SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 1st February 2019, 18:13

Default Smear tests

There seems to be a lot in the news recently about smear test. On the bbc website is says that About three million women across England have not had a smear test for at least three-and-a-half years.

1) Do you avoid having one all together
2) Should you go but are too embarrassed to attend.
3) Would you have a test if you have limited or no sexual experience

Maybe answering these questions might help others.

Thank you

Newbs
Old 1st February 2019, 18:36

Default Re: Smear tests

I'm not embarrassed to have a smear test. I would always choose a female GP or nurse though, but they've seen it all before.

Whilst it may be easy for some women it's important to remember that some find smear tests uncomfortable or even downright painful so I can understand why some women are reluctant to go and have one. I don't find them pleasant at all and have to psyche myself up beforehand.

I wouldn't have a smear test done if I was a virgin but anyone who is sexually active should have a smear test every three years I think it is.
Old 1st February 2019, 20:15

Mood
Cynical

I've had them done before and I prefer to see a female nurse too. It's not the easiest thing but it is important. I'm not too embarrassed about having the actual procedure done I just have the normal levels of social anxiety I get with everything!
Old 1st February 2019, 20:31

Mood
Cynical

Also I really think they could come up with a better name than smear tests, it's really quite off-putting in itself!
Old 4th February 2019, 15:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbs16
There seems to be a lot in the news recently about smear test. On the bbc website is says that About three million women across England have not had a smear test for at least three-and-a-half years.

1) Do you avoid having one all together
2) Should you go but are too embarrassed to attend.
3) Would you have a test if you have limited or no sexual experience

Maybe answering these questions might help others.

Thank you

Newbs

I avoided having a smear test for years and years, infact I would throw the letter straight in the bin when it arrived I was so adamant that I would never go for one.

The main reason I did not attend was embarrassment. Although the GP has seen it all before if you are shy and inhibited that thought does not really make it feel any easier. After giving birth, a Nurse chuckled that having a smear test would seem like a walk in the Park but bizarrely this did not make a blind bit of difference. I still continued to avoid having a smear test because of feelings of embarrassment. I think a part of me also thought that if a Doctor started poking around they would eventually find something that should not be there. A ludicrous illogical way of thinking I know.

The only reason I ended up going for a smear test was because my husband was fearful that by ignoring such an important test if there was ever anything sinsiter lurking it wouldnt be discovered until it was too late to treat. Although I would not face my fear and embarrassment for myself I wanted to do it for a loved one if it gave them peace of mind.

On the day of the test I felt ill with anxiety but the kindly female Nurse immediately put me at my ease. It was quite obvious that she was doing smear tests all day long and had seen it all a thousand times over. The lower half of you is partly covered by a sheet so it was as dignified as such an invasive test can be. The test was mildly uncomfortable (probably because I was nervous and tense) but certainly not painful.

Although I know some women have had unpleasant and painful experiences it fortunately was not like that for me and nowhere near as bad as I had imagined. I would go back again for another one. It was such an enormous relief to receive the results confirming that nothing of concern had been found.

In answer to your question newbs, I do not think a woman who is a virgin would need to have a smear test but once she has a partner and they are sexually active then I would say it is very important to always go a long for that smear test. Dont just throw the reminder letter in the bin like I did for so many years!

Smear tests are not pleasant, but if they are able to detect cancerous cells early on and ultimately save lives then they are worth it.

Hope that helps newbs
Old 4th February 2019, 22:12

Mood
Insomnious

I loathe it. I also loathe the idea that as women we should be fine with or get used to something that is about as intrusive as anything could be...from a total stranger. I think that's what makes it so much a problem really. I get that it has to happen and I attempt to be an adult about it but it makes me deeply uncomfortable.
Old 5th February 2019, 07:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just.Fin
I also loathe the idea that as women we should be fine with or get used to something that is about as intrusive as anything could be...from a total stranger.
Absolutely. I couldn't agree more with this.
Old 5th February 2019, 15:19
Banned

I'm fine with it , it's just getting the appointment.
Booked mine for the 5th but later worked out my next period is around then so I have to cancel that and re-book.

When you work full time when are you supposed to get one for? Receptionist says they've only got mornings free ATM .
So their limited appointments have also got to coincide with my week day off and my period free days, it's impossible at my GP practice
Old 9th February 2019, 03:04

Mood
Grumpy

Never had one, and never intend to. I don't care - I'd rather die (apologies if I trigger anyone for saying that - but sorry, not sorry!). The same goes for dentists. Yeah they told me my teeth would fall out by the time I'm 20. Well I'm 27 and still mostly have teeth, yeah! I can't lie, though; the particular dentist woman I had when I was a kid was harsh as ice but really good at her job. I mean, seriously. Still...here I am (a pathetic crap).