SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Board Management > The Garage
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 9th April 2008, 19:00
Amber Fyre Amber Fyre is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,520

Mood
Dreaming

Default Re: Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pal
Exactly, it'd be fun and i reallty don't think it'd be as harmful as some are making out, not if we stick to positive rep only!!
At this current time I don't think this system would affect me too much emotionally, but I know when I was at my most anxious it would have! If someone didn't recieve a positive rep or any good feedback some people may start to think 'why? What is wrong with my posts?'. Especially if you take your time to write a reply and you get no rep for it but other people do. People may lose the motivation to post if they feel their posts aren't making an impact.

Also, being able to say who 'writes better posts than others' and 'who has more valid points' seems a bit... Just because someone would have a high ranking doesn't mean they would necessarily be a more helpful poster, such ranking systems generally in life just give you an indication of who is 'popular' rather than who is more deserving! Of course this may not happen here, but it's a possibility.

In the past all threads relating to 'praise this person' and such things have always gone down badly. People feel left out when they recieve no praise, and this can create paranoia, a sense of exclusion and may not help people who are already feeling anxious. Obviously it will give a boost to the few who do well from the system, but I don't think it's worth it considering how down it could get some people.
  #32  
Old 9th April 2008, 19:02
Azi Azi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 20,243
Default Re: Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberfirez
At this current time I don't think this system would affect me too much emotionally, but I know when I was at my most anxious it would have! If someone didn't recieve a positive rep or any good feedback some people may start to think 'why? What is wrong with my posts?', etc. Especially if you take your time to write a reply and you get no rep for it but other people do. People may lose the motivation to post if they feel their posts aren't making an impact.

Also the argument of being able to say who 'writes better posts than others' and 'who has more valid points' seems a bit... Just because someone would have a high ranking doesn't mean they would necessarily be a more helpful poster, such ranking systems generally in life just give you an indication of who is 'popular' rather than who is more deserving! Of course this may not happen here, but it's a possibility.

In the past all threads relating to 'praise this person' and such things have always gone down badly. People feel left out when they recieve no praise, and this can create paranoia, a sense of exclusion and may not help people who are already feeling anxious. Obviously it will give a boost to the few who do well from the system, but I don't think it's worse it considering how down it could get some people.
  #33  
Old 9th April 2008, 19:04
Amber Fyre Amber Fyre is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,520

Mood
Dreaming

Default Re: Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_Zen_Indigo
Is that positive rep?
  #34  
Old 9th April 2008, 19:45
paulthequiet paulthequiet is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Merseyside
Posts: 946
Default Re: Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pal
Exactly, it'd be fun and i reallty don't think it'd be as harmful as some are making out, not if we stick to positive rep only!!
But at positive rep only there's still a perceived negative rep by comparison with those with a high rep. Someone could have posted a whole lot and not received much and then think "I must be loser among losers" or whatever. I'm not saying that's at all logical thinking but it will happen.

I think a rep system would make it even harder for some who already have difficulties posting.
  #35  
Old 9th May 2008, 03:40
Pal Pal is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Southampton, Hants
Posts: 11,163

Mood
Cool

Default Re: Rep

Me again

Some forums have a post rep system, where by a post is awarded stars rather then a poster, what about that as an alternative since it shouldn't effect the feelings of anyone else and should only serve to award good and helpful posts!?
  #36  
Old 9th May 2008, 14:34
Amber Fyre Amber Fyre is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,520

Mood
Dreaming

Default Re: Rep

^ But that causes exactly the same problems. What happens if someone posts a lot and their posts never get any rep? It doesn't make much of a difference, it would still be taken personally by many people.
  #37  
Old 9th May 2008, 14:52
ExSAguy ExSAguy is offline
Banned at own request
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Northampton UK
Posts: 794

Mood
Blah

Default Re: Rep

My ego is big enough lol
  #38  
Old 9th May 2008, 15:43
miŠo miŠo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,289

Mood
Curious

Default Re: Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pal
Me again

Some forums have a post rep system, where by a post is awarded stars rather then a poster, what about that as an alternative since it shouldn't effect the feelings of anyone else and should only serve to award good and helpful posts!?
I've only just realised that this place doesn't have that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
^ But that causes exactly the same problems. What happens if someone posts a lot and their posts never get any rep? It doesn't make much of a difference, it would still be taken personally by many people.
Not so. If I get what Pal is talking about, it is stars for your post count. i.e. if you make 100 posts, you get one star, or a particular title. If you make 200 posts, you get another star and a better title. If you make 10,000 posts or something like that, you get 5 stars and the title of super geek!

It's completely pointless. But why not?
  #39  
Old 9th May 2008, 16:24
Amber Fyre Amber Fyre is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,520

Mood
Dreaming

Default Re: Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by miŠo
Not so. If I get what Pal is talking about, it is stars for your post count. i.e. if you make 100 posts, you get one star, or a particular title. If you make 200 posts, you get another star and a better title. If you make 10,000 posts or something like that, you get 5 stars and the title of super geek!

It's completely pointless. But why not?
I didn't take what he meant to mean that. I think he meant that each post gets rated individually based on whether people think it's a useful post or not.
  #40  
Old 9th May 2008, 17:34
Azi Azi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 20,243
Default Re: Rep

^ yeah thats how I saw it too. And I'd still not like it, not on a support/anxiety site.
  #41  
Old 9th May 2008, 17:51
miŠo miŠo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,289

Mood
Curious

Default Re: Rep

Maybe. In which case it would indeed be very similar to the original proposal.

Over to you Pal.
  #42  
Old 9th May 2008, 18:36
Pal Pal is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Southampton, Hants
Posts: 11,163

Mood
Cool

Default Re: Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberfirez
I didn't take what he meant to mean that. I think he meant that each post gets rated individually based on whether people think it's a useful post or not.
Yeah that's what i'm talking about.

