SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 21st March 2009, 18:27

Mood
Sluggish

Default Nervous grinning

Nervous grinning. Why do I do this? Its sooo irritating.
When I want to be serious I can't because I've got this massive grin on my face.

This isn't the same as nervous laughter but its similar.

Anybody else have the same problem?
Old 21st March 2009, 18:29

Mood
Cloud_9

Default Re: Nervous grinning

Yes :D
Old 21st March 2009, 19:40

Oh my god YES i've just started a course and i'm so blooming nervous being around the other peeps that i do this sorta grinny thing. I keep thinking shit what if peeps think i'm strange. I worry all the time that folks will think i'm too miserable so i try to look happy but happy when your nervous can look a wee bit dodgy can't it. Egzippit A >> After my course the other day one of the ladies said she passed me at the bus stop and saw me smiling and thought to herself 'she must be reliving her session' really it was that i was still all buzzed up with nervous adrenaline. Doh!
Old 21st March 2009, 21:27

I do this too, I burst out laughing when I'm trying to be serious with someone but, if someone is being really super serious with me, I sit there with my hand across my mouth as this horrible smirk starts to spread across my face and it doesn't matter if you try and tell the other person it's because your nervous, you're always going to make people want to punch you for doing it.
Old 22nd March 2009, 01:17

Mood
Fine

Whenever I have to talk about something personal I always start smiling/smirking, it is really annoying.
Old 22nd March 2009, 09:52

Mood
In-Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fructis
Whenever I have to talk about something personal I always start smiling/smirking, it is really annoying.
Yup i do this too,and lots of times it looks like youre heartless.I rememeber once my superviser at work confided in me and told me his mother had died.I feel so ashamed to say that i actually couldnt stop myself from smiling.I felt terrible for it,but of course i didnt find it funny one bit.Its awful to do things like that.
Old 22nd March 2009, 11:46
Banned at own request

Mood
Doh

I used to do this more than I do now, it used to be nervous grinning, nervous coughing and nervous laughing. Got me into trouble a fair few times but I honestly couldn't help it.
Old 22nd March 2009, 13:21

I think I do nervous grinning. When talking about personal stuff, I guess, in counselling when I know the implications of what I'm saying may look bad on me. But then I also do it at things that when talking about things that may suggest good things about me, where I feel like I'm boasting (which is bad, so perhaps it's all the same thing really.) Wow, that was put in a very long-winded way.

In fact an incident when I was 11 when I got told to 'stop smirking' had quite an effect on me and I suspect the 'smirking' was nervous grinning.

I do a lot of that sort of nervous laughing in counselling too. My counsellor says that the way I am behaving/my body language quite often doesn't seem to fit the content of what I'm saying. Its like I can't take myself seriously for fear of others not doing so?

I also did a lot of nervous laughing once when trying to explain to my tutor why I couldn't get on with my research. She said outrightly 'it's not funny, Likeme' (yeah that really is my name )
I can still cringe about it now if I think about it I expect. So I don't.

I really need to remember that other people didn't spend half their lives with me, in my room, talking to myself so they don't know it's usual for me to do that, like I do. I seem to expect people to accept my smiling/laughing as just normal or something, when I guess it's not really the norm.
Old 22nd March 2009, 13:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey33
That's just it! I talk to myself and laugh and smile and sing, and do all kind of things that other people might find a bit strange, my ex girlfriend though it was strange, but she put up with me for years. I sometimes giggle like crazy when shopping in a supermarket, people must wonder what on earth I'm laughing about.
Haha, we should meet mikey, we could make the world perplexed together!!

Seriously, though, good to know someone else is similar. I guess being in your own company for a long time, rather than with others, you don't come to realise how 'unusual' some of your behaviours are (at least in my case anyway )
Closed Thread