SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Issues and Conditions
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 13th September 2016, 10:18
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Default Psychotropic drugs cannot alleviate symptoms of mental disorders, say researchers

Drugs don't lead to sustainable alleviation of mental disorders, as the psychologists Prof Dr Jürgen Margraf and Prof Dr Silvia Schneider claim in a commentary published in "EMBO Molecular Medicine". The researchers from Ruhr-Universität Bochum have compiled numerous studies that question the long-term effectiveness of psychotropic drugs; some even document negative effects after prolonged application. Psychotherapies, on the other hand, are effective in the long-term. The authors postulate that it is necessary to interlink the research into the biological, psychological and social factors, rather than reduce mental diseases to biological causes alone.

http://www.news-medical.net/news/201...searchers.aspx

Psychologists plugging psychotherapy. Vested interest ?
Old 17th September 2016, 13:17

Mood
Bashful

Default Re: Psychotropic drugs cannot alleviate symptoms of mental disorders, say researchers

It's why I never take psychotropic drugs
Old 17th September 2016, 16:39

Default Re: Psychotropic drugs cannot alleviate symptoms of mental disorders, say researchers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishPeace
It's why I never take psychotropic drugs
This.

I will NEVER take medication for SA, simply because THEY. DON'T. WORK.
Old 18th September 2016, 16:04
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

I think the idea that they can't alleviate symptoms is a gross fallacy. They do for some. If one is arguing that symptoms may come back if the medication is stopped then that is true.
The same though could be said for headache medication.. You take it to relieve a headache. It goes and you stop. At some point you'll get another headache. Does this mean you should stop taking headache meds because they don't permanently stop headaches occurring?
Same goes for a lot of other medication it relieves symptoms so long as the medication is taken. Do we reject all meds on those grounds or is it just psychiatric meds?