SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 4th April 2007, 23:11

Default Advice Required - should I start on anti depressants?

?
Old 4th April 2007, 23:25

Default Re: Advice Required - should I start on anti depressants?

Well look, they could really help you, so why not take them? Jeeze, drugs ain't evil you know.
Old 4th April 2007, 23:48

You appear to have dealt with a lot of issues without medication, so respect to you for that.

I do take meds, but I started taking them when I was rock bottom; not after making a lot of progress like you already have.

My feelings are that anti-depressant meds could help you with any remaining depressive episodes you have and assist in your work on your SA. I'm not sure if they will be of use regarding a drinking problem and for self-esteem, though.

Having said that, if the meds help you address your SA, your self-esteem may rise as an indirect result.

The pros and cons of meds for me are...

Pros - Meds stabilised me and stopped my depression so I could function well enough to put in the work necessary to deal with SA.

Cons - side-effects, although they are now minimal.

Personally, all my improvements have come since I used a two-pronged strategy of meds and a whole attitude/application/outlook rethink and change. I'm not sure I'd have the stability without the meds, because I never had it at any time previously. So for me it was worth it, but we all have to judge the pros and cons in our own situation and make up our own mind.

If I could have done it without meds I would have done, but I tried for decades with no success, so went with meds eventually.
Old 5th April 2007, 00:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_uk
Inner your views only add to my view that if I can do it without than do it. Your kind words are appreciated during my struggle.
You're welcome, Andrew.
That really is an impressive list of things you've beaten, you know. You have shown you have what it takes to address whatever is going on for you, so my guess is that if you continue your efforts you will almost certainly get to where you hope to go. You obviously must be doing a lot of things right, so maybe you have the resources, so don't really need the meds.

I wish you continued success.
Old 5th April 2007, 00:16

Mood
Inspired

Hi my advice would be to go all out to address your drinking problem espcially with a view to being abstinent either for a few months or permanently. It would probably help with easing the occassional depression. And in respect of increasing your self esteem, as you'll be more motivated to 'do' things, have better relationships, and of course waste less time drinking or recovering from the effects.

Hope this helps
Old 5th April 2007, 07:06

I too chose abstinence and it's the best thing I could have done. Having said that I still had residual feelings of depression and constant fear/anxiety hanging around that I couldn't shift. After about 2 years of trying I've gone down the meds route again and taking 10mg of escitalopram which has been wonderful for me. The side effects are not noticeable and I've been able to feel optomistic again and even happy from time to time! Worth a try if my experience is anything to go by.
Old 5th April 2007, 09:45

All I will say is they DO work, absolutely no question...it is not just a placebo effect. Seroxat reduces my SA by about 60-70% and boosts my self-esteem. It also helps me to sleep, which is heaven.

Of course I don't know, but I would guess that your drinking is connected to depression, SA and low self-esteem. The anti- depressants will remove these.
Old 5th April 2007, 11:15

You need to find out all you can about anti-depressants and the different types, before you decide. Most are not addictive, but withdrawal symptons can make it hard to come off them.
Old 5th April 2007, 11:28

Andrew, I tend to agree with the others on here who said that you have already come so far without medication, it might be counter productive to start taking them now.

I am in a somewhat similar situation I think, I have already beaten some of my more severe problems without medication and I wouldn't consider taking them now. When I was in my early 20s I could have used some medicine I think as I had some really bad patches of anxiety (about everything and nothing, not just about meeting people) and sometimes felt totally 'unreal' as well as depressed (although I kept functioning on the outside). However I never seriously considered medication as I don't like the idea of chemicals messing with my brain. If I had taken them, however, that might have made some very bad times a bit less painful.

At the end of the day I guess it's up to everyone, but I'm sure it's much better to find a way out with medication rather than just staying stuck seeing no way out at all!
Old 5th April 2007, 12:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moksha

Of course I don't know, but I would guess that your drinking is connected to depression, SA and low self-esteem. The anti- depressants will remove these.
I'm sorry, that is such a ludicrously sweeping statement. The odds that an antidepressant will remove those three things are extremely remote. Just because they worked for you does not mean they will work for others. Many, many people do not benefit from them and can in fact be made worse from taking them.

I agree with the others that you have made so much progress without meds, Andrew_uk, that it would be unwise to start them now.
Old 5th April 2007, 12:59

I know for me anti-depressants (low dosage) have been helpful. I don't think it is a problem solver underlying issues still need to be treated. About six years ago I was very depressed and I know the anti-depressants did help. It can be a problem getting the right ones to suit you as an individual though, I was put on a few different ones before I found one that suited me.

I am not against using them as I think depression is a very real illness and if someone is unable to lift themselves out of the depths of depression. I think medication along with CBT or other therapy is a good idea.

Andrew you sound very positive and seem to have done very well without them so unless you feel extremely depressed I would stick to what you are doing because its obviously working!
Old 6th April 2007, 19:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by emgee
I'm sorry, that is such a ludicrously sweeping statement. The odds that an antidepressant will remove those three things are extremely remote. Just because they worked for you does not mean they will work for others. Many, many people do not benefit from them and can in fact be made worse from taking them.

I agree with the others that you have made so much progress without meds, Andrew_uk, that it would be unwise to start them now.
Well ok, I can only speak from personal experience and in my case the seroxat worked like a miracle. It helped me sleep, boosted my self-esteem and removed my depression. It also helped me avoid a nervous breakdown.

I have tried the natural solutions...st john's wort, fish oil, 5 htp + lots of jogging and swimming every day. Result?... in my case absolutely and completely useless and ineffective.
Old 6th April 2007, 21:12

Mood
Pensive

I have only recently (in the last couple of years) started taking antidepressants and reached a point of desperation and hopelessness before resorting to them.

I am also having psychotherapy now in a group.

I would advise that antidepressants are not necessary for mild or occasional depression unless the occasional depression is very severe.
Old 6th April 2007, 21:26

i think its worth a try im going to try them again hopefully im going to back monday and ask about them.
Closed Thread