SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 2nd June 2021, 01:30

Default Neighbours arguing and banging things around at night

It's nearly 1.30am and I'm having a panic attack because of neighbours. They are banging and crashing things about and is making my bedroom wall shake. They are a young couple and think it happens when they get drunk but it really scares me when it happens and is usually in the early hours of the morning. I've lived here over a year and it doesn't happen all the time. This is the first time in a number of months. It sounds like they are hammering and kicking something right now, I'm not sure what they are doing but it's really freaking me out. I've got my fan turned on high to try drown out noise but it's not really working. They were really bad around xmas time, arguing a lot and screaming, shouting, banging and sounded like they were throwing things at walls.

I am too scared to compalin because then they will know it's me as I'm the only flat attached to theirs on ground floor. I don't know what to do and I can't talk to them about it. I worry if he might be violent. Maybe I should report it to the police.. But then be will know it was me and I don't want him turning up at my door. Has anyone else had this problem with neighbours before? What did you do?
Old 2nd June 2021, 11:16

Mood
Lucky

Default Re: Neighbours arguing and banging things around at night

We complained and they kicked off and told us to get stuffed. So we found out who owned the house as it was rented and called the owner. They sorted it out.
Old 2nd June 2021, 17:02
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

it is awful when you have bad rowdy neighbours.

I had an ex con, heavy drug user, with a serious anger problem, who was playing rave level music at all times of the day including early hours. I put up with it for months and finally complained. Which made me extremely anxious. He was quiet for about a fortnight then started again. This went on and off for 3 and 1/2 years with me complaining, him stopping for a bit etc etc.. In the end I moved.

I probably should have been more full on with my complaining but like you I felt anxious and intimidated. I did use in the end headphones with noise cancelling which helped a lot, though not for the seriously loud music. Really your options are complain to the landlord (if you rent), complain to environmental health, if you have neighbour hood wardens then they might be helpful for advice but won't deal with domestic issues, sometimes councils have a anti social behaviour team which will help if your deemed to be vulnerable (i.e have a mental health problem). I realise all of these options are easier said than done.

I ended up putting myself on the council housing list and was given priority/Band A because my neighbour was affecting my mental health - I got a letter from my GP and one from MIND, which was the evidence they needed. My neighbour was extreme though. The noise cancelling headphones did help me get through it though.
Old 2nd June 2021, 17:03

^ so glad you got away from that guy in the end, Mo! I remember your posts about the relentless awful behaviour!!

Aww Marie..that sounds scary . Know that you are safe though and that it will stop.

Maybe you could keep a log of when it happens (date, time and how long it goes on for). And if it happens regularly or on specific nights, you could contact your landlord or theirs to see what they can do. You could mention that you don't want them to think you have complained, so the might send them a reminder of the rules - if there are any about noise in the middle of the night?
Old 8th June 2021, 14:24

Are you able to sleep in another room, or do your neighbours make noise in most rooms.

I don't understand why people behave like this, people should have respect for others even more so at night.

I hope you manage to have quiet night tonight and they aren't arguing.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk
Old 8th June 2021, 18:07

Oh, this makes me SO angry. If it was up to me, there would be super strict laws on noisy neighbours. Builders would also be forced to install sound proofing in every house. It literally ruins lives. I can think of three different people who have been affected in this way. One of them was driven close to a breakdown. It's just so awful. And it can happen to any of us at any time. Your life is great and then one day, bang, the sweet old lady next door moves out and a spiteful, noisy, sociopath with two feral kids moves in.