SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 25th November 2016, 16:36

Default SA workshops

Has anyone ever heard of anything like this: a day (or however long) where, for instance, people who suffer from SA can attend and have sessions on how to manage, combat and work around various aspects of SA - as well as meet up with other like minded(-ish) people and other such jolly japes. Would people go to that, or does it sound like hell on earth? What would people want at such an event?
Old 25th November 2016, 16:55
Global Moderator

Mood
Scared

Default Re: SA workshops

I have often thought that some form of group therapy or workshop would be very beneficial to me and others.
I like the idea of everyone helping each other and sharing their own experiences, it would also double up as a form of social outlet for members, a bit like this forum but where the people are 'real' so to speak and also with some form of professional leadership (counsellor or cbt related)

I'm sure that some would find it a struggle to attend such a place but for me I would jumps at the chance.
Old 25th November 2016, 18:35

Mood
Bashful

Been to a few in Manchester. They're alright. Problem is everyone has SA so no one talks to each other lol.
Old 29th November 2016, 00:32

Mood
Worried

I got sent on a self confidence and assertiveness course a few years back by my manager. He sent a few of us on it. I rang in sick lol
Old 29th November 2016, 01:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1662
I have often thought that some form of group therapy or workshop would be very beneficial to me and others.
I like the idea of everyone helping each other and sharing their own experiences, it would also double up as a form of social outlet for members, a bit like this forum but where the people are 'real' so to speak and also with some form of professional leadership (counsellor or cbt related)

I'm sure that some would find it a struggle to attend such a place but for me I would jumps at the chance.
Yes exactly. The sort of thing I have in mind would be part social event to just meet folks in an easy environment, part working on the problems session.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishPeace
Been to a few in Manchester. They're alright. Problem is everyone has SA so no one talks to each other lol.
Indeed - that's the challenge to be overcome. In my mind the event would be geared to enabling people to interact in an easy, comfortable, enjoyable way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Dog
A few years ago there was a social anxiety event in London.

They had a day of workshops and speakers.

There's also this shyness clinic which might be of use:
http://www.shyclinic.com/initial-consultation/courses/
Thanks - looks interesting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieLu
I got sent on a self confidence and assertiveness course a few years back by my manager. He sent a few of us on it. I rang in sick lol
Can I ask - how come you rang in sick? What was going through your mind that made you do that (assuming you weren't actually ill hehe )
Old 29th November 2016, 09:13

Mood
Worried

Quote:
Originally Posted by umm

Can I ask - how come you rang in sick? What was going through your mind that made you do that (assuming you weren't actually ill hehe )
I panicked. Panic attacks and extreme anxiety are the reasons I cancel or back out of most things.