SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 28th June 2021, 13:24

Default Re: What didn't you know until recently?

That people don’t need to like you and vice versa.

I notice with some people the silent treatment seems to hurt less now or either I have found a way to ignore the pain of it. But I’m just realising I’m not a bad person so no one deserves to guilt trip me to feel like I am a bad person.

Saying this I will probably still complain about being hurt by others here on SAUK and might take the silent treatment offensively in certain situations.
Old 3rd July 2021, 17:28

That at least 1 in 40 people are affected by fibromyalgia syndrome worldwide (80% of which are women) and it is commonly characterised by widespread pain throughout the body, as well as fatigue and emotional distress
Old 3rd July 2021, 17:39

Mood
Breezy

My sister suffers from it, it's not much fun.
Old 3rd July 2021, 22:40

^ I'm very sorry to hear that Percy

Someone who suffers with it said that my symptoms sounded similar so I've been doing a bit of research. Not sure I'm any the wiser
Old 3rd July 2021, 23:11

Mood
Breezy

Thank you consolida
Old 5th July 2021, 15:21

Mood
Cynical

I saw in this article that they're starting to think that fibromyalgia and ME may be caused by an autoimmune response and that long covid might be the same.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...Sbenn661Tpe8AY
Old 7th August 2021, 06:48

How others make you feel is a reflection on how you feel about yourself

https://youtu.be/u1ddxB7sAEs
Old 17th August 2021, 12:08

0.5% of the world's population are direct descendants of Genghis Khan. Un-f*cking-real.
Old 17th August 2021, 12:39

Isn't everyone with blue eyes supposed to have a single shared ancestor? That's almost 10% of people on the planet.
Old 17th August 2021, 12:46

^ Yeah that's true, I'm sure I read something about that blue eyed people share a common ancestor many many thousands of years ago, around 10,000 years ago. Although, when you consider Genghis Khan was around in the 13th century, only a few centuries ago.
Old 18th August 2021, 10:09

Mood
Breezy

Genghis khan must have been a real stud.
Old 18th August 2021, 14:23
Banned at own request

Not on the scale of Genghis Khan but

Quote:
If you’re vaguely of European extraction, you are also the fruits of Charlemagne’s prodigious loins. A fecund ruler, he sired at least 18 children by motley wives and concubines
So you’re related to Charlemagne? You and every other living European…
Old 19th August 2021, 10:53
Banned at own request

Deepest hand dug well in the world
Old 26th August 2021, 06:55

About sleep restriction.

It’s like the keto for sleep as it breaks mainstream rules but from experience seems more effective that mainstream rules.

Basically sleep restriction involves spending less time in the bed and waking up the same time everyday. I think this is because it encourages you to sleep when you are actually sleepy and this improves sleep quality.

I have did this for two days, although last night, I couldn’t sleep instantly despite going bed at 12am I think because I was tired around 10pm but ignored the sleep signals. I worried that I may end up walking up at 1am or something and not being able to sleep again as that has happened a lot. Since doing sleep restriction I definitely feel more tired waking up but seem to have better sleep and feel more refreshed and less fatigued.
Old 26th August 2021, 07:55

How much of an issue it is that we are in an age of misinformation. Maybe by the end of this decade the wider society would realise that just because we have much more info doesn’t make everyone that shares it an expert and how misinformation can mess people up.

In the age of misinformation we literally shouldn’t always go with the herd.
Old 27th August 2021, 20:30

CBT is established as an effective treatment for depression and anxiety disorder and can sometimes be more effective than psychiatric medications. However, it only helps an average of 45 percent of depressed patients.

Had my first CBT session and it felt like the therapist was dismissing my situations. I don't feel, currently like I want to continue. I actually did a somatic experiencing session few weeks ago and it was good but too expensive for me. Maybe it's best to help myself.
Old 27th August 2021, 21:12

Mood
Cynical

^ It might be worth carrying on with a few more sessions of CBT incase there's anything you can get out of it. But yes it's definitely not helpful or appropriate for everyone.
Old 27th August 2021, 22:06

Mood
Tired

^^ Maybe you would do better with ACT? It's more about accepting your thoughts and problems (there's more to it than that though obviously), than telling yourself it's just a matter of reframing your thoughts (like CBT)

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
Old 27th August 2021, 22:06

It's likely I'm seeking another therapist or quitting. ^Yeah, I saw some people recommending ACT and DBT over CBT for threads along the lines of feeling that their therapist gaslighted them.
Old 31st August 2021, 17:42

Never allow someone to dictate how you should feel about yourself.

