Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 21st July 2011, 20:23

Mood
Flirty

Default I hate interviews!

I've had like 10 interviews over the last few months and still no luck.

Was just wondering if anyone else has had this amount of interviews and still not found a job yet.
And did you eventually get a job after being rejected so many times?

Interested to hear from people in the same boat.
Old 21st July 2011, 21:23

Default Re: I hate interviews!

I've been looking for a job for a while and have had quite a few over the past six months. Still no offers. One seemed really promising after the second interview, but they just went completely silent and never contacted me at all.

The thing to remember is that you only need *one* company to say "yes" and you're in (provided you want the job), so keep plugging away at it. I have another one next Tuesday, so hopefully that goes better.
Old 21st July 2011, 21:39

Some people try to make it out that unemployed people are having a whale of a time, and I think it's possibly the worst experience I've had in my life. I got to the point where I was literally applying for tens of jobs a day, and I hardly even got any interviews. You just have to keep going, and eventually you get lucky.
Old 21st July 2011, 21:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelG
I've had like 10 interviews over the last few months and still no luck.

Was just wondering if anyone else has had this amount of interviews and still not found a job yet.
And did you eventually get a job after being rejected so many times?

Interested to hear from people in the same boat.
10 interviews is a lot! Well done.

Do you feel that you perform well at interviews? If not have you tried practicising them or reading up on good interview techniques?

Usually if people are doing loads of interviews but not getting past them you'd think it was the interview technique can could be improved, however considering the amount of competition there is at the moment it could just be a numbers game as AnathemA says - keep perservering! Be determined and you'll get there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnathemA
I have another one next Tuesday, so hopefully that goes better.
Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by becky1789
Some people try to make it out that unemployed people are having a whale of a time, and I think it's possibly the worst experience I've had in my life. I got to the point where I was literally applying for tens of jobs a day, and I hardly even got any interviews. You just have to keep going, and eventually you get lucky.
Yeah it ****ing sucks. I've been looking for about 5/6 months now and literally had zero interviews until this morning I got a call for one. Finally!
Old 21st July 2011, 22:02

Mood
Flirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_mamba
10 interviews is a lot! Well done.

Do you feel that you perform well at interviews? If not have you tried practicising them or reading up on good interview techniques?

Usually if people are doing loads of interviews but not getting past them you'd think it was the interview technique can could be improved, however considering the amount of competition there is at the moment it could just be a numbers game as AnathemA says - keep perservering! Be determined and you'll get there.

Yeah it ****ing sucks. I've been looking for about 5/6 months now and literally had zero interviews until this morning I got a call for one. Finally!
Old 21st July 2011, 22:05

Mood
Flirty

In some interviews I think yeh I think i did ok in that one and some i think yeh i did really well, then i get the odd few times where i know i just completely pissed it up. But the ones tht i have done well in I haven't got so im thinking what do i need to do to get the bloody job. But as u said there is so much competition now and when there interviewing like 6 people they are goin to be really fussy and i guess its about luck aswell.

I wonder if different areas are worse for gettin a job

Is it easier to get a job in London are they more laid back about who they employ and therefore aint so fussy?
I don't live in London and it jus seems that ther far too fussy in my area
Old 22nd July 2011, 02:12

Mood
Insomnious

Interviews are absolute hell.

Whatever happened to the concept of "humility" as a virtue? Nowadays, you go in for an interview and you're expected to "sell yourself". The thought of it makes me nauseous.
Old 22nd July 2011, 17:09

Mood
Spaced

I had 6 or 7 I think over about 6 months before I got an offer, you just gotta keep trying
Old 23rd July 2011, 13:55

Mood
Angelic

Think if it as a positive you have got to the interview stage, I send off dozens of applications each week and in one year zero interviews! So firstly the next interview you get 'think how fantastic you are' for actually getting to the interview stage, your application must stand out!! In terms of the actual interview, reflect on everything you do. Good luck and wishing so much luck!!
Old 25th July 2011, 15:53

Mood
Flirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicamary
Think if it as a positive you have got to the interview stage, I send off dozens of applications each week and in one year zero interviews! So firstly the next interview you get 'think how fantastic you are' for actually getting to the interview stage, your application must stand out!! In terms of the actual interview, reflect on everything you do. Good luck and wishing so much luck!!
thanks jessicamary! I'll try to remember that.
Old 25th July 2011, 17:00

