SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > SAUK Community > Club 30-81
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 21st May 2018, 01:34

Mood
Dead

Default Re: Does not having children (in your 30s plus) bother you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus

Having said that, there's no way I am ever going to have kids. I'd be a terrible parent and for people like me the world is not much more than a work camp. It does bother me that I have let my parents down by not giving them any grandchildren, but that would be a really bad reason for wanting to have children.
There just isn't a good reason. Better to adopt.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/pe...not-being-born
Old 21st May 2018, 02:52

Mood
Fine

Since I hit my mid-thirties it has started to bother me, but I've not even been intimate with anyone nor worked a proper regular job, two things which are kinda required.

I have in the past been looking over dating sites and found myself skipping profiles of women who have "Does not want children", so I guess it's been in the back of my mind for quite a while.
Old 21st May 2018, 17:24

Mood
Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freyja
That reminds me of this page I follow -> https://www.facebook.com/IRegretHavingChildren/
Usually some interesting reads of why not to do it.

My favourite one is this one though -> https://www.facebook.com/IOTBCF2/

I know a few guys who have had vasectomies, they all say life is better without the worries. There's a lot of bullshit about vasectomies though, I recommend you watch a documentary called "The Vasectomist", a lot of guys recommend it.
That first link there is why I will not be pushed, or guilted or encouraged to have a child I don't want! Society needs to start being much more honest about the whole thing.
Old 22nd May 2018, 17:02

Mood
Cynical

^ Yeah, it's definitely not what I want to do and with my mental health situation it wouldn't be the right thing to do anyway. I know some people really love having children, or atleast the majority of what's involved, but the thought of the whole thing doesn't appeal to me.

I have had people comment on me not having children, particularly my Mum who is really excited to have grandchildren but I've assured her she won't be getting any from me!
Old 22nd May 2018, 18:04

My mum is accepting that she won't be having any grandkids from me. Her older sisters eldest daughter is in her late 40s and never wanted kids and thus never had kids. So my mum sees that when I say I'm not having them I mean I'm not having them.
My sisters seem to think I will though. Every time I get a new boyfriend my sister's husband asks me when I'm having them. I tell him the 5th of never. He's a simple man, it confuses him.
Old 22nd May 2018, 19:15

Mood
Cynical

^ I'm the only girl in my family so for some reason there seems to be more expectation that I'll want to have kids. Also my Mum thinks she must have somehow messed me up in my childhood if I don't want to, which while there are some things from my upbringing that I wouldn"'t want to repeat I don't see why it can't just be a legitimate choice that I'm making lol.
Old 22nd May 2018, 19:34
Banned

Quote:
If you don't want kids then you should definitely not do it, don't listen to all the guilt tripping nonsense people tell you. Having kids looks absolutely miserable to me, you literally have no free time at all. I'm convinced a lot of parents just say it's a blessing or whatever because they want you to be as miserable as they are because misery loves company. Don't even get me started on when people say having kids is a life achievement hahahaha. Lets just say I think it's the complete opposite.

I'd rather go on holiday all the time and go for mustang adventures. Sipping cocktails on a beach over wiping shitty arses any day. Not to mention how bitchy it is in parent school communities. Have you ever picked a kid up from school for a friend before? Just doing it felt like I wanted to hang myself.

You'd think it'd be like that but it's really not. You get really intrusive people asking you tons of questions about it. I think I've gotten every single one on the famed breeder bingo card, I've also got endless reasons for every single one. It infuriates me to no end when people get all up in your guff about it. I've literally disowned friends for it before because they couldn't respect my choice hence them not respecting me as a person so they can do one. How is it fair I can respect them having kids but not the opposite way around? Haha.

Best post ever! Could've written that myself.
I feel exactly like you. People with kids always look stressed and miserable to me. I value my peace and quiet way too much for all that nonsense.

