SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 22nd March 2009, 01:42

Mood
Chatty

Default The Re-occuring post-apocalyptic fantasy

This is a very strange feature of my life, and I think it ties into SA somewhat, maybe.

Since I was like 10, I would have re-occuring dreams about a post apocalyptic world of some description where I was the only human left alive. wandering the empty streets, it felt good, it felt safe.
I kinda wrapped myself in this fantasy, every night I would put myself into that world for an hour or so mapping out all the intricate details of how I would survive, before I would even fall asleep.
15 years later I still do it, I look forward all day to going to bed because then I can lie in bed and take myself to that empty world again.
I read somewhere that 'investment in fixed fantasies' is a trait of some kinda personality disorder, and it has started leaking over into my waking world, every time I sit down for five minutes, I find myself going back to that world, and everything is acted out perfectly, every step, sometimes I even find myself saying things out loud.

Or it could be a general manifestation of my deep and abiding hatred for all humankind? hmmm

does anyone else have fixed dream worlds or fantasies that they have kept returning to over the years?
Old 22nd March 2009, 02:34

Mood
Torn

Default Re: The Re-occuring post-apocalyptic fantasy

nothing as fixed as that, but yes, my dream world - even if they're bad dreams, i create very intricate worlds in my dreams and it's awesome, i look forward to going into them and feel disappointed when i don't have one that's vivid enough to hang onto during the day

I had a dream about the apocalypse once or twice, but not the world after, just it happening. I guess it's not such a bad thing, as long as it doesn't take over....*ponders*
Old 22nd March 2009, 18:13

cool man, but how exactly would you survive in a post-apocalyptic deserted future?
Old 22nd March 2009, 18:21

I think that's pretty cool! I had an extremely vivid dream when I was a teenager where I was in an abandoned post apocalyptic city and it was fantastic and I always wanted to recapture that dream. I can only remember one image from that dream now but I can totally remember the emotion I felt in it. The positive emotions I can feel in dreams are more powerful than any I experience in day to day life.

I think dreams are more powerful than we sometimes give them credit for. I had a vivid dream a couple of months ago which has affected my thought processes and day to day life ever since. It's not so much the environment you experience in a dream that affects you but the emotions that can feel so very real and can actually move over from your dreams into your day to day life.
Old 22nd March 2009, 20:30

Mood
Notamused

I have had times when I think of similar fantasies of aloneness, be it post-apocalyptic or some outer space ones. It can be an inviting daydream/dream when you’ve had enough of other people’s crap – a fantasy place to retreat to. In the real world I’m sure it wouldn’t be quite as pleasurable but as a higher form of get away from it all escapism it’s not bad.

Just watched the movie The Quiet Earth (1985) which was very good. I think I may just end up just as nutty...

Old 23rd March 2009, 00:19

Mood
Chatty

OMG I LOVE the quiet earth! one of my fave films of all time.
Old 23rd March 2009, 00:36

Mood
Notamused

Quote:
Originally Posted by wd40mk2
OMG I LOVE the quiet earth! one of my fave films of all time.
Yeah it is rather brilliant. I was being coy when I wrote very good - I don't know why I do that. The Quiet Earth is one of those many underrated movies IMO.
Old 23rd March 2009, 01:03

Mood
Confused

Quote:
This is a very strange feature of my life, and I think it ties into SA somewhat, maybe.

Since I was like 10, I would have re-occuring dreams about a post apocalyptic world of some description where I was the only human left alive. wandering the empty streets, it felt good, it felt safe.
I kinda wrapped myself in this fantasy, every night I would put myself into that world for an hour or so mapping out all the intricate details of how I would survive, before I would even fall asleep.
15 years later I still do it, I look forward all day to going to bed because then I can lie in bed and take myself to that empty world again.
I read somewhere that 'investment in fixed fantasies' is a trait of some kinda personality disorder, and it has started leaking over into my waking world, every time I sit down for five minutes, I find myself going back to that world, and everything is acted out perfectly, every step, sometimes I even find myself saying things out loud.

Or it could be a general manifestation of my deep and abiding hatred for all humankind? hmmm

does anyone else have fixed dream worlds or fantasies that they have kept returning to over the years?

sounds pretty cool!

and some kind of release from everyday life, I might give it a try
Old 23rd March 2009, 17:42

Mood
Shoveit

Quote:
Yep, had similar feelings for most of my life too (but only since SA kicked in during my teens). It's probably why I love zombie and 'end of the world' films so much

The fantasy is that there would be so much crap hitting the fan that I'd finally lose all my inhibitions just because there wouldn't be any place for them anymore, if that makes sense. If everyone was fighting for survival there wouldn't be time to worry about how you looked or acted. So illogical when you consider how dangerous and horrid the world would be but I don't tend to fantasize that far ahead :rolleyes:
Closed Thread