SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 7th March 2009, 09:18

Mood
Happy

Default Being thrown / throwing yourself in the deep end.

In an hour I'm going out shopping with a friend I've known off the internet for years but only met once before. I absolutely hate going shopping because I can't bring myself to go up to the actuall counter to pay for my stuff, and I'm going to be doing this with a girl I hardly know in person. If I ask her to go up for my stuff for me, like I do with my other friends, she's going to think I'm a complete freak.
Last time we did this, her and her boyfriend (my ex) arrived late, then completely forgot about me. So I had to go shopping by myself for a few hours in a big town, which I've never done befoe.

For me, this is throwing myself into the deep end. That is, once I'm there I can't go back, I have nobody to support me, nowhere to run! XD;

I'm really quite worried, and I have a couple of cans right by me and I think I might just drink them all before I go out.

But I don't want to make this post all about meee! Do you ever throw yourself into the deep end, or do you others throw you in? How do you guys manage when you find yourself 'thrown into the deep end' ? Do you sink? Swim? Doggy-paddle? How are you enjoying my metaphor?

I personally doggy-paddle, by the way.
Old 7th March 2009, 09:29

Mood
Cloud_9

Default Re: Being thrown / throwing yourself in the deep end.

It can be good and bad, throwing yourself in the deep end in the right way is good, if you do it in the bad way then it' s bad. I think it's all about what your thinking, or what your inner self-talk is saying.

If I was pushed into the deepend my initial reaction would be to panic, il start shaking, move quickly, lack concentration, etc.

I think it's beneficial to question your thought's before they become anxiety. Taking a minute to relax, you could say you yourself "I'v done this before so MAYBE this time it wont be so bad"

Notice the word maybe, your not using negative thinking, your not using positive thinking either, you are going neutral with your thoughts. This is a rational statement to make to your brain, you realise you've struggled in the past but maybe, just maybe things will be ok.

And if they aren't, it's no big deal, maybe next time it will be ok
Old 7th March 2009, 13:31

Mood
Torn

yes, i do this, sometimes have it done for me......i've had both good and bad experiences...i'm still learning to manage it, like a super power perhaps - experimenting and knowing when it would be a good idea to throw myself in and when it would be better to turn around and stay on dry land (yup, loving the metaphor )
Old 7th March 2009, 13:36

Mood
Predatory

I love getting thrown in the deep end by other people, because I can't do it myself. I want to do it myself but I think about it way to much before hand. But when someone else suddenly does it you don't expect it and have no time to worry before hand. Then I always act 'normal' because I don't want people thinking I am weird/nervous.
I almost always enjoy it.

Some of the best experiences in my life were when I was thrown into the deep end.
Old 7th March 2009, 13:47
Banned (at own request)

Mood
Innocent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glas Eo An Oabl
Do you ever throw yourself into the deep end, or do you others throw you in? How do you guys manage when you find yourself 'thrown into the deep end' ? Do you sink? Swim? Doggy-paddle?

I have always thrown myself in the deep(ish) end but usually get tired from all the damn swimming and claw my way back to safety.

Besides life always ends up turning on the wave machine so i nearly end up drowning anyway.
Old 8th March 2009, 21:59

Mood
Asleep

usually sink or doggy paddle cos i just don't know what the hell i'm doing!
or if i think i know what i should do or say, i just can't get it to happen.
i still think getting in there's a good thing to do though.
congrats on getting through your experience without sinking! if you managed to stick it out for two hours without spending them locked in a toilet then i reckon that's not sinking.

oh, how did it go? did you drink beforehand?
Old 8th March 2009, 22:55

Mood
Happy

^ Thanks, mooks :'D

It was okay! I did drink a bit but I figured I didn't want to stink of beer XD
It was kinda awkward really cause we were both self conscious of the way we look (I have a low self-esteem and she has a really bad allergy which made her face all red and peely, bless her.)
Old 8th March 2009, 23:13
Banned (at own request)

Mood
Cheerful

I think this is where it pays to be a bit impulsive. For the past year (and especially the past 2 weeks) I've been throwing myself into the deep end. There's always the worry that the further you push yourself in the further you may fall, but that's the anxiety talking. It can be an enormous motivational boost and can really help with your SA if whatever happens as an outcome, you DON'T FOCUS ON THE NEGATIVES.

The feeling of adrenalin simply by signing yourself away to an event with strangers followed by the feeling of motivation is incredible. It really does work if you remain optomistic. That's the hard part, and I have fallen before because I gave in to the overwhelming temptation to beat myself up over something. But throwing myself in the deep end is seriously and by far the most powerful way of overcoming SA I've ever experienced. Of course you'll feel akward and anxious during the event. It's the process of doing something and seeing the good in what you did that counts. You could get home and think 'this may have gone to shit, but at least I had the balls to go out and do it', and your mind will agree with that, because it's true. Go for it!
Old 8th March 2009, 23:24

Cool Re: Being thrown / throwing yourself in the deep end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon1989
Taking a minute to relax, you could say you yourself "I'v done this before so MAYBE this time it wont be so bad"

Notice the word maybe, your not using negative thinking, your not using positive thinking either, you are going neutral with your thoughts. This is a rational statement to make to your brain, you realise you've struggled in the past but maybe, just maybe things will be ok.

And if they aren't, it's no big deal, maybe next time it will be ok
I never thought of it that way. I never realised that the word MAYBE could be so powerful.
Closed Thread