Oh goody, an interview thread, this will allow me to rant
I had two interviews in the last fortnight. I'm in my 30s and I only ever had one 'in person' interview before in my life. So I guess I wasn't prepared for how it would be.
The first one was a 45 min written test followed by a 45 min interrogation in front of a panel of 4 people. After the first two questions it seriously crossed my mind to get up and walk out, I just could not answer the questions and I couldn't really handle the sheer tedious pointlessness of it all. Anyway got through it, somehow, with a bunch of sticky moments where my head just went blank.
The second interview was last week in another city. And this one was 1.5 hr I was like what the heck, this is a lifetime. I had to be toured around every nook and cranny of the building and then meet all the other staff - it was utterly painful. And then the questions. Yeah, more competency-based questions like 'can you give an example when you have been working in a team and something you have contributed has benefited the team' and other such bullshit. Even the questions bore me to tears. I felt like I needed a week's holiday by the time I left the interview - worn down and drained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover
Interviews are absolute hell.
Whatever happened to the concept of "humility" as a virtue? Nowadays, you go in for an interview and you're expected to "sell yourself". The thought of it makes me nauseous.
^ Yes, its this exactly. Surely my damn CV and my application form act to 'sell' me? I cannot do all this 'I'm so brilliant, you really need me to work for you' crap.

I can't do interviews either, I have no people skills, no eye contact, no charisma and furthermore the questions bore me, the monotony of the whole thing bores me. I will never sell myself well at an interview.
I didn't get offered the first job anyway (which is a big fat fail considering they had 12 vacancies ) and I haven't heard about the second one. But I'm gonna assume I failed that too. So basically, after one confirmed and one probable rejection, I have decided I am not cut out for interviews or for tedious office jobs. Decided to stay freelance, lol, where I can hide away at home. Life is a learning curve...

Sympathies to everyone enduring interview hell
Old 25th July 2011, 17:07

^Those interviews sound very extreme Dory! I remember one I had that lasted all day and involved group activities, presentations, tests, the lot. HORRIBLE! Thankfully those types are rare. And then some that were just like a 20 minute friendly chat. I liked those.

I got an interview finally! After 60 applications. I'll just blame the recession. heheh
Old 25th July 2011, 17:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_mamba
^Those interviews sound very extreme Dory! I remember one I had that lasted all day and involved group activities, presentations, tests, the lot. HORRIBLE! Thankfully those types are rare. And then some that were just like a 20 minute friendly chat. I liked those.

I got an interview finally! After 60 applications. I'll just blame the recession. heheh
Yeah the friendly chat interview was more what I was expecting! I guess times have changed and the interrogation-style is more common now maybe

Good luck with your interview bm
Old 25th July 2011, 18:32

Mood
Thinking

I had an interview recently. First one in about 3 years. I didn't get the job, despite having worked there before, which I thought would really go in my favour. It did knock me down a bit, not getting the job - but I also know that while nothing horrifically bad happened in the interview, it definitely wasn't a good one. I was probably too quiet, not confident enough, shy, oozing nerves - all the usual stuff.

I wish there was a way to practice, but nothing really prepares you for going into a room facing strangers and having them fire questions at you. Argh.
Old 25th July 2011, 20:15

^Get your friends to fire questions at you? :P
Old 25th July 2011, 21:01

Mood
Fine

Interviews are terrible. Getting to 10 is great, I don't think I've had many more than that in my entire working life (granted, I'm 24). In fact the other day I realized that all the jobs I've had (at least 8!), all of those jobs I actually got were through family/friends getting me an interview, and the others were the jobs "everyone" was hired into (eg. amusement park work, telemarketing, etc). I've had at least two epic fail interviews I can think of off the top of my head, including one group interview for a dinky retail gig in which I sat there quietly the whole time hoping to die. Usually my CV is thrown out during the sorting stages for whatever reason, I haven't had many interviews.

I just hate that I'm fully qualified for jobs I apply for yet my anxiety makes interviews so difficult and awkward, that the interviewer doesn't get a grasp on how capable I truly am. I wish they would stick to concrete requirements of the job instead of intentionally trying to intimidate or trip you up. Stupid questions like "what are your weaknesses" are just worthless. In fact if I were an interviewer I'd be inclined to hire the person who answered honestly (within reason) rather than saying "I'm a perfectionist."

I have an interview on Thursday - not even an interview, an "assessment centre" - I've never been through that. Already expecting to fail miserably
Old 25th July 2011, 21:54

Mood
Fine

You really really really can practise for interviews. A lot of it is preparing genuine answers to common questions.. and the more you do it the more you can answer other questions you haven't really prepared for but you're able to link it (politicians do this all the time in interviews, when they manage to turn the question they are asked to.