I still think people are over estimating the problems this could cause, concidering that people get paranoid over a lack of thread replies anyway (i do it too before anyone starts) i don't see that it'll really make much difference.
  #43  
Old 9th May 2008, 18:44
Azi Azi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 20,243
Default Re: Rep

Why do you think its needed?
  #44  
Old 9th May 2008, 18:52
Pal Pal is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Southampton, Hants
Posts: 11,163

Mood
Cool

Default Re: Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_Zen_Indigo
Why do you think its needed?
Not sure about needed but i think i could be good to up moral and give people a chance to award good posts.
  #45  
Old 9th May 2008, 18:54
Azi Azi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 20,243
Default Re: Rep

But that already happens naturally, with people replying positively to posts. I don't quite understand why have a Rep feature would be any better, and unfortunately I can see lots of problems with it.
  #46  
Old 9th May 2008, 18:58
Amber Fyre Amber Fyre is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,520

Mood
Dreaming

Default Re: Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pal
I still think people are over estimating the problems this could cause, concidering that people get paranoid over a lack of thread replies anyway (i do it too before anyone starts) i don't see that it'll really make much difference.
Exactly, people with social anxiety can be sensitive and get paranoid enough as it is without another thing to add to it.
Imagine if there was a thread with 4 posts, 3 have positive rep and the other one has nothing, depending on who the person is this could affect someone a lot.
It would almost be like 'competing' for positive rep on each of your posts, and if a post doesn't get it people may feel their post was unread or deemed rubbish, etc. People with social anxiety can be sensitive souls.
  #47  
Old 9th May 2008, 19:10
pAuL1974 pAuL1974 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: London/Herts
Posts: 779
Default Re: Rep

It remains a stinker of an idea.
  #48  
Old 9th May 2008, 19:12
Pal Pal is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Southampton, Hants
Posts: 11,163

Mood
Cool

Default Re: Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberfirez
Exactly, people with social anxiety can be sensitive and get paranoid enough as it is without another thing to add to it.
Imagine if there was a thread with 4 posts, 3 have positive rep and the other one has nothing, depending on who the person is this could affect someone a lot.
It would almost be like 'competing' for positive rep on each of your posts, and if a post doesn't get it people may feel their post was unread or deemed rubbish, etc. People with social anxiety can be sensitive souls.
I seem to be a tad out voted here.

I have to wonder at the wisdom though of sheilding SAers from this sort of thing over the net, this could potentually be useful for exposing them to this sort of fear without effecting them too badly emotionally. Sort of like a gentile way of exposing them to false critisism.
  #49  
Old 9th May 2008, 19:16
Amber Fyre Amber Fyre is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,520

Mood
Dreaming

Default Re: Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pal
I have to wonder at the wisdom though of sheilding SAers from this sort of thing over the net, this could potentually be useful for exposing them to this sort of fear without effecting them too badly emotionally. Sort of like a gentile way of exposing them to false critisism.
I understand that line of thought, and it's something that occured to me too. However, we can't be the ones to judge when someone is 'ready' to be exposed to such things. Some people may be at the beginning of dealing with their social anxiety and may not be able to cope with such a thing and leave the site out of feelings of rejection or feel they're being ignored or are unliked (and these are the people who need the site the most!). Exposing yourself to criticism or your fears may be useful at certain points perhaps, but only when that person is ready. We cannot presume that everybody on this site is or will be. And I believe it could affect some people quite badly emotionally, especially if this site is their only social outlet or somewhere they rely on.
I don't think it's wise to cater to the needs of the less sensitive social anxious individuals at the expense of the more sensitive and anxious, and risk driving them away. They're here for support, and a system which judges each one of their posts as either 'useful' or 'not useful' is not the best way to do this.
  #50  
Old 9th May 2008, 19:22
Pal Pal is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Southampton, Hants
Posts: 11,163

Mood
Cool

Default Re: Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberfirez
I understand that line of thought, and it's something that occured to me too. However, we can't be the ones to judge when someone is 'ready' to be exposed to such things. Some people may be at the beginning of dealing with their social anxiety and may not be able to cope with such a thing and leave the site out of feelings of rejection or feel they're being ignored or are unliked (and these are the people who need the site the most!). The steps you talk about are good at certain times perhaps, but only when that person is ready. We cannot presume that everybody on this site is or will be.
Fair point

Maybe there's a way to allow rep as and when a person is ready for it.

I still find it incredably frustraiting that some people are coming out with really excellent posts and the best i, or we, can do is to reply with an "excellent post/good post" comment.
  #51  
Old 9th May 2008, 19:25
Azi Azi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 20,243
Default Re: Rep

Also, in real life people don't give you constant feedback on your thoughts and opinions. When someone posts something interesting very often people will give positive feedback, without need for rep.
  #52  
Old 9th May 2008, 19:26
Azi Azi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 20,243
Default Re: Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pal
Fair point

Maybe there's a way to allow rep as and when a person is ready for it.

I still find it incredably frustraiting that some people are coming out with really excellent posts and the best i, or we, can do is to reply with an "excellent post/good post" comment.
But isn't that in effect what repping is (saying "good post")? At least with feedback its personal, and can praise some parts not others, or can further the points. Its discussion.
  #53  
Old 9th May 2008, 19:32
Pal Pal is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Southampton, Hants
Posts: 11,163

Mood
Cool

Default Re: Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_Zen_Indigo
But isn't that in effect what repping is (saying "good post")? At least with feedback its personal, and can praise some parts not others, or can further the points. Its discussion.
Often doesn't feel like enough to me though.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 14:29.


SAUK Award
Logo designed by abc
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.