SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 20th July 2021, 23:42

Mood
Gloomy

Default Anxious about starting my new job

I start my new job on Monday and although I'm excited about it, I'm also really anxious.

I haven't been in work for around two and a half years, unless you count a temporary retail job over Xmas 2018 and volunteering 1 day a week in a charity shop for most of 2019, so I think adjusting to working full-time is gonna be tough.

Last March when the pandemic hit I stopped applying for jobs cos tbh I didn't think many places would still be hiring. Then in January this year I enrolled in an employability course which all had to be done via Zoom and phone calls due to restrictions, along with a couple of free online courses to refresh my skills. Then about a month or so ago I started applying for jobs again and one of them asked me to do an interview with them via Zoom. I was quite surprised when they offered me the job about a week later as I was sure I hadn't done well enough in the interview.

Now although I'm happy, not to mention relieved, to have found work6 again I'm also slightly terrified. I've always found meeting new people scary and difficult, what if they don't like me & I have trouble getting to know my new colleagues? What if I'm unable to live up to their/my new manager's expectations? It's quite a large company and my new role sounds like it has a lot of possible opportunities for me, I just really don't want to mess it up.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Old 21st July 2021, 10:32

Mood
Bored

Default Re: Anxious about starting my new job

Well done on getting the job , remember most people are nervous when they start a new job, try to stop thinking negative thoughts and over the next few days try to keep yourself busy so you dont think as many negative thoughts, good luck
Old 21st July 2021, 15:11

I hope all goes well, and as Bored says, most people are nervous when they start a job. You clearly did well at your interview, and underestimate your abilities.

Try to have a relaxing weekend (maybe do some relaxation exercises?), and don't do the usual SA thing of catastrophising!
Old 24th July 2021, 15:08

Mood
Alienated

Good luck for the new job on Monday! I hope it goes really well.

I can’t say I’m an expert on this. I can’t speak for anyone else, but I’d say it won’t be as bad as you think it will be. Whenever I’m really nervous for something, I’d say it’s never as bad as I think, even if it doesn’t go perfectly. I can imagine your first day will go really quickly as well.
Old 26th July 2021, 01:57

It all sounds very positive, you sound like a great employee, volunteered during the pandemic, refreshed your skills etc.

I hope your first day goes well, please let us know how you get on.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk
Old 31st July 2021, 23:45

Mood
Gloomy

Thanks for all the well done and good luck messages. I've finished my first week in my new job now so I wanted to give you all an update.

I was so nervous when I arrived for my first day and walked into the office for the first time. I think I had prepared myself as much as I possibly could but as expected, I could still feel my anxiety creeping up inside me. It was clearly noticeable too because my new manager picked up on it and asked if I was OK a few times But as the day went on I did gradually start to feel less and less nervous. What really helps is that my new manager and coworkers all seem genuinely nice, friendly people and the office atmosphere is quite relaxed. My first week has been pretty full-on what with tonnes of new information to try and take in, there's everything from learning all the ins and outs of my new role, trying to remember everyone's names and who's who in the company, getting used to the commute (it's about a 30 minute drive each way), getting used to working 40 hours a week, learning where everything is... it's a lot lol. But overall I've had a great first week and I'm already starting to feel like one of the team. I know I've only been there a week but I can honestly see myself really enjoying working there! I'm actually happier than I've been in a long time and it looks like things are actually working out for me for once

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Old 1st August 2021, 15:41

That's wonderful news, Citizen! I hope things continue to go well.
Old 1st August 2021, 22:19

This is great news.