Also, some common problems are that people don't make the best out of the experiences they have and that they go to much into the detail rather than the big picture. When I say make the best I'm NOT saying to exaggerate. Just to actually spin / portray your experience in the best light. Too many people don't do this and try to be modest but unfortunately for interviews in this country, its not ideal as they want you to come across as confident.
Old 26th July 2011, 14:36

Mood
Flirty

I've just been turned down again! I must have been unsuccessful in like 13 interviews now. The thing is I thought I did well in that interview and many others I've been to I feel i did ok in. I just don't get why they are not giving me the job. Ive had 1 second interview and still didnt get it.
What the F**K have i got to do eh?? I have got the right experience
I'm starting to think that I am not the right colour for them, as I am in Suffolk and the jobs I'm gettin interviewed for are not shitty jobs and plus 99% of the time they are all white in the workplace.

I feel I'm gonna have to take something to get me on a high and relax me a bit more as sometimes i am real nervous and maybe this shows.
I might have to have a drink or two before hand.
Old 26th July 2011, 14:50

^ Sorry to hear, that's a pretty tough run.
For what its worth, jobs seem extraordinarily competitive at the moment, and many employers probably already have in mind who they want for a job (people they know) and are just going through the motions. So it might not be anything to do with you at all. It does suck though, its not as if going to interviews is any fun Keep trying...
Old 26th July 2011, 20:09

Interview went well. Job seems a good fit. Trouble is, the prospect of actually getting an offer is quite terrifying. In a couple of days time, am I going to have to tell my boss I'm leaving and watch him have a breakdown (this may actually happen)? Am I going to have to tell my mum that I'm attempting to move out again? Urk.

Still, too early to count chickens yet.
Old 26th July 2011, 21:02

Mood
Fine

Where would the potential job be based?
Old 26th July 2011, 21:26
Banned

Mood
Happy

Interviews just seem hit an miss with me, when i don't bother too much in the interview i've ended up getting a job offer but when i really want the specific job that i'm being interviewed for i don't get it. i've turned up to a job interview before wearing my earing, by beanie hat, jeans and trainers, whilst the other 4 candidates in the waiting room were all smartly dressed but for some reason i got offered the job, i suspect the woman interviewing me had a thing for me which is understandable, especially when i was about 4 years younger than i am now.
Old 26th July 2011, 21:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimistic
Where would the potential job be based?
London. Hence the need to move closer if I took the job, because commuting from where I am would be an out and out nightmare. (We have slow trains. Very slow trains.)
Old 27th July 2011, 11:14

I have been given "a verbal offer" (for the job, you sickos). May have to wait a day or two for the paperwork to come through.
Old 27th July 2011, 11:38

Wow well done AnathemA!! Telling your current boss you're moving on is one of the most terrifying things I've ever had to do so I don't envy you. At the same time you just got a job so I do envy you.

I'm kidding, well done. Are you gonna accept?
Old 27th July 2011, 12:11

Looking like it, provided I don't find a way to chicken out.

I have had to tell a boss I'm moving on before, but I was less experienced and on a much larger team, so it wasn't nearly as damaging for them and it would have been much easier to find a replacement.
Old 27th July 2011, 12:17

Mood
Insomnious

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnathemA
I have been given "a verbal offer" (for the job, you sickos). May have to wait a day or two for the paperwork to come through.
Congratulations!
Old 27th July 2011, 12:20

Mood
Sweettooth

Well Done & Congratulations,
Old 27th July 2011, 12:21

Mood
Insomnious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dory
I can't do interviews either, I have no people skills, no eye contact, no charisma and furthermore the questions bore me, the monotony of the whole thing bores me. I will never sell myself well at an interview.
The story of my life.

And in addition, at interviews I feel like I'm being treated as a piece of meat, a commodity, a tool. It's all very depressing.
Old 27th July 2011, 16:35

Mood
Flirty

Has anyone ever had an interview from hell?

I've had a few in the past where I acutally lost it with the interviewer cause i thought she was being rude so i was rude back and I walked out.

Then i had one where I was interogatted bout my bloody CV and felt awkward throughout.

Then I had one recently where I I just felt totally uncomfortable I dunno what it was. I just couldn't answer the questions proper just wanted to get out of there. I didnt feel like the interviewer was very friendly we both just felt really really uncomfortable.

The b*****ds! If I saw that fat f*cker again I'd run her over!