SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 27th March 2009, 20:44

Default Cringing over past events

I'm still haunted by the memories of things which happened long ago, which will pop into my head out of the blue. Even if these things were trivial, have been forgotten about by everyone else, I find myself still cringing, feeling acutely embarassed even blushing over something unimportant that happened decades ago.

Are there any techniques to overcoming this? It is seriously having a detrimental effect on my life.
Old 27th March 2009, 20:48

Mood
Predatory

Default Re: Cringing over past events

you could try some nlp techniques. Stuff like changing the music when you picture it etc really helps me.
Old 27th March 2009, 21:26

Mood
Pensive

I do this all the time, terribly destructive activity
I try to immediately distract myself from these thoughts as soon as they come up, and then look for something more useful I could be doing with all that mental energy. I remember reading about this kind of thing in CBT techniques but I can't remember the details, It does seem to have some positive effect, but it takes persistence.
Old 27th March 2009, 21:36

The recent story about propranolol helping with PTSD seems to suggest it might help with this sort of reinforcement of unhappy memories, e.g.

Quote:
But encouraging new research suggests that the beta-blocker drug propranolol, by inhibiting the release of certain stress-related hormones, may stop such unwanted memories from being reinforced in our brains...

graphic memories — frequently including flashbacks and nightmares — not only remain intense over time, but are self-perpetuating. Each time a sufferer relives the traumatic experiences, the amygdala re-releases stress hormones into the brain, and consequently reinforces already unwanted memories. But propranolol interferes with the amygdala’s receptors and "takes it off-line," Pitman says. "It blocks the consolidation of memory."
Old 27th March 2009, 22:03

this used to be a big problem for me as well.
when i was doing the Maudsley treatment trial, i was asked to participate in an additional seperate experiment that they were running concurrently with the main treatment. it was to do with (i think?) PTSD and traumatic memories.
the treatment ran over about 3 or 4 1 hour sessions, and is outlined here:

Rescripting Early Memories Linked to Negative Images in Social Phobia: A Pilot Study

basically it was about remembering, reliving, and reframing the traumatic experiences. the reframing part being the bit where you alter the memory's emotional resonance. (which may or may not be very similar to the technique that HAND is suggesting above).

the strange thing is - i don't remember much about the sessions. so i can't describe the technique in any detail. but on the plus side, neither am i plagued to anywhere near the same extent by the memories that were dealt with in the sessions. so all i can say is, for me the technique must have been in some way effective. perhaps more so than the main treatment itself.

it might be worth getting in touch with the clinic again and making enquiries as to whether they are running any further trials of this therapy that you could participate in, or whether it is otherwise available to you either via the NHS or privately.

good luck.
Old 27th March 2009, 22:27

Thanks a lot for your replies which have all been interesting an informative. I might have a go at that NLP technique HAND (not sure when I'll see you next). I think I have done this type of exercise before, but perhaps I'll be should be more consistent with it.
I'm not sure about going back to the Maudsleys, TB. Maybe I think that's a chapter in my life I have put behind me. In any case it would be quite a wait, and I want to crack on with solving this asap.
Old 27th March 2009, 22:38

I have this problem every now and again (although it doesn't affect my life hugely)... there's some interesting information in this thread, thanks everyone!
Old 27th March 2009, 23:52

Mood
Confused

Im exactly the same! I cringe at things I said, things which I didnt find embarrassing at the time but do now! and I feel terrible! I try and tell myself that they won't remember but it doesn't stop me from feeling this way.
Old 28th March 2009, 16:07

Mood
Happy

I get this every day. I just cringe and feel embarrassed and blush and wish I could just crawl away and hide for ever, over the tiniest, stupidest thing I've done ages ago. It's horrible, and it makes every single day hell D:
I'm gonna go and look at some of those links that you guys have kindly provided =)
Closed Thread