I'm jelous you had your tubes clipped. I want to be sterilised, contraception is such a pain.
Old 23rd May 2018, 08:06
Banned

Amazing woman.
Old 23rd May 2018, 16:38
Banned

^
Old 23rd May 2018, 23:35

Mood
Cynical

^ You're not a womb? I'm not a womb either.
Old 24th May 2018, 05:29

I've seen the direction humanity is taking and I think it would be cruel and vindictive to bring a child into what looks to be a very dark future. Not that someone can't live a fulfilling and happy life, but probably only at the expense of someone else, taking from the rapidly shrinking pool of resources that humans need for an existence beyond desperate constant scrabbling for food and water. Besides my genes are not much of a guarantee of happiness anyway, I'm predisposed to a miserable outlook and it's plausible that my offspring would inherit that tendency.
Besides its a moot point as nobody wishes to have children with me. I can't manage a relationship never mind the shared responsibility of guiding a newborn to a state of adulthood I've never really achieved myself.
Old 24th May 2018, 10:02

Nope, not in the slightest. I don't even have the money to fully support myself, let alone a dependant. Plus I find kids annoying, so that's two strikes. And I'm too self-centred to be a father - I like my peace and quiet too much.
Not to mention that in my view bringing a child into our future world could be considered almost an abuse. As someone else in the thread mentioned, we have 8 billion people on the planet and that number increases by 200,000 every day (from memory). We're already fighting for precious resources and wrecking our world; I don't want to be responsible for exposing some poor blighter to that ominous future. (With apologies to parents on this forum).
Old 24th May 2018, 19:48

Mood
Cynical

^ Oh I agree it is a miracle to create a totally new human being and I understand why some people want to do it,it's just not for me

Someone in a video I was watching today described having to drag her two wailing children out of a park because they'd been warned that if they threw sand they would have to go home, and they still threw the sand. I'm not sure people think of those moments when they're deciding to have a baby.
Old 25th May 2018, 16:51
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny88
Have you heard Bill Hicks talk about the miracle of childbirth?
That sounds like something I'd like to listen to lol
Old 25th May 2018, 21:01

Mood
Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny88
Have you heard Bill Hicks talk about the miracle of childbirth?
I haven't but I get the feeling I should

I do think that actual childbirth is a cruel trick nature plays on us, it does not sound like a beautiful miracle lol.
Old 25th May 2018, 23:02

Mood
Sad

I wish I could be as passionately anti-children as some of you, as it would make it easier. I think it's worse when you're not 100% sure either way. I always thought I didn't want kids and, on the whole, I can't see me having kids, but I'm 34 and fertility declines rapidly after 35, apparently, so it's on my mind, because what if I regret not having a family?

Ultimately, I don't like the thought of carrying a child, though, and I think I'd be okay with the baby phase (apart from sleep deprivation), but it's what they turn into that puts me off. Once they start having their own opinions and questioning me, I don't know how I'd cope. I was a horrible teenager (aren't most teenagers?!) Plus, maybe it would be cruel to inflict myself on a sprog.

Mind you, I'm single and live at home with no prospect of that changing any time soon, so it's pointless thinking about it really!
Old 26th May 2018, 09:13

Mood
Alienated

I got into a right debate at work yesterday, someone was ranting about their kid being a pain, she turned to me..god don't ever have kids!

To which I respond, don't worry I won't..never ever, not a chance

"What? Your never having kids?!, how can you do that, I couldn't imagine my life without having my children!" ..and on it went for 15 minutes.

