SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 12th February 2015, 14:58

Mood
Sad

Default Does SA Affect Your Bladder?

I find that my anxiety affects the amount of times I need to go to the toilet.

Anyone else have an over active bladder, or is forever going to toilet because of the anxiety?

Today for example I went shopping, and I had to use the toilet TWICE whilst we were going around.

I have had all the tests done which have proved negative, so basically the physical was totally ruled out, so it's down to the mental issues that is causing it.

Now, I have the added anxiety of wherever I go making sure there is a toilet nearby, and it's even worse when you are driving.

Is this common?
Old 12th February 2015, 15:53

Mood
Tired

Default Re: Does SA Affect Your Bladder?

I piss a lot, not sure if it has anything to do with anxiety though but I certainly wouldn't rule it out. It can be really annoying and frustrating and I frequently have to stop driving to pee at the side of the road or in peoples gardens when at work...I'm a gardener btw.

You also have the embarrassment of taking a ridiculous amount of trips to the loo when on evenings or days out with friends. When planning a day out you always worry about the toilet situation and in the past I've been reluctant to do things purely on the basis of being scared of pissing myself. So I feel your pain but I do my best to not let it affect me too much.

Recently they have started injecting botox into the bladders of people suffering from excitable bladders. It's something I think I'm going to seriously consider after maybe trying the medication route again for a while.
Old 12th February 2015, 16:13

Mood
Fine

Anxiety (in general) can cause someone to use the loo more often.

Its not likely to do a person any harm though, so its not really something worth worrying about.
Old 12th February 2015, 17:03

Mood
Pensive

I've been diagnosed with an overactive bladder for which I am prescribed tolterodine.
I also have microscopic haematuria as do 2 of my kids.

I can last for hours in the house but as soon as I go out I need to go a lot more so anxiety definitely makes it worse.
When we go shopping the kids go straight to the Wigan Warriors shop and wait for me there while I go for the first of many visits.
Old 12th February 2015, 17:11

Mood
Thinking

Hey there yes Im bad when it comes to using public loos because I feel im being watched so maybe dont go properly in the first place. I understand how stress can also affect bladder mechanisms etc
Old 12th February 2015, 17:48

Mood
Chatty

I've had a weak bladder for years. Its a pain in the arse if I'm thirsty and want to drink a lot, or when I'm out drinking pints, and yes I've also had all the tests done.

However, I find it can be helped by:

*Sticking to one drink at a time, and spacing them out, (no drinking one or two coffees in a row for example!)

*Drinking only caffeine free drinks.

I do think anxiety/stress in itself has a part to play as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalyfician
I find that my anxiety affects the amount of times I need to go to the toilet.

Anyone else have an over active bladder, or is forever going to toilet because of the anxiety?

Today for example I went shopping, and I had to use the toilet TWICE whilst we were going around.

I have had all the tests done which have proved negative, so basically the physical was totally ruled out, so it's down to the mental issues that is causing it.

Now, I have the added anxiety of wherever I go making sure there is a toilet nearby, and it's even worse when you are driving.

Is this common?
Old 16th February 2015, 08:36

Anxiety makes most people need the loo more. Before a dentist or doctors appointment I feel like I could pee nonstop. Knowing that I'm going to be like that and the fear of being caught short makes me more anxious too.

A long time ago before flying to the USA on my own I was soooo anxious and excited, that the airport was evacuated after I'd been to the loo because they thought there had been a chemical bomb attack. Ok so I'm exaggerating slightly, but only slightly. The loo cleaner was rushed to hospital though with an acute case of Sensoryoverloaditus.
Old 16th February 2015, 16:57

I also had tests done as one of my colleagues thought it might be diabetes, as it was one of the first symptoms she had before getting diagnosed. They found nothing wrong with me though, but after a while I started skipping my morning coffee and realised that I didn't need to pee so much. It is a diuretic but I didn't realise just how much it affected me, so now I make sure I don't have one before a car journey or if I know I'm going to be doing something where the loo isn't handy.
Old 19th February 2015, 21:24

Mood
Bored

Sort of - the thing I get is that if I ever see an "out of order" sign on a toilet I just start to need to, you know, go, and then that just starts a cycle of panic.

Same thing if I ever end up sitting in the middle of a row somewhere like the cinema, or a plane, or anywhere like that, that would involve loads of "sorry, scuse me, sorry, can I just get past, sorry, scuse me" in order to get to the loo I start getting really twitchy about not being able to just get up and go to the loo if I need.