SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 10th March 2009, 13:30

Mood
Worried

Default medical time

The time has arrived again for a medical, this will be my third, I won the second only after appealing and the help of the CAB, so It's pretty much guaranteed I will fail this one next week also. I don't take any medication as Ive been on dozens over the years and none have helped, so I made the decision to stop taking pills, my only help is alcohol. I'm very self conscious and aware of people around me all the time alcohol just makes them a blur and its a fantastic feeling. I have a huge problem with blushing, It only take someone to glance at me and I go bright red, I hate myself so much when this happens. I avoid being in groups at all costs, If I have no choice then I make sure Ive got plenty of alcohol inside me, this helps alot. I desperately need to pass this medical as I will not being going onto Job Seekers Allowance, Ive been on this in the past and simply cant cope with being forced to go for interviews, having to sign on regularly and being sent on courses etc. I'd rather have no benefits. What makes me angry is if the doctors at these medicals suffered from SA they wouldn't be able to do their job, I wish I had the courage to tell them this. I desperately want a job but the thought of an interview/having to meet lots of new people just makes me fell sick. Ive had so many jobs over the years that have lasted just one day due to me not being able to cope with being around other people for long periods. Getting a job seems a million miles away.

Anyway, a few questions.

Has anyone with SA passed a medical without having to appeal ?
Do you think not taking medication will go against me ?
Any hints/tips on passing it ? ( I honestly feel I have to lie to the doctor to have any chance of passing, which I really don't want to do )

Thanks
Old 10th March 2009, 14:37

Mood
Amused

Default Re: medical time

I would just be truthful - I don't fully understand how you can pass or fail? Will they take away benefits if you fail? If you are honest about how you feel - they might be able to get you some help. Good Luck anyway!
Old 10th March 2009, 14:42

get someone to go with you...preferably a parent or other relative...someone who really knows how you are affected on a daily basis by SA. they can help to answer the doctors questions if you feel you are unable to. good luck..they arent pleasant experiences are they...take care
Old 10th March 2009, 18:32

Mood
Worried

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftlySpoken1
I would just be truthful - I don't fully understand how you can pass or fail? Will they take away benefits if you fail? If you are honest about how you feel - they might be able to get you some help. Good Luck anyway!
They don't take away benefits but I wouldn't be entitled to incapacity anymore if they decide I am seen as fit to work, then they would probably move me onto move to Job Seekers Allowance which is a nightmare for someone with SA.
Old 10th March 2009, 22:03

Mood
Pensive

If you're happy with your existing situation and don't want to come off benefits then why don't you exaggerate your condition a little bit? Tell them how hard everything is for you and that you would put yourself and others at risk if they signed you off as fit for work. Don't wash or shave before you go and even go there with your clothes inside out or back to front and carrying a teddybear if you're able/have to!
Old 11th March 2009, 22:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian2
Has anyone with SA passed a medical without having to appeal ?
Do you think not taking medication will go against me ?
Any hints/tips on passing it ? ( I honestly feel I have to lie to the doctor to have any chance of passing, which I really don't want to do )
I passed the medical by not attending it, I won my appeal in the absence of medical evidence.

No taking medication will go against you, they will seek standard advise regarding medicines to use against you. They will also want to know that you are retrieving some sort of treatment in order to be able to return to work. Even just taking antidepressants wouldn't be enough for the medication to go in your favour anyway.

My sympathies for your situation, I really dislike the DWP but I guess they have a difficult job to do, and deserving people are gonna get shafted. They want 1 million off incapacity benefit...

I've been taking part in group workshops at Work Directions and also trying to go on meets in order to better cope with the SA although I also have other issues too. I've been applying for some volunteer work as well, which may be helpful for you to consider.

Try and do something proactive!

Best of luck with everything!!!
Old 16th March 2009, 14:28

Mood
Worried

Thanks Elusive, I am now back on medication again (seroxat) and have been referred to see a psychologist & psychiatrist, been on the pills a few days and feel constantly nauseous and have no appetite I had been doing voluntary work for about 6 months but stopped in January.
Old 16th March 2009, 22:54

I hope everything goes well for you and you pass the medical & stay on incapacity benefit.

Stress like this you don't need when you have SA.

I hate having to explain myself.

I guess I'll be in a similar situation to you again before long, I dread that medical.

Good luck with everything!
Old 16th March 2009, 23:03

I was given some advice once by a CPN to answer their questions as if you were having your worst day ever, and how you would be feeling/behaving then

Good luck
Closed Thread