SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 13th May 2021, 18:46

Default Getting out into the world

On Monday the lockdown pretty much ends. We can go into another person’s house, take up an indoor sports class, etc. I really need to get back out into the world and meet people. The pandemic gave me an excuse to stay at home and hide away (which is all I really want to do). Do you have any ideas for getting back into the world? Any classes or support groups, etc, you plan to join?

I have a few vague ideas (obviously I won’t do all of them):

Join a gym
Take an evening class in philosophy
Take a class in Italian
Take guitar lessons
Start Brazilian Jim Jitsu
Old 13th May 2021, 19:42

Default Re: Getting out into the world

Lovely idea for a thread

Go away in an Airbnb (so we don’t have to mix with others...eeek).

Other things I’m really look forward to (archery lessons and go-karting) are gonna have to wait until I’m vaccinated. Not sure when that will be!
Old 13th May 2021, 20:39

Will we really be allowed into other people's houses? Previously you had to ask them first. Well this makes it more interesting at least.
I think once my first vaccine dose is fully effective (next week) then I'll feel more comfortable going out on the train again, maybe take my bike, visit some castles in the South or something, depending on weather.
I could do with a haircut, dentists, opticians etc. as well, but have been putting those off anyway due to avoidance.
Probably things won't change that much, but slowly. A friend of mine is having a barbeque next bank holiday, and I'm invited.
I really want to go and visit my sister and nephew in Spain, but that's still not an option yet, so we'll have to wait and see.
Old 14th May 2021, 10:45

Mood
Lucky

Gyms and BJJ have been open for a while so you can start now if you want?

I'm looking forward to sitting in again after months of takeaways as the weather is showing no signs of improving.

I'm tempted to do an evening class in photography as I do quite like it and it might be an excuse to get out there.

I'm keeping an eye on Meetup to see if anything appealing comes up once things are open a bit more.

Although I really can't be arsed. But I know I should do something.
Old 14th May 2021, 11:28

Mood
Lucky

Yeah, it's annoying when you think you might be good at a random activity then realize you aren't I was generally terrible at sports but I used to occasionally try random niche sports, thinking that maybe this would be the one that I was "suited to" but it doesn't really work like that!
Old 14th May 2021, 12:41

I've done various such sporting events on work away days and despite being teamed up with annoying colleagues they can be quite fun.
Axe throwing, Segway driving, hovercraft racing etc.
I'd like to do an indoor skydive some day, but it is very expensive and very short-lived, and I expect that being overweight and with a previous shoulder injury might disqualify me. I draw the line at actual sky-diving or bungee jumps, though I have run off the side of a hill with little more than a harness on my back and a canvas wing over my head.
Learning to ski might be interesting, though I don't know if my friends who used to do that sort of thing do any more.
Old 14th May 2021, 18:39

@Nanuq that sounds so cool...going around bow and arrowing around on horseback

I genuinely was looking for lessons but couldn’t find any near by so was going to try and find an intensive course when I’m off work.

@Tonkin I fell ya...forever in search of something that we might be good at. I’m quite good at ice skating and bowling if I use the lightest ball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Longer Human
Go Karting is fun. I've done that. The thing I found tiresome was the safety talk. "Don't aim for anyone's ankles" seems sufficient but it drags on for twenty minutes longer, going into all the different flag colours and their meanings. It's like going to an ice cream parlour but before you can get any you have to sit through a drawn out lecture on how to eat it.
that makes my brain happy, I like to know the rules and expectation

A go-karting Sauk meet would be awesome. And added plus is that you don’t need to think of things to say other than, “eat my dust!”
Old 14th May 2021, 20:02

Mood
Alienated

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits

A go-karting Sauk meet would be awesome. And added plus is that you don’t need to think of things to say other than, “eat my dust!”
I like this plan!

Presumably it wouldn’t be allowed to do it Mario Kart style. A bit dangerous to be chucking bananas at people while driving, and I think we’d need some strong stuff to recreate the Rainbow Road!
Old 14th May 2021, 20:16

Mood
Creative

I'd like to learn violin but specifically as part of a group, maybe a folk music group, as I have had enough of solitary piano practice for 30 years!

I'd also like to initiate more things myself, organise more dinner get-togethers, as I rarely invite people over (even before lockdown).
Old 15th May 2021, 08:07

Mood
Alienated

I made all these promises to myself last year.

Once this nonsense is over with, I'm going to do stuff. At the moment all I do is work..come home like a zombie, eat, fall asleep in front of youtube. It's pretty miserable, the weeks turn into months..which turn into years, jesus It feels like I was only at uni last year..but it was over 10 years ago!

