the symptoms but never having had one before i didnt so didnt know how to or what to do,

It started with me being off work, trying to go back but feeling a compelte alien to everyone, a zombie, felt like everyone was looking atme and judgeing me, errectic thinking all over the place, you dont know were you are you forget were you are, its like your brain switches off, you get other symptoms of colds etc,

talked all the time at home, and would fall asleep talking, things going over and over and over in my head,

nightmares, crying all the time, panic attacks, yes the butterflys till it hurts and you feel sick, you cannt eat then, not being able to do anything which is a cause of depression which goes with breakdowns, not having an intrest in anything, and it seems you cant even if you try, you are tired all the time, you stair at nothing, you want to die, yet you cantn go sleep, i dont reamber most of it as i really went bad their the early symtoms for me! i wasnt their in my own head for years after! :-/
Old 3rd September 2006, 01:05

Mood
Pensive

I had one over 20 years ago.

The symptoms were total loss of control over emotions.

I can't really say any more because that sums it up perfectly.
Old 3rd September 2006, 02:34

Mood
Lucky

I had one three years back and I just lost everything. Crying all the time (pretty much literally), totally on edge 24-7, sound and vision became too much so I tended to wrap my head under the duvet even when awake for hours on end. Lost all sense of reality and desire and interest and anything. Fear of everything became magnified to an inexplicably massive proportion. Everything became a potential way of killing myself, so if I went out, would have constant 'power-urges' of jumping out in front of cars, throwing myself off heights and sharp objects at home would have to be taped up. Basically, lost five months of my life and it's not even all back now. Could say lots more but don't like to dwell. Totally f*cked up.
Old 3rd September 2006, 11:19
Intro Guy

I had one about six years ago. I just sort of shut down and could hardly function anymore. I also became frightened of just about everything and could no longer cope with everyday life. I was taken into hospital and put on a mental ward.
They had to sedate me to the point where I could hardly keep my eyes open, and they monitored me constantly.

I didn't like being in hospital (the ward was predominantly filled with young drug addicts, some of them had been sectioned for commiting crimes) but I knew I needed to be there.
I honestly thought I would never get better, but slowly I started to improve with the help of the doctors and the right medication.

I hope it never happens again as it was a horrible experience.
Old 3rd September 2006, 12:40
Intro Guy

Cheers Bananaman
Old 3rd September 2006, 13:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moksha
Has anyone else experienced, or come close to, a nervous breakdown? I did in the spring and I've been meaning to write and ask if anyone recognises my symptoms. There were three that really stand out:

1. A state of permanent anxiety. Like having butterflies in your stomach twenty four hours a day- until your stomach actually hurts.

2. I literally couldn't bear to sit down. I remember crossing London and finding being on buses and trains agony because I couldn't put up with sitting still, even for 10 minutes.

3. Hatred of being alone.

Also, mega insomnia and wanting to talk about problems and what I was going to do- all the time, even at 2a.m.

I was definitely headed for a breakdown, but I went back on seroxat and bingo, all the symtoms went within a couple of weeks. I hate being on the stuff and would give a lot to be confident and strong wthout it but it really did save me. I only took 20mg and am now on just 10. I know it doesn't work for everyone and withdrawl is a BITCH to rival coming off heroin (I should think), but it worked for me. Anyway, I know these symptoms are characteristic of depression, G.A.D and S.A, but they were too intense and persistent to be just an intensification of already present problems.
1. Not so much anxiety as paralysis.
2. I often feel unsettled and unable to concentrate. I move from room to room a lot, even if there is no practical point.
3. Absolutely.
4. Need to talk? Yes, it goes from two extremes. Being able to pour out the contents of my mind on to a page (where I can fill an entire book) or being unable to say anything. At all.

The thing is I am not sure if mine is a breakdown, because they're integrated into my personality. I don't know anything else.

It sounds like you had it rough. Glad you're feeling better.
Old 3rd September 2006, 21:19

Mood
Thinking

I think I maybe fell into this category towards the end of the 1st year of uni (2001)...... And tbh, if I don't start to look after my own interests over the next couple of weeks, I could get close to that point again.....But I know I'm almost certain the severity will be no-where near......

That potential suicide thing rings true (defo throwing myself in front of trucks)........ Also flashbacks/whole life flashing before me....... Mega self-doubt....Mega-questioning of oneself...... Absolutely sick/shameful intrusive thoughts....... Loss of sense of self......Loss of sense of reality......
.....Thats when I was put on Venlafaxine for the 1st time....... Still on em now!

Defo not cricket is it?
Old 7th September 2006, 10:27

That totally happened to me when i was 22 (im now 29) but i put such huge pressure on myself to keep working and continue as normal that i didnt seek help and it just seemed to sort itself out.

I still get mini-breakdowns which i call 'setbacks' they come out of the blue and are HORRIBLE, knot in the tummy that wont go away, no appetite, feel out of control, unable to relax etc... but lasts about a month every year or two. If i feel myself start to go, i organise a mini-break and that 'pulls' me out.

Stay positive, it always heals over time! xx
Old 16th October 2006, 10:13

Yep a crippling one at 18 which took me out of existence until I was 22, what a delightful 4 years that was.:D
Closed Thread