SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 16th June 2007, 18:53

Default SSRIs

What is the highest dose of an SSRI you have ever been on? For how long?
Old 16th June 2007, 19:21

Default Re: SSRIs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray777
15mg of Lexapro (Cipralex). Three months and three days (and counting).
Any good Ray? I tried it once but, as with all SSRIs (apart from seroxat) it caused terrible insomnia, so I stopped taking it after 2 weeks. I thought the basic starting dose was 20mg.
Old 17th June 2007, 13:32

40 mg/day of Paroxetine for a while.
Old 17th June 2007, 17:05
d

I've been on 40mg Fluoxetine for about a year.
Old 18th June 2007, 09:30

Moksha.

As to Cipralex - I've been started on 10mg and it's the only thing that's really worked for me so far. I'm coming up to my 6th month on it and hope I can stay on it for the forseeable future.
Old 18th June 2007, 22:50

I've been on Cipralex (Escitalopram) for 5 years. It's helped me a lot. The max dose I've taken is 20mg, which is supposed to be the maximum for this med. I currently take 10 mg because I function ok on that dose at the moment.

PS, regarding the basic starting dose of Cipralex. I believe that is 10mg, though I've heard of people being started at just 5mg.
Old 18th June 2007, 23:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innervision
I've been on Cipralex (Escitalopram) for 5 years. It's helped me a lot. The max dose I've taken is 20mg, which is supposed to be the maximum for this med. I currently take 10 mg because I function ok on that dose at the moment.

PS, regarding the basic starting dose of Cipralex. I believe that is 10mg, though I've heard of people being started at just 5mg.
That surprises me. The basic starting dose for seroxat is 20mg. I thought that went for all SSRIs...
Old 19th June 2007, 00:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moksha
That surprises me. The basic starting dose for seroxat is 20mg. I thought that went for all SSRIs...
I don't really know enough to comment further, other than to say I think different brands of SSRI are maybe stronger/weaker mg for mg than others.

I know that Cipralex (Escitalopram) is a more refined version of Cipramil (Citalopram) so a smaller dosage is required with Cipralex than it was with Cipramil. It may sound like a small dose, but it is reputedly just as therapeutically effective as a larger dose of Cipramil.

Although the starting dose of Seroxat is 20mg, that figure is actually supposed to be the maximum dose for Cipralex. I used to be on 20mg but it was too strong and totally numbed me out. I find 10 or 15mg to suit me best, though I've gone down to 5mg before and still felt the benefit.

EDIT: Just found this text on Lexapro, which is the American name for Cipralex...

What dose of Lexapro should a patient be started at and how do you know if the dosage should be increased or decreased? And when the dosage is increased or decreased, what does that do to your body and what does that make you feel like? What are the minimum and maximum dosages?
A: Most patients are started at 10 mg/day. Some patients might be started at 5 mg (especially those with severe anxiety disorder, those old or ill from other medical conditions), but most start at either one 10mg tablet, or half of a 20mg tablet. Usually the medication is taken once a day, most commonly in the morning, but some prefer to take it in the evening or at noontime.
From an effectiveness standpoint, it does not matter when during the day the medication is taken as it is the 24-hour dose only that seems to matter. Although side effects are not that common, some patients get either slightly sedated or energized by the medication, and these side effects for that particular patient may guide the time of day the tablet is taken (sedated-in the evening, energized-in the morning).
Generally the starting dose of 10mg is the ongoing dose for most patients. It is usually best to wait 3-8 weeks before deciding to increase the dose. An increase would be necessary if the medication is only partially effective at reducing the depressive symptoms. Although Lexapro seems to work in many patients a bit faster than other antidepressants, it still may take 3-8 weeks to fully "kick in" for the full antidepressant effect.
A decrease in dosage is generally suggested for side effects that do not go away in 2 weeks or so. (Most side effects, like nausea, indigestion, diarrhea, headache, slight increase in anxiety do go away within 2 weeks).
After the initial disappearance of side effects, they usually are gone for the duration of medication usage. However, on increasing the dose, the side effect may return for a brief period of time (usually no more than a day or two).
The minimum dose for most people is 10 mg (though a few may respond at 5 mg), and the maximum is generally 20mg (though a very few may require 30mg (higher than the FDA recommended top dose).

Second Edit:

I just had a quick look on google and the start dose for SSRI's is not all the same it would seem.

Prozac - a 20mg start dose with a max of 80mg.
Zoloft - a 50mg start dose with a 200mg max.
Cipramil - a 20mg start dose with a 60mg max.
Cipralex, as stated above - usually a 10mg starting dose with a 20mg max in most cases.
Sertraline/Lustral - a 50mg starting dose with a 200mg max.
Old 19th June 2007, 08:54

Thankyou Innervision
Old 19th June 2007, 09:57

Hi,
I have been on seroxat for 13 years, since i was 17 , i really wish i had never taken it they seem to just numb your brain and you don't care about anything, which might seem like a good thing with SA but it isn't
so here i am 30 years old , still living with my parents, no job, no boyfriend, no life and going through seroxat withdrawal hell and my anxiety is sooooo much worse than before i started taking them

I'm not trying to put anyone off taking them, if you do try an ssri i really hope it helps you, but i'm not sure taking them for 13 years is a good idea

but i'm now determined to get better
Old 20th June 2007, 00:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzzy
Hi,
I have been on seroxat for 13 years, since i was 17 , i really wish i had never taken it they seem to just numb your brain and you don't care about anything, which might seem like a good thing with SA but it isn't
so here i am 30 years old , still living with my parents, no job, no boyfriend, no life and going through seroxat withdrawal hell and my anxiety is sooooo much worse than before i started taking them

I'm not trying to put anyone off taking them, if you do try an ssri i really hope it helps you, but i'm not sure taking them for 13 years is a good idea

but i'm now determined to get better
I would try Meditation or the Holosync program?

Give me a shout and i can sort out the Holosync stuff for ya?
Old 20th June 2007, 10:08

Hi,

ok, now i'm gonna sound really stoopid , nothing new there then

but what is a Holosync program?

I'm really interested in anything that will help

thanks, dizzy
Closed Thread