SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Issues and Conditions
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 3rd June 2017, 20:31

Mood
Fine

Smile Paul Gilbert compassion video.

Hi all

I went to an interview on Friday for a week's temp work and there were also two other people going for the interview. As I'm sure a lot of you can relate to, I don't like interviews or feel that I function well in them, but I got the temp work so well done me.

I think what really helped is the day before I was watching
The Paul Gilbert compassion video seminar as recommended by a counsellor. It explains that through evolution we are programmed to speak to ourselves internally in a very harsh voice because of external threats eg. the possibility of being eaten by wild animals etc. We now don't have to deal with these threats in a modern society but it is hard wired into our brains to speak to ourselves in that way but that in turn causes us to feel more stress.

I'm not saying it will be a miracle cure but please watch the seminar if you want and decide if you want to give it a go, as it definitely helped me deal with the interview and when just being out and about. I've attached a link to the seminar below and another link with a five minute animation showing how the internal tone of voice we speak to ourselves in can influence our stress level.

Since yesterday I've been going out of my way to speak to my self internally in a kind tone of voice as I would do with some I really cared about or someone I was really pleased to see and spend time with.

You might feel a bit silly doing it but I think it might help you a bit. It has definitely helped me feel a bit calmer and if it doesn't at least you gave it a try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2skAMI8c-4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRqI4lxuXAw

Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Eleanor