SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Issues and Conditions
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 11th April 2016, 22:00
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Default Literature and Mental Health: Reading for Wellbeing

About the course

The great 18th century writer Dr Samuel Johnson, who suffered from severe bouts of depression, said “the only end of writing is to enable the reader better to enjoy life or better to endure it.”

This free online course will explore how enjoying literature can help us to endure life.

Taking Johnson’s phrase as a starting point, the course will consider how poems, plays and novels can help us understand and cope with times of deep emotional strain. The reading load will be flexible, and you will have the opportunity to exchange ideas and feelings via the online discussions with other learners.

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/literature
Old 16th April 2016, 07:37
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Default Re: Literature and Mental Health: Reading for Wellbeing

Not sure whether I'll do it as like you I am not an avid reader. Decades ago,in my childhood and teens, I used to be. However over time I've realised it,reading, is something of a one dimensional experience for me. Just words flowing from a page with no ability to form mental images of characters and scenes.
I posted it however as I know some people are avid readers.
I am looking forward to a rerun of the genealogy course. It was done recently but for one reason or another I never got round to it.
I must admit even with no pressure, distance learning I am still somewhat phobic about the process. I fully admit it's irrational-no one to bully or reject you,no fear of failing an important exam.