SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Issues and Conditions
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 2nd October 2019, 07:42
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Default Agoraphobia on tv programmes

Agoraphobia on tv programmes . It's almost always shown as something a character has at a very high level. Often it's a character that hasn't been out of their flat/house for a long period of time, i.e years.
It's all about dramatic effect. The truth be damned.

The truth being that it isn't always that severe . Sometimes you can get out of the house, but you get really anxious of being in unfamiliar places on your own. The fear being you'll get lost and trapped. You can out of your flat/house on your own but stick to a very small , and safe, area that you know.
Old 2nd October 2019, 08:17

Default Re: Agoraphobia on tv programmes

I don't think I've ever seen a character with agoraphobia on television, but like everything in fiction, there's more drama in extremes. It wouldn't be as interesting to the viewer if someone had a mild problem.
Old 2nd October 2019, 14:01

Mood
Relaxed

The only show I recall with an agoraphobic was Game On. Matthew's condition was pretty severe, but I liked it that way as it mirrored my own agoraphobia and was funny*.

*At the time. I re-watched an episode a few months ago and it was bloomin' awful.
Old 2nd October 2019, 16:39

Yes for TV there will always be an element of drama or humour about it so it's not likely to reflect the reality of the condition for a lot of sufferers.

There's an elderly character in the new Scarborough comedy on the BBC that I think has agoraphobia. It's very subtle and it's funny because she projects it onto her neighbour and says she's concerned that he hasn't left the house and is frightened, etc. But whoever she's talking to says they saw the neighbour in the shop, down the pub, etc.
Old 2nd October 2019, 22:05

Mood
Bashful

Yes, I'm struggling to think of a storyline in a TV show featuring agrophobia .Mind, as I don't watch any TV soaps that's probably not surprising. I rather think it could make for a good plot device providing it was handled sensibly and with input from those who are familiar with the condition.