Then I got "ill" or whatever is going on with me, now it feels like I've just stuck everything on hold as I don't feel right.

I'd quite like to do some..activities, maybe I need to find some outdoorsy things to do as most of my life is glued to a screen of some description, I want to take up swimming without the sinking bit, maybe even do some sort of course at the college

I did archery years ago, apparently I was pretty good! not sure I'd be able to exactly pop down the road and take it up again though
Old 15th May 2021, 09:51

Mood
Alienated

The past year was certainly a great excuse just to keep to myself. Society even encouraged me to do so! Now I don’t feel I have an excuse.

I’m lucky that I go to the pub every week with my friend. But that’s not a good way to meet new people. Not sure I’ve ever struck up a conversation with anyone else in the years I’ve been doing so.

I used to go to Meetup pub quizzes which were good because there were only short times where you had to make conversation. Most of it was thinking of answers for questions. This meant it did push me to chat with others, but it wasn’t overwhelming because it was broken up by the quiz rounds. Goodness knows when these events will start up again.

I’d like to go to board game meets. They sound quite fun. (Although another pub based activity!)

I love going on lots of walks. I’ve tried going with groups of people, but I’ve realised most people’s idea of a walk is a march. I can’t cope with that with my physical disability, which makes me feel inadequate. The same reason I can’t really do anything sporty, when really I think I’d quite enjoy it.

I’ve spent years trying to find something I’d enjoy to do with groups of people, but usually just find it’s easier just to do stuff on my own. The only successful thing I’ve found is the pub quiz. Hopefully these will start up again, but I also hope to find something that doesn’t involve sitting in a pub (as much as I love pubs), so I shall read this thread with interest!
Old 15th May 2021, 10:55

^^ that’s awesome that you’re good at archery. I tired it at this really fun mini golf place in Wales and I was terrible so that made me think I’d really like to get lessons. Taking up swimming sounds like a really good idea, being active is so helpful in creating some peace in the mind.

^ board game cafes are amazing. I miss being able to go to those. I’ve bought a few new games that I’ve really enjoyed from them but, other than my sister, I don’t really have anyone to play them with . Maybe when it’s safe there will be some more board game meet ups on here
Old 15th May 2021, 13:20

Mood
Lucky

I really enjoy the gym but I'm thinking of joining a gym class (at another gym) where it looks like you do what you would do in the gym (weights etc) but do it in a small group with a coach/trainer.

I find it appealing as I like this type of exercise, it could be sociable (where as the gym definitely isn't' for me) as you're in a group and you'd get a trainer to instruct you.

But then I find it unappealing as I like the gym and the solitude there. So if I joined this class gym I would be giving that up.

Plus I'm usually terrible in groups and the constant reminder of my lack of ability to integrate with a group or just chat to people in general would make em sad and turn something that was enjoyable into something I don't really enjoy anymore. This has happened before in the past with something like this. I really liked the actual activity but the social dynamics made me not enjoy it or at the least was just very disappointed in myself that I couldn't join in socially due to my shortcomings.
Old 15th May 2021, 15:38

Mood
Lucky

Yes, it's funny isn't it. I often find it easier at the start as I have hope that it will be great, and I can also tell myself there are no expectations on me being chatty as I'm new. But as time goes on and I'm still not talking to anyone, I get more and more self conscious. Sometimes I even think I must be dragging down everyone else's mood as no one likes to see someone in the group who doesn't talk to anyone. Maybe they think I hate them or something?

They've been doing a lot of outdoor classes here over lock down. Some basic like yoga and running around stuff, and some with loads of equipment from the gyms.

There's a roller booting meet near me where they all gather and some do it in time to music, some skate round little cones and some just sort of pootle around. It's a real diverse mix in terms of ages and abilities. There aren't really any fancy ones doing tricks and stuff. It looks quite nice.
Old 15th May 2021, 16:08

^ nice wheels!
Old 17th May 2021, 16:41

I'm really hoping my badminton class starts back up this year. I've missed it a lot although after not playing for a year I'm going to completely suck

Wondering if my boardgame group will start meeting in person again. They have been playing online every now and then but I've only joined in a couple of times for various reasons.

I'd love to have a go at paddle boarding or kayaking. Archery would be good too, I had a go on a hen do a couple of years ago and found it fun.
Old 19th May 2021, 03:02

Good suggestions, Orwell! I'm thinking about joining a gym myself. Once I get past the procrastination stage that is. But your thread has definitely inspired me to think more about getting past the procrastinating stage. Anyway, I hope you don't mind Orwell, but I just want to have a quick chat with a few members on this thread. Although the chats I'm about to have aren't specifically linked to the topic of this thread. However, the content of what I am about to discuss will still be kind of in the ballpark of "getting out there" as it were. Anyway, I shouldn't be too long. Thanks Orwell!