Like, christ on a bike..I felt like I was getting a bollocking at school, and I'm male..if I was female I can only imagine the ranting I would have received, I have to sympathize with you women not wanting kids, you must get a right earful from certain people
Old 26th May 2018, 10:50

Mood
Cynical

^ It's odd how people confuse the idea of them not being able to imagine their life without their children (which you'd hope they couldn't because otherwise they'd be wishing their children hadn't been born and that would be a major problem!) with the idea that everyone should have kids, when actually some of us are quite happy as we are.
Old 26th May 2018, 12:07

I don't like the idea of having kids at all. But every so often I do think, later on in life, about adopting. Might just be my weakness for wanting to rescue things, but yeah a pair of siblings that had never had any love, to give them a home would be pretty nice. I wouldn't be increasing the amount of people on this planet but i'd be saving and helping some kids that need it. As long as they were over 5/6! But then I think ''nah god help me no way''
Old 20th September 2018, 14:39

Like most people, my answer is "yes and no". I'm 41 and always kind of assumed I'd end up with kids, but it seems unlikely now. Plus, my sister has decided not to have them, so I won't even have a niece or nephew.

Reasons it Bothers Me

1) Having kids gives your life meaning and purpose. It gets you out of bed in the morning. And it's something you can share with others. Not having them makes me feel a bit odd and outcast (nothing new there).
2) You'll never be alone. No matter what happens, you'll always have your kids. Even if they emigrate, there is still someone in the world connected to you, someone who cares whether you live or die.
3) Wonderful to be part of a loving family. The happiest people I know have young children. It must be wonderful to be at the heart of a loving family.
4) Someone who will be there for you when you are old, ill, vulnerable and frightened. This is the probably the main reason people have kids. The thought of being 82, frail and battling cancer alone is scary. Children hold your hand, take you to the hospital, visit you, keep you company, etc.

Up Side to Not Having Kids

1) Life has its good moments but it's mostly pain and struggle, especially if you are sensitive, prone to depression, introverted, etc. As someone once joked "life is something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy". Bringing a child into the world is a selfish thing; no matter what you do they are going to suffer ***8211; a lot. At the bare minimum they will have to watch people they love die and then face old age, cancer and death themselves. On top of that they will have to go through puberty, first day at school, bad relationships, loneliness, sh*t jobs working with assh*les for a mediocre wage, ageing, illness, and so on. And there are so many ****ing horrible, evil people in this world. I always wanted a daughter, but the thought of then watching her leave for university/ go travelling, etc, knowing what the world is like, terrifies me. I've known at least six women who were raped or sexually abused, and I've known of several who were drugged at parties or clubs, etc, and woke up in a park or backstreet with no memory of what happened. I once had a girlfriend who was raped when she was 20. I'll never forget her saying "the worst part was seeing what it did to my family ***8211; it destroyed them."
2) They would inherit some of my awful personality: melancholic, introverted, anxious, avoidant, sensitive. This world isn't for the sensitive dreamers. The people who succeed are shallow, hard, insensitive, mouthy, assertive, arrogant and confident.
3) The noise, the bad smells, the mess, the money.
4) Children are never what you think they will be. People dream of these nice, polite, mini-adults they can chat to about books and films etc. But children may not share any of your interests. You might not even like them! All teenagers want is for you to leave them alone.
5) It's a hell of a risk. What if the child is autistic, schizophrenic, has Downs Syndrome or is brain damaged at birth? What if they become addicts? What if they marry someone you hate? Someone who beats them up? Someone who cheats on them? What if they get hit by a car and end up in a wheelchair? Or kill themselves? Or are badly bullied? Or get cancer? Or are blinded in an accident at school? The list of s**t that could happen is endless.

In the past, people had children in their 20s, then tried to make it to 70ish so the kids would look after them in their final years. But the world is a different place now. We live in the information age and have more control over our health than ever before. Any reasonably intelligent person can now find out endless information on anything that goes wrong with their body. Also, there may be breakthroughs in regenerative medicine that massively extend the lifespan. There are already pills that slow down the ageing process. I take obsessive care of my body because I know there will be no one there for me if I get ill. If I can make it to 83, that will be 2060. By 2060, we should have far better medicine than we do now. In fact, by 2060 the lifespan may be pushed to 130, 150 or even higher.

