SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 20th August 2015, 22:50

Default Addicted to saving money

Hello again

Not been on for a while but I need some help/advice which isn't really associated to SA but I thought this is the best place to ask.

I think I am addicted to saving money and it's getting worse...

I enjoy saving money and after 3 years of paying for an online course I have finally saved up to a goal amount of money but now I am broken this goal I am finding it harder to spend money even on things I really need.
For example I needed a new pair of shoes as mine had holes in and the bottom of one was hanging off but instead of buying a new pair I used duct tape and covered my shoes in it to "Fix" them. My boss then saw this and went to her house where she had some old shoes her husband had and gave them to be telling me to throw my old ones away.
I am also finding that I am not eating a lot at lunch at work as I don't want to buy anything costing more than £2 if that.

I feel bad; I feel like people are laughing at me or criticizing me behind my back for this but it feels so good to finally have money as my job doesn't pay a lot so it takes a lot to save money.

Any advise or help people can suggest. You see I also use the lack of spending money as a reason not to go out of the house so I only go out to go to work and that's it.
Old 20th August 2015, 22:57

Default Re: Addicted to saving money

That's the problem I put most of my money over to my savings and leave a minimum amount in my normal account which I don't like dipping under as if I do I start having panic attacks and I worry I am running out of money.
Old 20th August 2015, 22:58

If all you do is go out to work and that's ok with you then why not spend a little of what you've earned to buy a new pair of shoes? You can get them pretty cheap these days, look on it as an investment to your work so you turn up looking somewhat presentable rather than walking in with duct taped shoes!
Saving is a good quality, don't waste money but buy what you need.
If you have savings then £20 on a new pair of shoes can't be a bad thing.
Old 20th August 2015, 23:01

I know and the rational part of my brain tells me I should do that but I get all anxious and panicked doing that. I also need to by some new cloths as these ones I have had for like 3 years and starting to wear down except I don't feel save trying on cloths in shops.
Old 20th August 2015, 23:04

Most shops you can return. Buy them and if they don't fit or you don't like them when you get home you can just return it and get that money back.
If the whole shop experience is to traumatic then why not try buying online?
Old 20th August 2015, 23:07

Yeah I have done the whole buy it and try it at home but as going out is usually a spare of the moment thing opposed to a planned thing I tend to not go back for a while and either forget about them or take to long to return them. Also I don't like going out unless I have many things to do as I don't like to waist fuel.
Old 21st August 2015, 08:22
Banned

Mood
Melancholy

I'm a little bit like this. I save a set amount every month and also set aside a weekly amount for general spending, which is basically my pocket money. Anything left at the end of the week gets saved and I then withdraw week 2's money.

I'm probably saving too much, and I only really buy clothes etc when I see a really good deal. My last jacket cost £18, shoes £23 and I got a decent suit from Next clearance for about £40. All decent stuff and feel and look decent quality.
Old 21st August 2015, 09:40

I think your ability to save is commendable but you've recognized it's becoming a problem and is not sustainable. Without budgeting for necessities such as food and clothes, your current level of saving can't be maintained and eventually you will have to dip into it to replace some item you haven't budgeted for. I suspect this would be very upsetting and demotivating, to see a large chunk of your savings disappear on something you hadn't allowed for. I suggest you look again at your budget, set aside some for pure savings and another amount for expenses which you know you will have to spend eventually.
Old 21st August 2015, 10:22
Banned at own request

I am a bit like this too, occasionally I will spend out on big "things" but my day to day living is absurd. When I cook it comes from the reduced section, I buy clothes that will last for years and years and then dye them when they fade rather than replace them. All repairs to anything house/car etc are done myself.

It partly comes from years of being unemployed but not wanting to sign on but also these things generally avoid interactions. If I just walk to the reduced part of a supermarket, choose my meal and then get the ancillaries I need to go with it then it avoids the entire back and forth choosing stuff.

For myself I try to just be aware of things that may look odd and find a way to make it look better. I did have to point out that I am not wearing the same clothes for a week, I just have multiple copies of the same items, which I change every day. I hate it when people make bad assumptions that suggests they think I am a slob when actually I am just "life efficient"

I replace my clothes and shoes with identical but new versions of the same so the buying experience is easy. I just go back online and order the same again, I already know the cheapest place, I know they will look ok and last well, and I know the size. All I have to worry about is the dreaded postman or that evil red 'you were out' card.
Old 21st August 2015, 21:10

Mood
Bored

Im the complete opposite,i spend too much although im starting to change slowly but surely but I like things like buying new clothes and little things here and there.