Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Board Management > The Garage
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 31st January 2006, 16:19

Mood
Dreaming

Default Re: Gender distinction

This is a small community. To some on this site this is all they have; us. I would quite like to feel I know some people on here to some extent. Having genderless people isn't very realistic.

I know some people wouldnt like their gender shown for their own reasons. This is why I think the idea of it being optional is a good idea. Then every man (or woman) can decide for themself.
Old 31st January 2006, 16:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberfirez
Having genderless people isn't very realistic.
You'd be surprised what a pair of scissors can do.

Quote:
This is a small community. To some on this site this is all they have; us. I would quite like to feel I know some people on here to some extent.
As my spam-like posting over the last few days proves, I am one of those people, but I still don't need to necessarily know everyone's gender.

Actually, let me rephrase that as it sounds cold. What I'm saying is that it shouldn't matter.

Sometimes not knowing frees people up the post more freely than they otherwise would (e.g. the 'what it is to be a man' thread in the SA room, where although it's obvious men were posting there, if it was evident some of them were female, then I don't think you wouldn't have had quite as honest response).

I can realise it sometimes helps, but it also gives over (whether through net stereotyping or otherwise) as an extension of the A/S/L stuff that's previously characterised what I saw of chatroom tosh in school/college. Obviously distinguishing someone's gender shouldn't automatically twist things that way, but there's always the possibility that it'll change the asexual vibe that members can sometimes take refuge in as a collective (very communist of me, I know).

Quote:
I know some people wouldnt like their gender shown for their own reasons. This is why I think the idea of it being optional is a good idea. Then every man (or woman) can decide for themself.
Fair enough. I'll go along with optional if it's technically possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markimark
i think every man or woman already has decided for themselves by their choice of username, avatar and details entered in profiles. If its still unclear after that its almost certainly cos thats how the person wants it.
That's true. There are other ways to express your gender than a simple male/female signification.
Old 31st January 2006, 17:02

Mood
Dreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept
You'd be surprised what a pair of scissors can do.
Old 31st January 2006, 18:53
Founder

If you go to User CP, you can edit your profile and under the biography section you can say whatever you like about yourself including your gender. Or you can use a female or male name to sign your posts if you want people to know your gender (or to deceive them as to your gender). I'm not a big fan of using a symbol system. Most of the time it shouldn't and (doesn't) make any difference whether the person is male or female and if you want to give more info about yourself, like your gender, you can in many ways-profile, sig, choice of username or by posting it.
Anne
Old 31st January 2006, 20:45

Anne finally cant take any more after 5 and a half pages of meaningless drivel and wades straight in with stright-to-the point no sh*t facts. Top form Anne.

Quote:
What if Im a man in mind, but I'd like the body of a woman?
Old 31st January 2006, 20:46
The_Godfather

I say, show it all baby.
Old 31st January 2006, 21:39

What happens if you are transgender?
Old 31st January 2006, 22:04
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worker101
Anne finally cant take any more after 5 and a half pages of meaningless drivel and wades straight in with stright-to-the point no sh*t facts. Top form Anne.
I only saw this tonight.
Old 1st February 2006, 01:48

Maybe it's time to draw a polite line under this thread I just thought it would be helpful to know who's who etc. Some member names are ambivalent and some writing styles are not always clear cut. I didn't think it would arouse quite so much interest but there you go! As for a "dating forum", 2 SA people dating is something of a contradiction in terms - where would you go? what would you say to each other/other people?!

Anyway, I think I need to retire from this site for a while - a few too many "forceful" personalities for my liking. Meeting and chatting in cyberspace is undeniably beneficial but does it count as real "social" interaction?

Cheers for now...
Old 2nd February 2006, 10:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner

Anyway, I think I need to retire from this site for a while - a few too many "forceful" personalities for my liking. Meeting and chatting in cyberspace is undeniably beneficial but does it count as real "social" interaction?

Cheers for now...
Aye. I know what you mean.
Old 2nd February 2006, 20:19

Mood
Dreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by anne123456
If you go to User CP, you can edit your profile and under the biography section you can say whatever you like about yourself including your gender. Or you can use a female or male name to sign your posts if you want people to know your gender (or to deceive them as to your gender). I'm not a big fan of using a symbol system. Most of the time it shouldn't and (doesn't) make any difference whether the person is male or female and if you want to give more info about yourself, like your gender, you can in many ways-profile, sig, choice of username or by posting it.
Anne
So does that mean that it's a definate 'no'?
Old 2nd February 2006, 21:00
Founder

Quote:
So does that mean that it's a definate 'no'?
No, it doesn't. Just my opinion. But I feel pretty strongly against it.

I disagree with it in principle because I don't see why it adds anything and also thinks it's unnecessary when you already have ways to identify your gender, race, religion, pet's names, etc if you choose to. I see a point to the 'location' indicator as people organise a lot of meets. I already see a lot of differences between how men and women's posts are responded to and only see that being more widespread if it was made so obvious with the symbol system. The other reason I don't like it is that I worry about the fact that people (especially people new to db's) tend to give too much identifying information about themselves in this public forum-I don't want to encourage it more. This is a pretty safe board, but things have happened in the past (thankfully nothing too, too serious) and likely will happen in the future .

But, if most people think that will add something and not detract, I'll look into how to set it up. But so far noone has given, in my opinion, a good reason for adding this.

Anne
Closed Thread