I realise I have been doing this all my life and this makes me an easy target for bullies. I’m starting to realise self acceptance is the answer to bullies, especially mental ones. Dirty looks and gossip doesn’t get to you when you truly accept yourself and the truth as you realise you aren’t a bad person so the persons actions aren’t a reflection of you. You realise you are doing your job or aren’t a bad person so gossip doesn’t get to you. I mean realise as in genuinely feel you aren’t bad.
Old 2nd September 2021, 22:26

How much you hear your neighbours when you live in a flat.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk
Old 2nd September 2021, 22:35

Mood
Lonely

^ tell me about it!
Old 3rd September 2021, 10:07

Mood
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3stacks
^^ Maybe you would do better with ACT?
I really like ACT. The Happiness Trap is a great book on it. Well worth a few hours reading it just to see if it might be for you.
Old 4th September 2021, 00:13
Banned at own request

Christopher Biggins is a Brexit supporter - I'm never watching the ITV children's game show he hosted titled On Safari that ran from 1982 to 1984 again.

Also, I'd forgotten that On Safari was co hosted by Gillian Taylforth.
Old 5th September 2021, 15:38

Mood
Alienated

^ Saw his interview with Farage - didn’t realise he was a top political analyst (apart from in Panto season of course).

————-

Most of the London Underground is actually overground.

Also, at Whitechapel station, the Overground platforms are underneath the Underground platforms.

I always like a geeky train fact.
Old 5th September 2021, 18:19

^ oooh I love finding out stuff like that. all the underground rivers in London fascinate me too!
Old 8th September 2021, 22:55

I had no idea that liking a McDonalds milkshake was a thing. They taste like sugary instant mash potato. They should just do that recipe: instant mash, sugar, put a drop of vanilla extract and pink food dye in it - no one is gonna tell the difference.
Old 11th September 2021, 11:33

The US standard railroad gauge (distance between the rails) is 4 feet, 8.5 inches. That's an exceedingly odd number. Why was that gauge used?
Well, because that's the way they built them in England, and English engineers designed the first US railroads. Why did the English build them like that?
Because the first rail lines were built by the same people who built the wagon tramways, and that's the gauge they used. So, why did 'they' use that gauge then?
Because the people who built the tramways used the same jigs and tools that they had used for building wagons, which used that same wheel spacing. Why did the wagons have that particular odd wheel spacing?
Well, if they tried to use any other spacing, the wagon wheels would break more often on some of the old, long distance roads in England . You see, that's the spacing of the wheel ruts. So who built those old rutted roads?
Imperial Rome built the first long distance roads in Europe (including England ) for their legions. Those roads have been used ever since.
And what about the ruts in the roads?
Roman war chariots formed the initial ruts, which everyone else had to match or run the risk of destroying their wagon wheels. Since the chariots were made for Imperial Rome , they were all alike in the matter of wheel spacing. Therefore the United States standard railroad gauge of 4 feet, 8.5 inches is derived from the original specifications for an Imperial Roman war chariot. Bureaucracies live forever.
So the next time you are handed a specification/procedure/process and wonder 'What horse's ass came up with this?', you may be exactly right. Imperial Roman army chariots were made just wide enough to accommodate the rear ends of two war horses. (Two horses' asses.)
Now, the twist to the story:
When you see a Space Shuttle sitting on its launch pad, there are two big booster rockets attached to the sides of the main fuel tank. These are solid rocket boosters, or SRBs. The SRBs are made by Thiokol at their factory in Utah . The engineers who designed the SRBs would have preferred to make them a bit fatter, but the SRBs had to be shipped by train from the factory to the launch site. The railroad line from the factory happens to run through a tunnel in the mountains, and the SRBs had to fit through that tunnel. The tunnel is slightly wider than the railroad track, and the railroad track, as you now know, is about as wide as two horses' behinds.
So, a major Space Shuttle design feature, of what is arguably the world's most advanced transportation system, was determined over two thousand years ago by the width of a horse's ass. And you thought being a horse's ass wasn't important? Ancient horse's asses control almost everything... Author unknown.
Old 11th September 2021, 14:57
Banned at own request

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewyear
The US standard railroad gauge (distance between the rails) is 4 feet, 8.5 inches. That's an exceedingly odd number. Why was that gauge used? .....
Interesting but see: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ra...auge-chariots/

Quote:
The eventual standardization of railroad gauge in the U.S. was due far less to a slavish devotion to a gauge inherited from England than to the simple fact that the North won the Civil War.
Old 11th September 2021, 20:57

There are more stars in the universe than grains of sand on earth, but more atoms in one grain of sand than stars in the universe.

Nose bleed time y'all.