SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 5th March 2009, 19:22

Default Not sure if I have Social Anxiety

Hi guys/gals,

When I read descriptions/symtoms of Social Anxiety they are normally associated with nervousness/fear/avoidance in anticipation of social situations. I don't get this, as I am put in social situations on a daily basis. I do have depression though which can reduce my activity.

The reason why I think I have SA is the fact that I am just unable to connect with people - I can have conversations with people and see a colleague every day but I always feel like I'm on first base, like it never really turns into a genuine friendship, its almost as if when I meet them it feels like it's the for the first time every time, and it just feel awkward. Sometimes my brain freezes up and I have no idea what to say and if I do say something it's socially wrong. I crave positive relationships but I just can't to do it.

So is it possible to have SA without having physical symtons? Or is it just a case of low-self esteem and my depression making me feel awkward in these scenarios?
Old 5th March 2009, 21:12

Mood
Torn

Default Re: Not sure if I have Social Anxiety

hey TheDonn - it's difficult to say - in my opinion the classifications like SA, depression or whatever are just there for a loose classification in order to get help or find those to feel at home with, who understand what you're going through...i think there are some things that cross over into a few different categories. But whatever it is, it sounds like a tough place to be for you. I can associate a little - for me it's either i make a very close, intense bond with someone (and that has its own drawbacks and is very limiting) or i have what you're saying. It sounds like a type of autism perhaps and apparently we're all on the autistic scale - it could be just that you don't easily fit into this 'mould' that a lot of people seem to find easy that allows them to be friendly with people, feel close - for me i dont feel that closeness at the same level as other people seem to...it's complicated!! The depression issues certainly don't help you to feel part of things/connected to people, they dont for me anyway.

I'd love to ponder this one further with you but i fear i'd just be entering waffle mode

take care
x
Old 5th March 2009, 21:59

Mood
Predatory

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDonn
Hi guys/gals,

When I read descriptions/symtoms of Social Anxiety they are normally associated with nervousness/fear/avoidance in anticipation of social situations. I don't get this, as I am put in social situations on a daily basis. I do have depression though which can reduce my activity.

The reason why I think I have SA is the fact that I am just unable to connect with people - I can have conversations with people and see a colleague every day but I always feel like I'm on first base, like it never really turns into a genuine friendship, its almost as if when I meet them it feels like it's the for the first time every time, and it just feel awkward. Sometimes my brain freezes up and I have no idea what to say and if I do say something it's socially wrong. I crave positive relationships but I just can't to do it.

So is it possible to have SA without having physical symtons? Or is it just a case of low-self esteem and my depression making me feel awkward in these scenarios?
You may have sa I am not sure. but I have SA and I don't really avoid many situations and go out. Without having any/much anticipatory anxiety.

But if i had to go to a party where I didn't know anyone then I would fear and possible avoid that situation.

I also find it quite hard to connect with people further than casual chat.

Are you generally a quiet person?
Old 5th March 2009, 22:11

Mood
Amused

Have you tried this test?

http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/disorder/liebowitz/

Not that that would give you a diagnosis - whether you technically have SA or not - if this feels like a comfortable place to post - then you are welcome!

I personally feel that my SA was really linked to low self esteem and SA often causes depression - it's the medical profession that like to classify everything - you are you at the end of the day! And you have the right to have as good a life as you can manage!

Old 5th March 2009, 23:04

I think people can spend too much time trying to define what they feel is wrong with them. I wouldn't say I have SA per se, I'd say I'm shy, but I'm totally avoidant and lacking in confidence in certain ways. I think that all people suffer with any number of problems or illnesses but that its near impossible to state categorically where one person has a condition and the next does not.

The important thing is to focus on what you think is specifically wrong and to try and formulate ways to overcome those problems. In my case I have some negative thought patterns, can be obsessive and have a tendency to always presume the worst. Combined with my avoidance of people and my shyness these are my big problems. Having said this I believe there are certain things about ourselves that we can't change and just have to accept.
Old 5th March 2009, 23:42

Mood
Balanced

Smile Re: Not sure if I have Social Anxiety

thanks Softlyspoken for posting the link to the SA test this is really useful
Old 5th March 2009, 23:43

Mood
Doubtful

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftlySpoken1
Have you tried this test?

http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/disorder/liebowitz/

Not that that would give you a diagnosis - whether you technically have SA or not - if this feels like a comfortable place to post - then you are welcome!

I personally feel that my SA was really linked to low self esteem and SA often causes depression - it's the medical profession that like to classify everything - you are you at the end of the day! And you have the right to have as good a life as you can manage!

Your score:
23(fear) + 25(avoidance) = 48
You do not suffer from social anxiety.

The scoring scale:
55-65 Moderate social phobia
65-80 Marked social phobia
80-95 Severe social phobia
Greater than 95 - Very severe social phobia

Wheres mild ?!? Thats me!

Stupid online tests lol
Old 6th March 2009, 10:57

Well an online test is a guide, yes, but although I haven't looked at all the questions the problem could surely be that although we do percieve that we have problems we're also so used to them to an extent, and so even on a good day someone with SA may think their fear level is really low but if you actually compared it to a "normal" person then it could still be quite high... do you see what I mean?

At the moment I feel as if I'm interacting well with people socially but that's on my scale, other people may still think I was too intimidated! Hmm! this is why rating yourself can be quite difficult! Just my opinion :D
Old 6th March 2009, 18:51

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies, some interesting reads in this thread. I have come to the conclusion that mental health issues are far to complicated to be worth speculating over and over by myself - I have different theories to why I'm 'weird' just about every week.

I think I will go to see a psychologist and see what they think.

Cheers
Mat
Closed Thread