Also, not having kids does give you lots of freedom. You can practise yoga, meditate, experiment with psychedelics, pursue some kind of artistic outlet, enjoy your sex life etc. I don't really need to be part of the local 'community' (kid's birthday parties, the school run, taking them to football club, ballet etc). My happiness comes from art galleries, museums and books. Not having kids enables you to be more choosy about who you socialize with. Plus, of course, you can work on your relationship. Any therapist will tell you that kids ruin countless marriages.
Old 20th September 2018, 15:59

Quote:
I'm convinced a lot of parents just say it's a blessing or whatever because they want you to be as miserable as they are
So true. If you want to experience pure hatred, tell a young mother, whose toddler is throwing a tantrum, that you don't have children and don't regret it. Add that you've got plenty of money, a good sex life, a strong marriage and a firm body and she'll probably attack you! According to research, most people find having kids even harder than they'd expected. And they constantly want reassurance that they haven't made a terrible mistake. I'm convinced there is a sort of conspiracy of silence around having kids. Jack Dee once said that when he didn't have kids, other couples would constantly tell him and his wife that it was amazing, that they were missing out, etc. Then, once he'd got them, those same friends came round with a smug look on their faces and said "It's fu**ing hard isn't it!"

Also, it never ends. People make out that "oh well, it's tough until they go to school then everything is hunky dory". Maybe. But maybe the teenage years will be even worse. Maybe they'll get into drugs, get pregnant, self-harm, or just become surly, lazy and rude.
Old 20th September 2018, 17:33

Mood
Cynical

^ I think that very often the expectations of having children don't match up to the reality and the more honest about this everyone is the better things will be.
Old 20th September 2018, 17:46
Banned

A lot of parents say it's a blessing because they just don't want to admit how hard it is and also cos in today's world it's very un-pc to say that having kids has ruined your life , or that you especially women, regret having them.
I saw the Victoria Derbyshire program a while back and she showed a film of women that said they regretted having their kids, they were anonymous. I say good on them for being honest , but did feel a bit sorry for them.
Old 20th September 2018, 17:53
Banned

Even in some child free groups , you still get people who call you the devil when you rant about how annoying kids are . Christ, get out and and go on mumsnet instead!
Old 20th September 2018, 20:50

I would only have 1 kid if it became a possibility but even that would be a lot down to my odd goal of keeping my family's name alive.
My brother hasn't even had a lay in for 5 years since he had his 1st kid. Seems like a nightmare dealing with screaming every single evening when the kids get tired. Sure, you get moments of joy when they achieve those little goals but **** me it's a lot of work. I only see my niece and nephew once a month or so but a few hours is usually enough.
Old 20th September 2018, 23:03

Mood
Blah

My own problem is that in the last few years I***8217;ve finally managed to get myself financially stable to the point where I can carve out a pretty decent social life. I regularly attend meetups with several different groups, have weekends away with friends going to Sports events, Festivals etc and at least 2 holidays abroad every year. After years of struggling to get into this position I would be very loathe writing off the next 20 years of my life by having kids. Plus I like people telling me I look younger than I actually am and I bet the stress of parenthood would put paid to that. Not much incentive to go down that route really.
Old 21st September 2018, 19:42
Banned

^^^ crotch goblins
That made me laugh
Old 22nd September 2018, 13:25
Banned at own request

Mood
Doh

No it doesn't bother me, but it seems to bother the media.

Almost every week there seems to be an article on freezing your eggs and how everyone should rush to have a baby before they're 40.

To which I say:

1. I thought that the birth rate had gone up for the last 10 years or so and there was no space for the people we have in this country, let alone any more.

2. I don't think that we're about to run out of people if I don't have a baby.
Old 29th September 2018, 01:25

Mood
Procrastinating

I***8217;m a very hateful person and I feel I wouldve hated any kids I might have had so I guess its a good job I will never have kids!
Old 30th September 2018, 19:31

Mood
Insomnious

Not having kids is probably one of the smartest decisions I've made. I can barely take care of myself, so I have no desire to inflict misery on an innocent child.