SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 3rd October 2017, 00:49

Mood
Mellow

Default Anti anxiety medication that isn't SSRIs

My anxiety has gotten really bad again, especially the physical symptoms. My appetite has changed a lot in the last couple of days, I either feel hungry and don't want to eat or I try to eat, manage a few bites and feel sick. My appetite never changes. I'm also getting heart palpations, headaches, insomnia, feel like I'm generally going crazy and very restless.

I DONT want to go onto Ssri's again, like ever! But I don't want to keep going on like this. I will monitor it within the next week and have booked a GP appointment for two weeks time just incase I don't feel better by then. Thing is, what else can a doctor prescribe? Is there just medications that stop the anxiety or does it need to be ssri's. I've heard of beta blockers but I really hope I don't end up on them either. Last time I went to doctors they offered me Cbt but it's pointless because I can't pin point my anxiety, I just get it whenever and wherever. I can deal with the mental symptoms but can't deal with these physical ones

Anyone experienced any anti anxiety medication that wasn't anti depressants and how did they work for you??
Old 3rd October 2017, 10:06

Default Re: Anti anxiety medication that isn't SSRIs

Why are you against trying beta blockers? I've found slow release propranolol very helpful, I can pm you more info if you like, they are not addictive.
Old 3rd October 2017, 22:12

Mood
Mellow

Tbh I'm just against taking most medications but I realise that sometimes they are necessary. I don't get heart palpitations all the time, just now and again, it's the messed up sleep patterns I want to address more than anything as I think they are impacting my anxiety the most. I was averaging around 5-6 hours most nights in last 2 weeks and I just cannot function on that little sleep, I need my 8 hours to feel focused.
Old 3rd October 2017, 22:59

Mood
Bashful

I'm prescribed Atenolol tablets @ 25mg to help reduce my physical anxiety feelings which are giddiness, tight chest, breathlessness, sweating and blushing.I would recommend them as they do take the edge off the feelings.I tried Propranolol but they actually made me feel worse. It helps to feel some of the physical symptoms and just try to accept and let them come if they want to.Try not to worry about how you feel( which I know is easier said than done). By letting the feelings do whatever they want and accepting them you can reach that point where the feelings no longer matter. It is then that they will begin to calm down.

But yes, don't close your mind to taking Beta Blockers.
Old 9th October 2017, 11:58

Mood
Bashful

Any of the benzodiazepines or buspirone.
Old 12th October 2017, 22:27

Mood
Crappy

Yesterday my gp gave me 40mg propranolol 3 times a day. Its helped the anxiety and I'm not over thinking so much either. He said my psychiatrist can give me the best meds rather than a gp. Maybe thats an option you could try..?