SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 18th August 2015, 16:30

Default table for one

This old chestnut. Researching for a solo trip I came across these encouraging articles:
http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...enjoy-yourself
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddr...ing-alone.html
AS I think I've mentioned before, I'm less nervous about being alone in a strange place than in my home town even though nobody knows or cares who I am here. Not sure I'd want to be placed at a table with a giant moomin though.
Old 18th August 2015, 17:28
Banned

Default Re: table for one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca-boo
I'm totally okay sitting on places on my own where it's a counter service and you find a seat; McDonalds, Starbucks etc. but I don't think I would be comfortable going alone for a table service. Interacting with the waiter, sitting with nothing to really occupy yourself as you wait for the food, sitting with nothing to really occupy yourself as you wait for the plates to be taken away. I like the idea of it and probably would feel empowered by it, but not very relaxed.
Yup. That's me.
Old 18th August 2015, 20:05

Yes I'm ok with cafes and Macdonalds kind of places during the day but I really want to go to a restaurant for an evening meal. I just can't imagine doing it in my home town but I think if I was in a strange city, staying in a hotel, I would feel more comfortable about it, like I could pretend I was travelling in some work-related situation and eating alone was just a normal part of my regular life. I know nobody's going to ask but I feel I have to have some kind of cover story. I think maybe early evening before it's busy would be the best time and I'd be very particular about the type of restaurant, nothing too trendy or upmarket. hmm I really want to do this and I think once I've done it once it won't be so daunting the next time.
Old 18th August 2015, 20:06

I prefer going alone, and do so frequently.
Old 18th August 2015, 20:07
Banned

I can sit in a coffee shop alone not doing anything. A window table is preferable so I can look outside, but I don't have a problem sitting alone without a prop.
Old 18th August 2015, 20:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Simon-
This old chestnut. Researching for a solo trip I came across these encouraging articles:
http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...enjoy-yourself
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddr...ing-alone.html
AS I think I've mentioned before, I'm less nervous about being alone in a strange place than in my home town even though nobody knows or cares who I am here. Not sure I'd want to be placed at a table with a giant moomin though.
Does the giant moomin get its own meal? Do you split the bill evenly, or just pay for your own food?
I bet restaurant critics usually eat alone, so you're likely to get a better service anyway...
Old 18th August 2015, 22:05
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

Last time I was in Brighton I really thought about eating somewhere on my own but just couldn't do it. Felt too weird, which is a shame cause there's some interesting eateries.
Might give it another try I guess...
Old 19th August 2015, 01:47

Mood
Balanced

I wasted too many years not going to restaurants on my own, after biting the bullet I now go to restaurants and hotels on my own, and I am not the only lone diner in the place.
And a little tip, if you can sit at a round table, the feeling of lone dining is not as apparent as looking at an empty place directly opposite.
Old 19th August 2015, 13:35
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by les
I wasted too many years not going to restaurants on my own, after biting the bullet I now go to restaurants and hotels on my own, and I am not the only lone diner in the place.
And a little tip, if you can sit at a round table, the feeling of lone dining is not as apparent as looking at an empty place directly opposite.
Hotels shouldn't be a problem as there are thousands of reasons a person might be staying in a hotel by themselves.
Old 19th August 2015, 17:11

Have been to hotels on my own on many occasions and eat on my own in the hotel bar/restaurant, but wouldn't dream of booking a restaurant table for one or even just going to a drop in any time restaurant on my own. I understand why people here would set it as a big milestone to overcome and indeed you should be proud to do it, but even without SA I wouldn't want to dine out alone, just think I would prefer to get a takeaway or something.

@Simon - Have to agree I'm the very same with other things, when I'm in a different town/place where it is very unlikely that I will run into any familiar faces I am much more comfortable. Good luck with organising the trip.