SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 5th August 2009, 18:03

Mood
Scared

Default someone shoot me!

had a very bad moment at work today. if you've read this post you'll know that i work in an office of around 30 people and being the centre of attention is an unthinkable scenario for me...

today was somebody at work's birthday and we all gathered around the main open plan area while this person unwrapped a small gift. the gift was a rubber ball with their name on it. Somebody said 'Does it bounce?' and the birthday boy chucked it and i can confirm it did bounce... but right towards me. I caught it and froze instantly. I felt myself go bright red and didnt know what the hell to do with myself. I just stood there looking at the ball hoping someone would shoot me in the head to release the pressure. After a few seconds (which felt like hours) the attention was diverted and i put the ball on a desk and walked off, red faced and sweating like a bitch.

times like this make me not want to go to work tomorrow.

needless to say.. it will be my birthday in a few months and i too will have to go through this gift opening situation myself. *dread sets in*
Old 5th August 2009, 18:13

Mood
Scared

Default Re: someone shoot me!

I completely understand how you feel, I hate being in situations where everybody is looking at you and I never know what to say/do.
Old 5th August 2009, 20:37

Mood
Shoveit

At least you caught it!
Old 5th August 2009, 20:50

Mood
Scared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diluted
At least you caught it!
lol. i can't imagine what would have happened if i dropped it... i'd probably have jumped out the window and legged it, never to return!

Old 5th August 2009, 21:31

Heh, I dropped a fruit salad in the canteen yesterday. Fruit juice and chunks of fruit all across the floor in front of loads of people (it was lunchtime so quite crowded). I felt like one inch tall and couldn't stop apologising to the canteen staff. They were really nice though and told me to get another one without charge.

Although it feels like you're the centre of attention, you're not. Everyone other than you will have stopped thinking about you catching the ball about 1 minute tops after it happened. That's what I'm telling myself about the canteen too - I'm sure other people drop things, I'm not going to be eternally labelled as "Mr fruit salad dropper" or anything.
Old 5th August 2009, 21:58

Mood
Pensive

I'm sure no one thought anything of it TangoVictor - you'll be fine
Closed Thread