Biscuits, I have always respected you. In fact, I think you are the greatest! That being said, I hope you won't be offended by what I am about to type:

Now as you may be aware, I have been a great admirer of NLH for quite some time now. At first it was a generalised appreciation for his posts. But as time went on, that generalised appreciation started to grow. Expediently you could say. Especially in recent times for some reason. Although I suppose some people might speculate as to why that may be? The frequency of NLH's posts maybe? Or how it might have something to do with how NLH was straddling that mighty machine in that photo. While also wearing some tight fitting leathers. Who's to say? But my point is, and please forgive me for what I am about to type biscuits. He's spoken for!!! Or to put it another way. You know how cats scent mark their territory? Well there's steam coming off from NLH right now!!! He's dripping wet with my steam is what I am trying to convey.

Although that being said, it's entirely possible that I have misinterpreted your appreciation for NLH's wheels for something else? In which case, I can't apologise enough for the misunderstanding. I also want to level with you as well biscuits. Because here's the thing, Me and NLH aren't spring chickens anymore. In an ideal world, cupid's arrow would have landed better for me and NLH. But that being said, when life
gives you lemons, it's then that I need to ask NLH to accompany me on a night out.

Anyway, it's great chatting with you biscuits! And by the way, I'm liking your sunflowers thread!

NLH shall we! Although before we head out into the night, I promise this will be a one time thing, After all, asking you to accompany me to a candlelight dinner. While also dancing the night away. And not forgetting the horse carriage ride back afterwards. Is a big ask. But again, it will only be a one time thing:

Ok everyone, me and NLH are just heading out for a candlelight dinner. As well as some dancing. And not forgetting the horse carriage ride back afterwards. So there's no need to wait up for us:

I'm not entirely sure what the proper etiquette is for ending a night like this? Fist bump, maybe? Yeah, you know where you stand with a fist bump

Disclaimer: I want the forum to know that I thought this post would take me about 30 minutes to complete. It turns out that it took me longer than 30 minutes to complete. Who knew! But time well spent I think. Anyway, the sugar is starting to wear off and I need to be up at 8am. Oh and no offence intended on the scent marking comment, NLH. My intenion was to change that line, but what with being tired right now. But I have no problems with you scent markng me anytime you like. After all, it's the least I can do
Old 19th May 2021, 12:07

I'm sorry Nanuq, I would have asked you to come as well if I had known. But maybe we can schedule that for another time. After I've recovered from this dance. And we will then make a night of it! There will be lot's of dancing of course. Fine dining as well. And not forgetting that carriage ride! We might even go bobsleighing as well! Why bobsleighing you ask? Who knows
Old 19th May 2021, 16:12

^^ I didn't realise that you and NLH were an 'item' Chess&Junkfood. I hope he is as enamoured of you as you are of him

Back to Orwell's thread...

At the moment I want to stay within the comfort and safety of my four walls and never have to venture out into the world again. Hopefully I'll feel differently when, and if, my physical health improves.

I've put on a stone in weight during the past year's Pandemic and lockdowns through lack of activity so I really want to be able to start going for regular walks in the countryside again. I used to enjoy taking photographs on my walks so I'd like to get back into that.

I want to start re-visiting some National Trust Properties and Gardens. It would be a tragedy to see these beautiful Historic buildings falling into disrepair so they need all the support they can get from visitors now that restrictions have lifted.

I'd love to join a painting class or anything to do with Arts and crafts but I know that my anxiety would get in the way of that.

Although I'm not religious, I enjoy visiting Churches and wandering around grave yards looking at the ancient stones. It probably makes me sound weird or morbid but I get such a feeling of peace and serenity in these places.

Myself and my family used to like eating out before the Pandemic but I don't know how I'll feel when I next go to a restaurant or country pub. It's not the threat of catching some new variant of Covid that worries me too much as the anxiety of doing something that I haven't done for such a long time.

I'd like to travel abroad again in the future.
Before the Pandemic struck we had a holiday booked in Italy on the shores of Lake Garda but it had to be cancelled because of Covid. There will be opportunities to return in the future but it was especially sad because it was likely to be my very poorly mum's last trip abroad.
Old 19th May 2021, 17:33

Cor, Chess and Junk Food...you know how to treat a fella.

I also want in on this date, Nanuq. We can be SAUK's first quadrupple.

Let's not sit on the sofa chairs in the restaurant. I'm too short to be sinking into chairs. I won't be able to reach the nut roast.
Old 20th May 2021, 02:13

^ Lol, can I come a long too and be the chaperone